Do you prefer to Listen alone?

13»

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Seems like a very lonely Thread.

But I have to join in and say I usually listen alone but prefer listening with others. It's nice to share the experience of music.

I play my guitar alone but would prefer to play with others.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Well I've lived alone for 16 years, so I wouldn't know...
  • doctor r
    doctor r Posts: 837
    cg2h11gfdpws.jpg
    So... more chairs might be useful?
    integrated w/DAC module Gryphon Diablo 300
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    phono pre Dynamic Sounds Associates Phono II
    turntable/tonearms Origin Live Sovereign Mk3 dual arm, Origin Live Enterprise Mk4, Origin Live Illustrious Mk3c
    cartridges Miyajima Madake, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, Ortofon
    speakers Rockport Mira II
    cables Synergistic Research Cables, Gryphon VPI XLR, Sablon 2020 USB
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
    ultrasonic cleaner Degritter
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    doctor r wrote: »
    cg2h11gfdpws.jpg

Not sure your cat will agree.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    I have two buddies who love audio just as much as me, and we love the music. Question is who prefers listening alone? With friends? 80% of the time it's just me and my dog. My Girl friend spends less and less time down here with me. And when she does she's annoying, and gets both our dogs barking and rowdy, throwing balls and toys etc. I then proceed to kick her out as she doesn't respect "my room". I enjoy drinks and music with only a select few friends. And my room is my place to relax, unwind, and get all the issues of life off my mind. Is this only me? Am I losing it? Lol

To speak as my wife would..."I totally feel you" (San Diego chick).

You're within your right :) The Music has many functions, back ground noise, accompaniment, partnership, etc etc etc but probably the most important in "our" case, medicinal function!

My wife gets this, if we're doing family stuff, we'll have background music, if I'm in "listening" mode, she's great about leaving me alone and giving me my space and time, as I do with her when she has her show, or when she has her "read" time (I've already blown these times so I've learned :# )

Ken B. from this forum came over once, it was awesome!! Even though we spent time getting to know each other, it was all about the music. We demoed several tracks, had a few beers....good times!

I'll get a little personal here but I believe it fits the case here. I have a chronic pain issue, left knee is toast and will need to be replaced in the not so distant future.

As my issue is handled through the V.A, I spent a lot time in pain management courses. During one session, the Dr. asked me, "Do you enjoy music?" Well, I just couldn't wipe the smile off of my face, I told him, "way ahead of you doc, I spend plenty of time with my leg elevated and iced while I get into the music to help distract me from the pain" He said good good, this is great therapy.

My wife asked me the other day, "Are you buying CD's again?", I just looked at her and said, "It's for therapy honey" She just laughs, and is so great about it, some days she'll ask me, "how was your day, do you need some therapy time?"

Some of the guys on this forum that know me best know that I lucked out big time in the WAF department, heck, my wife bought me my first AVR and half of my second speaker upgrade. When I have a dedicated room, she pretty much doesn't care what I do with it..........so long as I tell her first B) My first wife would have absolutely nothing to do with any of it........sad for her :neutral:

I bet, if you haven't already, sit down with your GF when you've made her a nice dinner, and explain what "listening" mode means to you, ask her if she has any similar "times" that she would like to have, and she will respect your room like no other!!!! Now and then she may even want to become part of that time with you if you share similar music interests.

You're not losing your mind brother, I "totally" get it!
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • doctor r
    doctor r Posts: 837
    Willow wrote: »
    doctor r wrote: »
    cg2h11gfdpws.jpg

Not sure your cat will agree.

True but he only likes classic rock... leaves when jazz is played.
    integrated w/DAC module Gryphon Diablo 300
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    phono pre Dynamic Sounds Associates Phono II
    turntable/tonearms Origin Live Sovereign Mk3 dual arm, Origin Live Enterprise Mk4, Origin Live Illustrious Mk3c
    cartridges Miyajima Madake, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, Ortofon
    speakers Rockport Mira II
    cables Synergistic Research Cables, Gryphon VPI XLR, Sablon 2020 USB
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
    ultrasonic cleaner Degritter
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    My wife loves music and she's been pretty cool about helping me with audio related things when I can't get it done myself.

