Cary preamp owners

Options
Just wanted to get a heads up on who owns Cary preamps on this board and what they think.

Thanks
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    SLP-03 here and have felt no urge to upgrade or replace it.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    SLP 03 as well. Love it! Tube rolling is Addictive and Will only be leaving if replaced by the 05. Using NOS 1956 RCA long black plate 12AU7A in it right now, talk about a huge soundstage, I think I have acquired around 100 tubes for this thing in a year... YIKES!

I have tried a few SS pre amps, all I can say is tubed pres are 100 times better, it's nice to roll in a new flavor once in a while.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Had a bid on a SLP-03 last week, but got outbid. It went for a pretty lowish price so I probably should have upped my bid.

You guys are really making me wish I would've!
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    mine will be received back at Carey tomorrow. Its is a very nice pre.
  • JuanR
    JuanR Posts: 718
    Options
    I don't own a Cary Audio Preamplifier (yet) but I do own a PH-302 MkII Phono. Let me start by saying this is one HELL OF A PHONO! I changed the stock rectifier with a Mullard rectifier and the main 6SL7's with RCA 5691's....WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, what a magnificent improvement! I have the Cary Audio phono connected to a Rogue Audio 99 pre-amp to a Rogue Stereo 100 amplifier to my Tyler Acoustics Decade D-10's...I have never enjoyed vinyl like I do right now...EVER!!!

I am considering going to a Cary Audio slp-05 or 98 or 03...eventually.... right now I honestly cant' do it...but not sure how much i'll gain over my Rogue Audio 99??? I know some of you guys owned Rogue gear but not sure if you have tried it with the RCA 5692's or Sylvania 6SN7WGTA tubes but let me tell you - WOW! TUBES MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE!!! Try them also on your Cary gear and thank me later....

My Cary Audio phono sounds absolutely magnificent with the Mullard and RCA tubes...
    Anybody that knows about rectifier tubes knows that Mullard Steel base or early f31 tubes are the ABSOLUTE HOLY GRAILS ALONG WITH THE RCA 5691 & RCA 5692 tubes for the 6SL7 and 6SN7 positions! I am trying to get my hands on the steel base rectifier at a reasonable price...maybe in the future...

You guys that own the Cary Audio gear SHOULD try the tubes I just mentioned... I HIGHLY recommend them...

Let mew know if you have any questions.....

Juan
  • JuanR
    Options
    Joey your Pope tubes should also be FANTASTIC!!! just try and get them back! I think if you install them in the critical positions the six you have is all you need...Call Cary and find out which positions on the 05 are the critical ones....by critical meaning they are the positions that impact sound the most.
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    Had a bid on a SLP-03 last week, but got outbid. It went for a pretty lowish price so I probably should have upped my bid.

What did it go for? Initially their list was 3000$, then lowered to 2200$. I picked mine up for 1400$ CAD new in box. When I do see them come up used, they seem to sell quickly.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• WagnerRC
    Options
    Tubes 7 and 8 are for the headphone amp.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    Options
    JuanR wrote: »
    Joey your Pope tubes should also be FANTASTIC!!! just try and get them back! I think if you install them in the critical positions the six you have is all you need...Call Cary and find out which positions on the 05 are the critical ones....by critical meaning they are the positions that impact sound the most.

I only have 4 Popes sadly... not 6.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »

What did it go for? Initially their list was 3000$, then lowered to 2200$. I picked mine up for 1400$ CAD new in box. When I do see them come up used, they seem to sell quickly.

It was an auction that ended at $1,100.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options

It was an auction that ended at $1,100.

That's what I got mine for, brand new, in the box with NOS Mullards in Black.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited January 2017
    Options
    JuanR wrote: »
    I don't own a Cary Audio Preamplifier (yet) but I do own a PH-302 MkII Phono. Let me start by saying this is one HELL OF A PHONO! I changed the stock rectifier with a Mullard rectifier and the main 6SL7's with RCA 5691's....WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, what a magnificent improvement! I have the Cary Audio phono connected to a Rogue Audio 99 pre-amp to a Rogue Stereo 100 amplifier to my Tyler Acoustics Decade D-10's...I have never enjoyed vinyl like I do right now...EVER!!!

I am considering going to a Cary Audio slp-05 or 98 or 03...eventually.... right now I honestly cant' do it...but not sure how much i'll gain over my Rogue Audio 99??? I know some of you guys owned Rogue gear but not sure if you have tried it with the RCA 5692's or Sylvania 6SN7WGTA tubes but let me tell you - WOW! TUBES MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE!!! Try them also on your Cary gear and thank me later....

My Cary Audio phono sounds absolutely magnificent with the Mullard and RCA tubes...
    Anybody that knows about rectifier tubes knows that Mullard Steel base or early f31 tubes are the ABSOLUTE HOLY GRAILS ALONG WITH THE RCA 5691 & RCA 5692 tubes for the 6SL7 and 6SN7 positions! I am trying to get my hands on the steel base rectifier at a reasonable price...maybe in the future...

You guys that own the Cary Audio gear SHOULD try the tubes I just mentioned... I HIGHLY recommend them...

Let mew know if you have any questions.....

