Morbid - How do you prepare for your demise as it relates to your audio system

Options
Maybe its just me but sometimes I think about my eventual demise and one of the things I really dont have an answer for is my 2 channel audio system.

My wife is not technical and will not come close to my 2 channel rig. She would not know what to sell it for or how to to dismantle.

I suppose I could leave a page of notes on about what she should try to get for each component and where to list it but I doubt she would go for that.

Anyone else think of this and have a plan they would be willing to share?

Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    It belongs to my son...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I created a spreadsheet with sales price no less than $**** for each piece

Along with the phone numbers for Skip Halen and Russman
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    I created a spreadsheet with sales price no less than $**** for each piece

Along with the phone numbers for Skip Halen and Russman

Thats a great idea, I dont know anyone close enough I could make such a request.

I think I will create the spreadsheet and go from there.

Not expecting to check out anytime soon but I would like my wife to be able to get something close to fair market value if something did.

I was riding my motorcycle Saturday and this pops into my head, maybe it was the 37 degree temps affecting me.
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Agree with Skip, find a family member and leave instructions along with references to certain members here that would help.

OR, just leave it all to me. Let me know when your done and I can arrange for an errant garbage truck to come down your street as your leaving for work. :)

Funny you had those thoughts while on your bike. My neighbor was just riding his new Harley here in town when some moron blew a red light and took him out. 20K damage to the bike and he spent a week in the hospital but he's alive. Just sayin'....I know most bikers are pretty responsible people and your always on the look out for the idiots but crap happens sometimes. You just can't foresee every possible scenario on a bike.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • thsmith
    Options
    Thanks TonyB and DSkip, good ideas. I think providing my login to this site and password in the spreadsheet and a list of people I trust here would be a good plan.
  • thsmith
    Options
    TonyB, been riding most of my life and have been down more than a few times. Some my fault some not.

I ride like every single car out there is gunning for me.

I was on the freeway when this pops in my head, 70 mph at 37 degrees probably had something to do it.

I was testing out my cold weather riding gear since I have not really ridden in the cold for a very long time.

Was invited to attend a ride next Saturday with the Patriot Guard Riders to Fort Leavenworth for Wreaths Across America.

I did stop by this one "biker bar" for a beer. My old Shovelhead was the only bike in the parking lot.

I did get some funny looks. No riding ****.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    oh, and please stop thinking about your death will riding your
    bad motor scooter. o:)
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
    Oh this is morbidy morb morbid! I leave a letter to my wife, give everything to Tony to sell and show him a good time in your swimsuit for helping.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I for one am sorry I read that.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Oh this is morbidy morb morbid! I leave a letter to my wife, give everything to Tony to sell and show him a good time in your swimsuit for helping.

Wait... did you just hypothetically pimp your wife out upon your death? Good lord, man.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    This actually just happened to a very good friend of mine who's whole life revolved around audio gear of every type. He died from unexpected complications from a kidney operation and made out his will on his deathbed. He had no family other than one sister and his girl friend neither of whom had any interest in his extensive collection. If it wasn't for him verbally transcribing his will most of that collection (which consisted of several rooms full of gear) would've gone straight to the dumpster instead of to me. His sister is a school teacher and her husband is a doctor so they really didn't need the aggravation of unloading all this stereo gear.

It was quite an eye opener for me and I've since vowed to not leave someone an overwhelming amount of gear to go through when my time comes. My wife knows the values of most of my now very manageable collection so it's no longer a worry on my part.

FWIW it took me a year and a half of constant gifting and selling gear to finally get things squared away on my friend's collection. Hopefully I've made him smile at the fact that I saved most of it from the dumpster as I did give it my best shot.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    I don't think about it, nor do I care. I will have gotten all the enjoyment out of it that I could. If someone wants something, they can have it, or it can go to the junkyard.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I don't think about it, nor do I care. I will have gotten all the enjoyment out of it that I could. If someone wants something, they can have it, or it can go to the junkyard.

Can't agree more....
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    It belongs to my son...

My amplifiers are heirlooms, the turntable is priceless... the gear goes to my son. I can only hope he will have an appreciation for them and treasure them for what they are.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Ironically I was contacted recently by a fellow polkie and asked should something go south on a procedure they are having at the end of this month, if I would be willing to help get his gear sold to make sure it gets sold at appropriate prices with all proceeds going to his daughters and wife.

I plan to pass most of my stuff down to my kids/wife and if they dont want it, well my cell has like 40 diff polkies phone numbers in it that I'm sure would help her price gear accordingly, or possibly even post it here for her to keep it in the family.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I'm taking mine with me when I beam up.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »

After meeting you......very appropriate Bud.
    So Cal in March 2017.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Serious question: What happens to your stuff if you die without a will? What about your pet(s), same?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    If your single get a will
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    BlueFox wrote: »

After meeting you......very appropriate Bud.
    So Cal in March 2017.

let me know when you get in town Russ...

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    edited December 2016
    Options
    This is an EXCELLENT thread.

I had this conversation (couple weeks ago) with my wife and my best audio friend who is local.

We have a pact that if something happens to either of us buddies, the other will handle the liquidation of the system, each of our main system is pretty expensive.

This is something that I'm serious about because of the sheer amount of money tied up in my single main system.

