Sub $200 blu-ray player Update

Options
Hello,

Well I got the new Panasonic DMP-BDT460 today. Hooked it up and had it running in about 5 minutes. Just watched Sully(good flick) and was a little impressed.

Blu-Ray playback was good, about equal to my Sony and better than my Samsung. Audio was good on Sully

Checked Netflix and the menu was nice and quick playback was very good.

Check an MP4 and MKV off my NAS and was very impressed. Menu was quick going through the library and playback was great. Picture was best I have seen coming off the NAS. So far this is the most that stands out for me on this one.

Is it an Oppo, heck no! Is it a good player, yes. Is it worth the $170 no, glad I had gift cards. I would get the Sony over this unit. Time will tell if it is worth it or not.
When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    I have an (older) Samsung BDP in the master bedroom that I feel the same way about;
    as long as it does what you want it to, and does it well, that's all that matters.

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    Options
    Sony or an Oppo.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    Options
    Just curious, is your player hardwired to your NAS or via WiFi?
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    monepolk wrote: »
    Just curious, is your player hardwired to your NAS or via WiFi?

I pissed the wife off and hardwired the family room. It was easy, router and switch is above the garage. drop down into the garage through the water heater closet the go under the stairs and I was there. Hardwire is the way to go if you can.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    Sherardp wrote: »
    Sony or an Oppo.

If you have the funds get an Oppo,

Sony dropped out of the high end BD player around 2010 with the BDP-s5000ES I think being the last one https://www.amazon.com/Sony-1080p-Blu-ray-Disc-Player/dp/B001J6N8BW Used market is still to high. A friend has one and still loves it to this day.

We just watched a couple of flicks on the Panasonic. It is a very good player but for the money I would get the Sony 4K player over the Panasonic. I have a Cinavia free Sony BDP-S580 in the same setup so I didn't want the remotes interfering and something like a firmware update happening.

The one standout is playback from my NAS. The Panasonic is by far way better than any of my Sony players, Samsung or WD live hub
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Have a Sony BDP-S6500 and Panny DMP-BDT320. Sony has the better picture, but the Panny sounds a lot better. There's an audio setting feature on the Panny, and it really does improve the sound. Don't know if your's has that feature, but if it does check it out.