RTIA vs Signature Series

Hey All,

Another noob question and owner of Rtias.

Now I been researching Polk, the new signature series seems to be getting alot exposure or marketing. What is the main difference between the 2? Which has better sound which I know is subjective and comparison in build quality?

Thanks,
RB
Living Room
Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables

Comments

• Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited December 2016
    Great question!

Maybe the Polk website could be updated to a make distinction between the crowded price points. Or maybe an announcement that the RTiA series is being discontinued. Or...something.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • I don't know the main difference between the 2 but the sound from the SS series was amazing when I demoed them at my local BB.
    Epson 3020 projector. Da Lite screen. Oppo 103. Yamaha CXA5000. B&K 7250ii. HSU VTF2. Def Tech Supercube 4000. Polk Rtia9 CsiA6 FxiA6. Monster hts 2600. Home theater.

Bedroom consist of NHT model 2 powered by Parasound hca1200ii coming from my computer.

Stuff laying around. Too much to list but don't want to sell either.
  • That's coming from an owner of rtia9.
    Epson 3020 projector. Da Lite screen. Oppo 103. Yamaha CXA5000. B&K 7250ii. HSU VTF2. Def Tech Supercube 4000. Polk Rtia9 CsiA6 FxiA6. Monster hts 2600. Home theater.

Bedroom consist of NHT model 2 powered by Parasound hca1200ii coming from my computer.

Stuff laying around. Too much to list but don't want to sell either.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    bummer they don't come in cherry.... I like the cherry of my RTi8
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    mrloren wrote: »
    bummer they don't come in cherry.... I like the cherry of my RTi8

I'm holding out for Babinga....
  • I can read spec sheets I am just curious how they sound compared to the rtia s. Only thing I have read is they are easier to drive?
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    The tweeter in the Signature series is smoother.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Thanks F1nut. Is the assumption that s60 is easier to drive than the a7 and does it have the same bottom end.
    Living Room

Office

• Thank you for the perspective and insight.
    Living Room

Office

• Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Good stuff when we get 'ears on' experiences, but what the f' is Polk's strategic product placement for the Monitor, T, TS, TSx, RTiA, Signature, LSiM series?

It's like - 'throw some cr@p against the wall and see what sticks'.

A noob to the website would have no clue as to what Polk's target is for each of the lines.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    DSkip wrote: »
    I find the s60 easy to drive and suspect it would do quite a bit better on lower end and middle of the road receivers. I love the s60.

In all, I think the Signature series would be easier to live with long term than the rti series.

I've had my RTi8 for about 8 or 9 years now. I was always pushing them with Sony ES receivers (2100ES 5300ES and 5700ES) It was always hard to tame them down. My new Marantz has tamed them beast nicely. Now come the S series and hmm Oppo comes first, the only thing that might stop me is no big center like the CSi5.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited December 2016
    The brief encounter I've had with the S series has been nothing short of eye(ear) opener. Hearing them first hand at Skips and then throwing all but a wrench and a shotgun blast at the now famous signatured Signature S20.....Matts'....bang for the buck you can't go wrong in that price point.
  • How does the rti and signatures centers compare. That S 35 is intriguing.
    Living Room

Office

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    How does the rti and signatures centers compare. That S 35 is intriguing.

I defer to Dskip...
  • F1nut
    My opinion, the RTiA series have a nicer looking cabinet that uses real wood veneer, the cherry version is beautiful. They have a better build quality and the floor versions come with spikes. The only downfall is the bright top end. However, that can be addressed in a number of ways such as careful gear matching, calibration adjustments if used with an AVR, speaker cable choices and if one wants to get serious, upgraded crossovers.

The Signature series appear to be more entry level in comparison, but for the money offer decent performance.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• I think building out my new system I was bit compulsive and should have solicited advice prior to my recent purchases.