She has pretty good taste in music and she's been able to bring some music to my attention which I didn't listen to or know about before that time.

That said, she doesn't really "get it." She thinks every setup I've had sounds really good and doesn't understand why I keep making changes. She likes listening to music on the setup in the living room but she's afraid of doing something wrong and messing it up (she usually asks me to set it up for her).

She went with me to AXPONA last year but doesn't have an interest in returning this year. I have to give her credit, at least she gave it a try and I appreciate her being there as, I believe, her ears are better than mine and I wanted an objective opinion on what we heard that day (which is exactly what she provided).

Long story short, to really get into the music, I usually have to be alone.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited January 2017
    ^^^Well better than I did,

One more thing that I'm sure you know...she's a keeper ;)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Thankfully for me my wife likes a lot of the same music as I do and likes hearing it on the 1.2tl's at least as much as I do. So I try to not listen alone.

You are a lucky man, my friend.

Like you, I prefer to listen with my wife. However, she likes to talk at times, and we have significantly different preferences for volume level.

Nevertheless, I'd rather spend the time with her and compromise on "silence" and volume. I have plenty of time alone to listen alone and as loud as I like.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Willow
    For those of you solo listeners, do you surf while listening?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Willow wrote: »
    For those of you solo listeners, do you surf while listening?

Was never able to keep my balance, plus the waves here in TX aren't that great unless there's a storm
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    I tend to surf when im listening. Im not much of a super critical listener anyways
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Willow
    Same here I'm on my phone while I listen
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    One thing I love about the iPad is I can sit in the sweet spot, and surf the Internet. The iPad turns the Internet into a magazine that I can pick up, read, respond to, and all without having to get up and use the computer. Goes good with listening to music.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Listening right now in the sweet spot with the dog, no one is home, and I'm surfing as we speak. I use an iPad Air or my phone. Second tablet (a Samsung) is dedicated to tidal duties.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    Same here, me and my dog and my tablet. I use a single tablet to control my bluesound node 2 and surf at the same time. Ultimate convienence
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    Mostly Alone. My wife just does not understand the concept of just shutting up, listening to music, and going somewhere else mentally for a while. One of the reasons I made my 2 channel room with only one seat. Occasionally we will listen to something together in the living room but its never critical listening.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    ^^^ the concept of shutting up and listening to the music, lol!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• andrew82
    andrew82 Posts: 144
    Definitely alone. Normally with a drink and/or a good book.

That being said, I really enjoy sharing and listening to music with a few friends, great way to find news tunes while also hanging out.
  • Hey guys this is my first post ever on here (so hello all) although I've been surfing through the forum for years. There is a wealth of information here that I find invaluable as a die hard polkie.

I have three daughters and a wife (not much quiet time here) so for years the HT in the living room was comadeered by the family for one reason or another. One day I realized that I hadn't just sat down and listened to music like in my younger days so I decided (with mamas approval of course) to put together a system in our bedroom for my quiet listening time (and yes alone). Originally it was supposed to be just a two channel dedicated system for music only but as usual I got a little carried away. LOL

Now my little bedroom system sounds better than the living room HT just with a smaller TV.

The system consists of:
    Polk 8tl - Main
    Paradigm Cinema CC - center
    Energy Take2 - rear
    Definitive Technology ProSub 800
    Kimber Kable Classic4PR - all channels
    Onkyo Integra DTR-7.1 (used as a pre-amp for now)
    Onkyo M504
    Sony BluRay BDP-S1200
    Pioneer DV-563A
    Vizio 32" HD
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    I know a guy who repairs electronics for a living. He told me the other day that "What's old is new again."

Kids/teenagers/young adults are having listening parties again (usually with vinyl). These same youngsters are raiding their grandparents house for the console stereos and the vinyl scores. lol. Hey, I'm sure grandma & grandpa don't mind the grandkids having a few friends over to listen to a little music!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Forever alone guy here!
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Only surf when the music is "background" music and it's not a critical session.