Marantz Reference Series: the SA-10 SACD

This new Reference Series: the SA-10 SACD looks like it will be a killer unit.

ca.marantz.com/ca/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=ReferenceSeries&SubCatId=&ProductId=SA10

From what I am reading, it will be about 7k so I will need to wait for one heck of a sale but, it's nice to know Marantz is keeping up on high end equipment~!
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.

Comments

• Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Out of my price range, but still...would love to hear it in action!

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    edited December 2016
    Its at the top of the list for me. Might pick one up in the next few months. Have been reading about it for the last month. My only concern is the cost. $6999 in the most recent Music Direct catalog. Many others in that price range to consider. Esoteric K-05x??
    Post edited by tratliff on
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    That might be some tough competition. Although it seems the Marantz might do more with up-streaming redbook to dsd. ( if I am reading it right)
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    i like my 14s1 I picked up from Skip at a steal, 7k is moving in to a new neighborhood for me. Also would be interested in checking out the DMP from PS Audio http://www.psaudio.com/products/directstream-memory-player/ however, I noticed on the website it's claiming to "unlock" the DSD it needs to be coupled with one of it's DAC's pushing it in to the $7,500 to 11k range.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    The Directstream and cdp combo can easily be obtained for $3300 and $1200 but never tried the dsd through the cdp on my Directstream.

That Marantz will hit street prices for $5500 and thats a whole lot of cheddar coming from those guys. You always seem to get way more for your money when it comes to Marantz so I am super curious as to how good that thing really is. Esoteric and stuff is good so the fact that they are entering their market must mean they are pretty sure of themselfs that they have an amazing unit. By the looks of that page reading all the specs I suspect that this is going to be something pretty special and I am looking forward to getting my hands on one when they hit the used market.

I have been playing my Marantz NA 11S1 for nearly a year now and its my go to unit when I hook up the VAC monoblocks with a Chord preamp. I just recently tried sold the Chord Hugo and did a shootout between the two, at the end of the day I greatly prefered the sound of the NA11s1 against that and the Mcintosh D150.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    edited December 2016
    Pfb I agree with you. They have to be darn confident with this unit at that price range since there is a lot of amazing sounding units currently out for competition.

Skip, we need a demo roadshow >:)o:)
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    @polkfarmboy I was interested in the Chord dacs. Tried to find a place to audition one, but, Cary NC was the closest place and it wasn't like I was going to be in the neighborhood. Glad you shared that because as happy as I am with the 14 I still had an eye out for a Chord.