The wife will be richer than rich with my life insurance policy, and the system will barely make a dent... but the main system will be liquidated and will go to the kids college funds likely.

The secondary system will remain as it is more reasonable and gives them good sound. I doubt they would care about the minutias that I care about with my main system... it's just a waste... so the main system has got to go.

The logistics of packing and shipping and selling say the Boulder 2060, the speakers, the Emm labs, the AQ Wels are complicated. Tony my buddy will handle the sale.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • WTS
    WTS Posts: 170
    Options
    If it concerns you, put instructions in your will, or in a codicil: to whom the gear should go, and/or how it should be sold and how the proceeds should be distributed.

Or, maybe include informal instructions with your will. I suppose it depends on how much equity you have tied up in your gear.

I've been to a few estate sales as of late, looking for home furnishings. Sometimes stereo equipment is offered for sale. There were supposed to be Polk SDA speakers at one of them. Alas, they made an error, and the speakers were Klipsich. I bought a piece of furniture, but left the speakers for someone else.

Oh, I have over a quarter million miles under my belt on motorcycles. There are no guarantees in life, but there are concrete steps that one can take to improve one's odds out there on the road: lifelong training (via the Motorcycle Safety Foundation and similar courses); wearing proper protective gear head to toe, especially a DOT-rated full-face helmet; riding within your limits, the limits of the bike, and road and traffic conditions; riding sober; etc.

Keep the rubber side down!
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    This actually just happened to a very good friend of mine who's whole life revolved around audio gear of every type. He died from unexpected complications from a kidney operation and made out his will on his deathbed. He had no family other than one sister and his girl friend neither of whom had any interest in his extensive collection. If it wasn't for him verbally transcribing his will most of that collection (which consisted of several rooms full of gear) would've gone straight to the dumpster instead of to me. His sister is a school teacher and her husband is a doctor so they really didn't need the aggravation of unloading all this stereo gear.

It was quite an eye opener for me and I've since vowed to not leave someone an overwhelming amount of gear to go through when my time comes. My wife knows the values of most of my now very manageable collection so it's no longer a worry on my part.

FWIW it took me a year and a half of constant gifting and selling gear to finally get things squared away on my friend's collection. Hopefully I've made him smile at the fact that I saved most of it from the dumpster as I did give it my best shot.

So sorry for your loss.
    Kidney procedure you say? Oh great, I got one of those coming up myself D'oh.
    Better refresh my list of crap to unload..
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    My wife gets everything to distribute as she sees fit. If she passes at or near the same time, then it goes to my kids. But I also have over 3/4 of a million in life insurance that she ends up with so I am not too concerned about what she decides to do with my audio gear. She will most likely continue to enjoy the theater.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    My wife gets everything to distribute as she sees fit. If she passes at or near the same time, then it goes to my kids. But I also have over 3/4 of a million in life insurance that she ends up with so I am not too concerned about what she decides to do with my audio gear. She will most likely continue to enjoy the theater.

Good amount of life insurance Z
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

Yes, we finally had a will made about a year ago. with four kids it seemed like it was about time! (life insurance came first, around the birth of our fourth). Everything goes to my wife. If we both kick it at the same time, everything goes to her brother and sister-in-law. They are great people, and while my BIL is not an audio nut like I am, he does appreciate it and has a nice Klipsch setup, and he would probably use part of it and sell rest. But more importantly, we both have really good life insurance so my children will be taken care of, which is my only concern.

I mean who gives a rat's arse what happens to your s#it after you die as long as your loved ones are taken care of? It's just gonna rot anyway people, just like everything else in this world.

With that happy thought, I'm out!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,877
    Options
    I'll leave it for my wife with a stipulation she can't sell it to buy some cute jeweled cube speakers. If she wants those buy them with your own cash and leave the two systems to the kids. We are more than covered in terms of cash should I pass before her, separate mortgage insurance covers the house, then individual life insurance, plus she'll get my very comfortable Government pension and benefits. Not worried about money.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Options
    I'm close enough to your locale and would be glad to help maximize returns if you sell. I sell and ship worldwide daily from NW OK, so it wouldn't be any problem. I agree that the easiest method is a simple page of suggestions to the spouse of who to call and where to sell and could be done with very little worry on their part. PM if I can be of service.

I don't see this as morbid at all, just a grownup way of taking care of business. We have all seen those curbside sales of premium gear for pennies due to the husband hiding their investment totals of their gear from the spouse.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options

So sorry for your loss.
    Kidney procedure you say? Oh great, I got one of those coming up myself D'oh.
    Better refresh my list of crap to unload..[/quote]

I'm sorry to hear of your kidney problems. My bud Dave had cancer in one of his kidneys and was assured by the doctor that the cancerous part could be removed. So rather than remove the entire kidney as is normally done they took out only the cancerous part. The procedure was a failure and sadly he only lasted a couple months after the operation.

Here's hoping and praying that your problems aren't as severe and your procedure is a success.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Serious question: What happens to your stuff if you die without a will? What about your pet(s), same?

Dude, never mind what happens to your stuff, the question you need to ask is what happens to you, especially if you don't die but are in a vegetative state.

You need to have a will and a health care proxy stating your wishes and who you want to carry out those wishes.

As for your stuff, most of it will probably get tossed since people will have their own stuff and won't need/want yours. If you have family, they will decide what happens to your stuff.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2