Over the last 3 months I purchased, a7s, csia6 and last week the a3s. Also a new Yamaha rx-v681. The problem is there is nowhere to really audition equipment and all but the avr was purchased online. I went with Yamaha due to having them since late 80s and Polk from hearing them many years back and recalling how good they sound. As much as I hate to admit I was drawn to the aestetics and cherry wood of the rtias

My first impression of the Rx-v681 was that it seemed to stuggle to really drive the LCR. I posted another inquiry on this site and determined I needed more and better power or smaller fronts. So I returned thr rx-v681 and upgraded to the Yamaha Aventage rx-a1060 which is a much better avr and it has preouts so I could later add a amplifier. Also Santa dropped off a pair of a3. I have been trying different configurations and tweaking the settings but still am not overwhelmed with the a7s, I have to play them loud to get a full sound but the highs are pretty bright.

All but the csia6 can still be returned and this is what led me down the Signature series path and all the questions. So I need to determine whether I will keep the rtia series and hope that adding a separate amp will take the edge off and offer a warmer fuller sound while at low and high volumes or go all in on signature series.

I guess I could have provided more background intially but wanted to get some general feedback around the Signature Series. Also, I hate to admit I have been known to make some
    impulse purchases :/

RB
    Living Room

Office

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Some here frown upon how much "vintage Polk" gets thrown around when somebody is looking at new speakers but you really should hear them. You could get a pair of SDA 2B's for less than the RTiA7's you have now and I'd put $20 on the table that you'd like them better. A lot better.

Just one persons opinion. Good luck!
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Well that is what I am after is opinions and good sound. Music is primary uses case but same system is connected to my tv so a good center is important. Funny though you say that because in high school during the 80s I recall my friends dad having polks and that made a long lasting impression.
    Living Room

Office

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I will say this: There are people on this board with stereo equipment worth more than every possession I have that can obviously afford top shelf boutique speakers that still use the old SDA's. Take from that what you will.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    If you still have the opportunity to return your speakers, I say do so, and don't look back. Find a smoother sounding speaker that's easier to drive, and build around that.

Your experience with your RTi/A's mirrors that of my own with RTi10's, similar to your A7's. I asked Polk about the difference between the RTi10's and RTiA7's in the beginning, trying to decide between the two, and was told essentially same speaker, different cabinet design. With that, I'll share my experience with you.

In my experience, the recommended 200wpc amps by Parasound and B&K did not make enough of a difference to make the speakers listenable for music. Bottom line, ime in this case, amps are most likely not going to take the edge off, nor add the warmth and fullness you're after if music is your thing.

I also tried various preamps and processors as well. The speakers were still too bright for my liking, sounding shrill, cold and empty. Similarly, I felt the volume had to be at higher levels than comfortable to near anything approaching balanced output from them, and even then, the top end just seemed to completely trample everything else. I really wanted to like those speakers, but I just couldn't ignore the problem, and my sensitivity to it just kept growing as my ears bled more and more. (nobody makes me bleed my own blood. Nobody!) I was beginning to hate listening sessions. At best, I had to dial back the treble and bump the bass, but that still wasn't comfortable.

I'm 3 years into this now, almost to the day, and I still have those RTi10's and a CSi5 sitting in a closet, with original boxes. I swapped them back in a couple of times in different rooms, as well, to see if my ears had settled. Nope. I tried to sell them once a couple of years ago, but no interest. These speakers are good for HT, especially the center, but not at all for music, imho.

The centers are good, and people still want them, so you could sell your CSiA6, but the mains seem harder to move. Personally, I'd have a hard time selling the RTi10's to someone, knowing that the casual consumer wouldn't have the gear required to properly drive them, and that they would not be pleased if they had even the slightest bias toward a music system. They'd have to go to someone who has chosen that speaker because they actually like/want them. Point being - don't get stuck with those A7's.

