Amp for rti a9

I just ordered Rti A9s and am looking for amps.

I found a QSC 900 USA Series. Do you think this is going to be a good match for these speakers?

First post. Excited to get experthe advice as I am beginner
Thanks

Comments

• oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Welcome to the room, lots of great advice here.

As far as pro amps, not a ton of love for them it seems.

I'm sure others will chime in with much more knowledge and advice.

FWIW, I started with a crown amp, some vintage stuff. After a while, I took the advice of those here, moved to a Parasound 2250 and the difference was like going from night to day.

Enjoy the ride and hold your wallet tight...
  • musichigh
    musichigh Posts: 40
    edited January 2017
    I am in Canada and was looking for parasound 2250 but can't seem to find any.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Lots of used options, rotel, b&k, parasound, and nad are probably the highest recommended because they all have a neutral to warm signature which will play nicely with the rtias.

Good luck!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • sgtmick63
    sgtmick63 Posts: 166
    I second the parasound 2250.
  • I didn't realize I had to spend over a grand when I bought these speakers. It was such a good deal that I had to buy the A9s
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I don't know how many posts over the years that people have come on the forum with smoked tweeters, blow crossovers, and other issues with the A9's....but

A9's have probably been one of the #1 problem speaker for consumers because of under powering. Big speakers, great value, but need to be fed.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • I am leaving it packaging until I get the right amp
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited January 2017
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    I don't know how many posts over the years that people have come on the forum with smoked tweeters, blow crossovers, and other issues with the A9's....but

A9's have probably been one of the #1 problem speaker for consumers because of under powering. Big speakers, great value, but need to be fed.

The amp for my A9 thread has been beaten to a pulp on here.

EDIT: that being said I don't mean to scare the OP. Lots of great info on here. Juice up those A9's properly and you will love them. I've been there. Good luck.
    Post edited by mikeyb128 on
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    musichigh wrote: »
    I am leaving it packaging until I get the right amp
    You can run them without fear with some of the beefier AVRs, and most AVRs with pre-outs fall into this category. Just don't push the volume to insane levels. What model AVR are you planning to use?
  • musichigh
    musichigh Posts: 40
    edited January 2017
    I wanted to get the Yamaha RX481, was going to buy the receiver first until I got the greatest deal ever on the rtia9s.

I was originally going to get 2 stage3D5 speakers and a LF300 subwoofer with the Yamaha RX481, but while I was contemplating them, the rtia9s popped up and I was blown away, not just by the specs, but also because there were 3 seven inch speakers on just one speaker.

Now it seems I am in more of a dilemma that I want to spend my money as wisely as possible. I don't want to throw money at a receiver now knowing that I will need something more powerful to get the best out of my speakers. I went 15 years without proper audio in my house so now I want the real deal for the next 15 years.

Currently all signs are pointing to buying parasound 2250, mainly because of the 275 watts per channel at 8ohms which matches up with the A9s.

While there are probably other ways to power my speakers, I am just not enuf of an expert to just bridge and connect multiple power amps.

I am basically starting with the Rtia9s first and getting everything else.
    I am considering buying guide some equipment used but that would most likely be a reclever with pre_outs so that I can connect to the amp.

Everything that I have read so far seems to indicate I am on the right track with this approach.

I know these speakers would sound even better with 500 watt per channel but that is something for me to consider in the far future.

I am now looking at the experts on this forum to just guide me in the right direction.

I just want to enjoy music. While doing that I will also decrease the amount of TV that is buying a hole in my wallet with cable bills.
  • polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171

Welcome,

What part of Canada are you from?

And for what it worth you don't need 500 watts a Parasound 1200 or 1500 would make those speakers sing or any of the other models that were suggested.... I had a pair of RTI A 9's for a while myself and never had no issues driving them with my Parasound 1500a. But it's not watts you need it's amps the 1500 is 60 amps peak to peak the 1200 is just a tad less at 57 amps. I also ran them on a couple of B&K amps sounded great as well.

As for a receiver as long as it have pre-outs so you can add a external amplifier you're good, I'm a Yammy guy so I would suggest a Yamaha Advantage 1010 or 2010, both models have most of the bells and whistles unless you're into 4K TV if so you will have to step up 2040 I think.

And don't be intimidated get your read on and enjoy the ride.

Cheers
    Roger

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Musichigh, are you looking at setting up a HT system, or 2 channel audio system.

Reason I ask, is that if your going the 2 channel route, there are other options.

In that case you may want to look at integrated amplifiers, and not AVR's.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    I just want to enjoy music.

In my opinion.....take that statement. Hold it close to your heart.
    It doesn't take tens of thousands of dollars to enjoy the music.
    BUT.....and it's a big but ;) ..if you want to fine tune that experience...get the 2250 and a some good cables.
    We can TELL you what to think. But it is up to you to to decide what you love about presentation.
  • polk500 wrote: »

Welcome,

What part of Canada are you from?

And for what it worth you don't need 500 watts a Parasound 1200 or 1500 would make those speakers sing or any of the other models that were suggested.... I had a pair of RTI A 9's for a while myself and never had no issues driving them with my Parasound 1500a. But it's not watts you need it's amps the 1500 is 60 amps peak to peak the 1200 is just a tad less at 57 amps. I also ran them on a couple of B&K amps sounded great as well.