Juan

I have found while the 5691 "red base" tubes are very good, there are other 6SL7's out there that have a better soundstage, tighter bass and a more open sparkly top end. Don't get me wrong thee 5691 is a very nice tube, but not what I would call a Holy Grail tube.

1950's Brimar 6SL7's and Valvo 6SL7's are the Holy grail in my travels. These are the absolute best sounding 6SL7 on the planet. With the Sylvania JAN CHS 6SL7WGT being a very close second.

http://www.tubemonger.com/Brimar_MPs_1957_CV1985_6SL7GTY_SQ_GT_STCFootscray_p/774.htm

The early 50's Sylvania JAN CHS 6SL7WGT tall base, black plate is absolutely phenomenal if soundstage is your thing. It puts right in the 2nd row, a simply fantastic tube like it's cousin the JAN CHS 6SN7WGT (known as the chrome dome)

My somewhat on topic .02c

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    In my limited experience with tubes I no longer believe in "holy grail" tubes, or "best 12AX7 (for example)", as every system and room are different. I've tried "holy grail" tubes in my system that sounded horrible. And tubes that got rave reviews that sounded harsh. It's so system dependent.

I would much rather spend less cash on tubes that aren't super expensive from all the hype. I can't believe what some tubes go for these days.
    Think I payed 50$ US for 4 of my 56 RCA LBP's and they sound better than almost any European hyped up tube I've tried for a 1/4 of the price. I've learned to like a tube that is balanced from top to bottom with out any emphasis in certain areas.

Of course in my system with my person preferences.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I still believe in holy grail tubes, but there is some truth to what you say. I've had great tubes sound average in some gear and visa versa.

But I have tubes that sound great in everything.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • WagnerRC
    Options
    2-3 week turn around for an rma..... nice
  • Joey_V
    Options
    WagnerRC wrote: »
    2-3 week turn around for an rma..... nice

Hoping for a fix and you get your 05 back in full working form Bob
  • WagnerRC
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I sent in a 10 year old pass preamp that had no warranty and they fixed me up in 2 days with no charge. Now that is customer service. This is very poor service in my book. Blame it on a holiday back up..... come on. **** or get off the pot.

and Thanks Joey. I appreciate it
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    In my limited experience with tubes I no longer believe in "holy grail" tubes, or "best 12AX7 (for example)", as every system and room are different. I've tried "holy grail" tubes in my system that sounded horrible. And tubes that got rave reviews that sounded harsh. It's so system dependent.

Give this man a ceegar, he nailed it.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Cary has a long history of build quality issues and don't expect great customer service from them.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• WagnerRC
    Options
    Thank you Jesse. I was unaware of their track record.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Just my experience, I've owned 4 Cary preamps and none have been an issue. When I call them, I speak to a live person each time. The one time we dealt with a repair on their 306SACD, they were still on point and did it, but granted, it did take a little bit of time.

I would say they are not the fastest, but they do respond to their customers.
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    I've heard a mix 50/50 on Cary reliability. My favorite local hi-if shop stopped selling them for this very reason. So far my pre-amp has been top notch. (Knock on wood)
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Joey_V
    Options
    I've heard a mix 50/50 on Cary reliability. My favorite local hi-if shop stopped selling them for this very reason. So far my pre-amp has been top notch. (Knock on wood)

I think their bigger issue is that they started selling direct and undercut their dealers.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Cary has a long history of build quality issues and don't expect great customer service from them.

My experience as well.
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    Regardless of these issues, still going to buy an 05 one day. My manual for my 03 recommends leaving it on 24/7 lol. It does sound best after about 24 hours, and I tend to flip it on Friday before work, and doesn't get shut off till Monday or so. My basement is like a fridge This time of year, keeps that Cary nice and cool. Have to flip on the space heater 15 Minutes before listening.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• F1nut
    Options
    Mikey, I wouldn't blame you as there is no doubt that Cary makes some sweet sounding gear. Not to mention, they certainly are not the only audio company to have an issue here and there. In reality, I believe they all do......kind of a pick your poison thing.

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Indeed, but like you said, they all do to some extent. Personally I think the more complicated designs come up with the most issues. The obvious differences also comes in with who stands behind their product. Pass, Bryston, Polk, even a new company like Backert Labs was offering exceptional customer service. Many others too.

Cary does make great sounding gear, and they've been in the game long enough so anything less than stellar CS. is pretty much unacceptable in my view. In tubed gear, to me anyway, it always seems the pieces with the most tubes in them have the most issues for some reason. Especially amps....

It's a shame though, as good as Cary is SQ wise, customer service has plagued them for years, more so than others. You'd think someone over there would be working to improve that part of their image in a field that seems to get more crowded every year.

Hope it reaches you in tip top shape Bob.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    Options
    SL-P05 owner here. Want to sell mine since I don't use it much.

Cary makes decent looking good sounding tube stuff. There are better stuff out there for a lot more $$$$$.

Ask Joey!
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • JuanR
    Options
    megasat16 wrote: »
    SL-P05 owner here. Want to sell mine since I don't use it much.

Cary makes decent looking good sounding tube stuff. There are better stuff out there for a lot more $$$$$.

Ask Joey!

Please post some pics...

Thanks
    juan