If I were you and wanted to stick with Polk, I'd definitely be inclined to start over with the Signature Series, or move on to something else, entirely. Personally, I moved into LSiM and vintage Polks, which are much more to my liking. I've not heard the Signature Series, but I think had I started off with something like that in the beginning, what these are supposed to be, that I may have settled my system much sooner, and not gotten as deep into this hobby as I have, good or bad. I mostly enjoy it, like where I am now, but it can be frustrating and expensive if you go too far in the wrong direction trying to make something work that just isn't the right fit. Square peg, round hole.

Sorry to sound so doomy/negative, but I really hate those speakers.

Amps are still largely beneficial, but I'd say get out while you still can, try the Signature with your Aventage, and consider adding an amp later.

Easy to get caught up. Same thing happened to me. I wanted to try everything I read about here, and all at the same time B)
    I think building out my new system I was bit impulsive and should have solicited advice prior to my recent purchases.

All but the CSiA6 can still be returned and this is what led me down the Signature series path and all the questions. So I need to determine whether I will keep the RTiA series and hope that adding a separate amp will take the edge off and offer a warmer fuller sound while at low and high volumes or go all in on signature series.

I guess I could have provided more background initially but wanted to get some general feedback around the Signature Series. Also, I hate to admit I have been known to make some impulse purchases
    I disabled signatures.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Well that is what I am after is opinions and good sound. Music is primary uses case but same system is connected to my tv so a good center is important. Funny though you say that because in high school during the 80s I recall my friends dad having polks and that made a long lasting impression.

You can still warm them up some as F1NUT suggested if you can't return them. Find a McCormack or Parasound, B&k, amp on the used markets, some MIT speaker cables and interconnects....or others from the likes of Kimber and Acoustic zen, Analysis plus.

For a smoother tweeter, the Sig. series, LSIM series are your best bets. Both series are fairly easy to drive too with any midline and up receiver.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Thaaat's right, Tony, keep leading him toward the hole. He's ripe to slip right in, lol
    You're one of the best recruiters on the board B)
    tonyb wrote: »
    You can still warm them up some as F1NUT suggested if you can't return them. Find a McCormack or Parasound, B&K, amp on the used markets, some MIT speaker cables and interconnects... or others from the likes of Kimber and Acoustic zen, Analysis plus.

For a smoother tweeter, the Sig. series, LSiM series are your best bets. Both series are fairly easy to drive too with any midline and up receiver.
    I disabled signatures.
  • tonyb
    Ha...just giving the man options is all. With a decent receiver and the Sig series or LSIM's....he won't need an amp to drive them. Have to put the puzzle together in his head so he knows where to spend the money.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2016
    Welcome RB. Since you are able to return the speakers, you should do so and go with the Signature. You could spend a ton of money trying to find a way to tame that RTiA tweeter and not accomplish it. It's best to get different speakers.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2

• Yeah, I like TonyBs and F1Nuts suggestion of McCormack, Parasound, B&k and hi-end cabling but I am not there yet. Not saying I will not take that path at some point but for now I just want to listen to some music at various volumes and enjoy it without constantly changing the settings to take the edge of the A7. They sure are pretty but I am boxing them up today. The A3s are already boxed and I guess I have a csia6 for sale though the center sounds pretty damn good but I assume the timbre will not pair well with s60?

RB
    Living Room

Office

• F1nut
    I tamed it.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Well that is what I am after is opinions and good sound. Music is primary uses case but same system is connected to my tv so a good center is important. Funny though you say that because in high school during the 80s I recall my friends dad having polks and that made a long lasting impression.

You'll never get good sounding music using an AVR, even with an external amp.

President of Club Polk

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited December 2016
    F1nut wrote: »

That is quite a huge sweeping generalization and obviously not true at all.

You have listened to every AVR made?
    With Every type of external amp?

Never is such a huge sweeping generalization.
    Sorry have to call B.S. on this comment.

Post edited by K_M on
  • F1nut
    I know the truth is hard for you to deal with, but try.

BTW, I'm still waiting for the answers to my questions.

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    F1nut wrote: »

I'll attest to that. Well, might get good, but not great.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's