As for a receiver as long as it have pre-outs so you can add a external amplifier you're good, I'm a Yammy guy so I would suggest a Yamaha Advantage 1010 or 2010, both models have most of the bells and whistles unless you're into 4K TV if so you will have to step up 2040 I think.

And don't be intimidated get your read on and enjoy the ride.

Cheers
    Roger

I am from Vancouver.
  • rpf65 wrote: »
    Musichigh, are you looking at setting up a HT system, or 2 channel audio system.

Reason I ask, is that if your going the 2 channel route, there are other options.

In that case you may want to look at integrated amplifiers, and not AVR's.

I am going for the 2 channel route. Music is mainly driver
  • I should mention that I will be picking up a Sony STRDH130/CA 2channel hi-fi receiver later this week. It is one of my friends so it will give me the ability to try it out. I believe this has 100 watts per channel at 8 ohms

I know the a9s are usable between 50-500 watts but at least it will be a start for me

• rpf65
    If you're looking for a 2 channel system, don't even look at AVR's. They are designed for HT surround systems. Because the emphasis is multi-channel processing and amplification, trade offs are made. They offer a lot of bells and whistles, but concentrate less on sound quality. Not to say there are some that are very capable at reproducing sound, but again they aren't really designed for 2 channel systems.

When it comes to 2 channel systems, separates are obviously the best choice. Again there are trade offs. More components, and usually more expensive.

Next is probably an integrated amplifier. Think of it as a 2 channel receiver, without things like streaming capabilities and a tuner(radio) built in. All they do is process the signal of whatever component you plug in, and power your speakers. This leads to better power supplies, and higher quality sound, because there is a lot less signal interference.

My opinion is if you're a budget minded person, look at integrateds.
  • I agree that the integrated amp is the way to go. this article really explained it quite well for me. Atleast now I know that integrated amp is different from power amps etc... Maybe you experts can weigh in on the article?

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-rQfFgCEqvS1/learn/integrated-amplifiers-buying-guide.html
  • NAD 2 Channel 180 Watt Stereo Integrated Amplifier (NADC316BEE) seems to ok...
  • rooftop59
    NAD 2 Channel 180 Watt Stereo Integrated Amplifier (NADC316BEE) seems to ok...

that's a nice little integrated for efficient little monitors, not the monsters you just bought.

This more like what you need: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_745C375BEE/NAD-C-375BEE.html?tp=34948&awkw=75621859945&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=47439152065&awdv=c&awug=9027501
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • I think you are right. I misread read the specs.
    Not sure what I am going to get yet. Tomorrow I will test out my new speakers...
    Will keep tall posted.

Ps. Any expert advice on speaker wires?
  • Just spent two straight hours online looking at integrated amps. Very discouraged now. Maybe I bit off more than I can chew with these RT I A9s....
    Contemplating if it was really worth getting.
    If I pair it up with the right integrated amp, is the sound really going to blow me away compared to 1000 dollar home 5.1 system?
  • rpf65
    Don't get discouraged. If I were you, I'd spend a good deal of time scouring the Canuck Audiomart for integrateds and power amps. Find something you like, and then decide the route to take.

If for instance you find a deal on a power amp, then a pre/pro should be in your sights next. The best choice would be a 2 channel, but an HT pre/pro would work for a while. Of course there is also an option of a AVR with preouts. Should be a lot available considering all the format changes of the last couple of years.

In answer to your question, unless you just don't like the Polk sound, there is no way a 1k HTIB system will out preform those A9's.
  • polk500
    Hey Brother,

I can't speak for all members of this forum but I can say from being on the forum for a few years that most started off just like you I know I did.
    Started with a cheap 5.1 system thought it was the cats meow, but after awhile I realized that it was lacking a piece of crap really and moved up to Polk Moniters 70 got a better AVR but after awhile same thing but less crappy.
    Then I got online got my read on found the Polk Forum started reading and paying attention too what these folks were saying about speakers, amps, wiring and what not.
    Started looking for deals and have built a couple of in my opinions great systems for not a lot of money.
    So don't get discouraged Audio is a journey and a lot of fun, you can spend a lot or little money it's up to you.

Hang around share the journey.

Cheers
    Roger
  • Thanks for the feedback and advice. A long journey is the key. I am really looking for great sounding music and no 5.1 or soundbar has ever given me what I crave.

I will need to read other threads to figure out what to do once I have an integrated amp.

I wish I could have had a parasound 2250 available here in Vancouver. Would have made everything a lot easier.

I am a big lover of all music, my MP3 collection is just over 110gb and over 500 original cds that I haven't listened to in years. Looking forward to a complete system.... eventually
  • rooftop59
    I think you can be happy without going all out. Say an adcom GFA 555 or parasound HCA 1200 and a simple pre or even older ht receiver with preouts, and the sound will rock!

And yes, this will destroy a $1k HTIB...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • polk500
    Why don't you PM me, I might be able to help you out in your quest for a amp...
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    One more tidbit of advice....don't say MP3 around here, that's a 4 lettered word around these parts. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Hey guys me again. I have been doing a lot of looking around and came across the Pyle-Pro P2001at 2000w Hybrid Pre Amplifier with Am/Fm Tuner.

These are so cheap that it has got me thinking about it. Does anyone have any advice about these?

Thanks
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I'd say stay away...while they are cheap enough, their sound is too. Your best bets for those speakers are used B&k amps, Parasound HCA series, McCormack dna 1, ranging from 350 to about 800 bucks on the used markets. Don't forget about using decent cables too to hook it all up.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable