Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Harmonic technology.

Thanks I will add Harmonic Technology to the list. I see that the Pro-7 is their top tier speaker cable.
    DSkip wrote: »
    That's the exact reason I carry wireworld. Most brands I tried always had a veil to them. The wireworld seems to let the other components do the tuning.

WireWold cables are definitely on my list. Are the Eclipse 7 a decent cable if I could find a used set?
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I didn't notice a price range, and missed whatever current cables are being used. So, my recommendation is the entry Shunyata Venom cables (interconnects and power cables). Obviously, I am biased, but that is because almost every Shunyata product I have bought has exceeded my expectations.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    Any of these companies sell half meter RCA -> MXLR*? Or FXLR -> RCA**?

I still have more bigger stuff to tend to but...

About this time next year I'd take a serious look at ICs* first. The other** to follow.

Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • gp4jesus
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    ...pay attention to the connections...
    ++1000 quality, tight connections make a big dif!
    For speaker cables, I like securely connected spades or locking banana plugs.Also with cables, keep them as short as you can and minimize coiling.
    ditto!
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 744
    Options
    WOW a good cable thread so far :). I'm not trying to derail it. I have been curious how affordible $50-100? $100-200? balanced compare to the super high end RCA, like MIT and AQ. Are they 90% there, 95%? If you have ADCOM, Krell, Parasound, McCormack equipment, and an average listening room (as found in most homes) when will the differences become really small?
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    pkquat wrote: »
    WOW a good cable thread so far :). I'm not trying to derail it. I have been curious how affordible $50-100? $100-200? balanced compare to the super high end RCA, like MIT and AQ. Are they 90% there, 95%? If you have ADCOM, Krell, Parasound, McCormack equipment, and an average listening room (as found in most homes) when will the differences become really small?

Definitely a good cable thread.

I will try to address one of your questions.

My experience has been this:

The difference from stock cabling to low level cabling has been less dramatic, than the difference between mid-end cabling to high end cabling.

I speak from AQ experience, mostly.

But I have on hand Acoustic Zen products that I have been listening to for a bit now.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,880
    Options
    As I mentioned earlier, I went from audioquest indigo to MIT avt 2 and I found a big difference. Then add new ics and even more of a difference but that jump wasn't as noticeable as the speaker cables but yet noticeable enough.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    pkquat wrote: »

Lots f variables to that question.

One's ability to hear....and listen can vary. The quality of the gear and speakers, quality of your listening environment/room. Lots of trial an error go into finding the right synergy your looking for what pleases your ears. One mans treasure is another mans ****.

Which is why I asked for your preferences in music and sound. Many good suggestions in this thread. AZ, MIT, Wireworld, Shunyata, AQ, Kimber, Harmonic Technology......and the list can go on and on.

Many of these brands you won't be familiar with, but many here are and can guide you to achieving the best results that you desire within your budget.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    " synergy" DRINK! :D
  • pkquat
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I was manly curious on the IC side of things, affordable balanced vs. the high end RCA. For speaker cables opinions and prices vary widely, so I guess with the amps etc. I already listed, I'll split IC question into two groups of speaker cable. The affordable (budget?) speaker cable Belden, Canare, lower priced Wireworld, roughly <$200 for most 10-15 ft cables, and the middle of the road <$500 cables (including some used) from AQ, MIT, Wireworld etc.

I guess I'll toss in a Parasound P5 (since it is regarded well here for the price and paired with the amps listed) or similar - slightly better separates (DAC & Pre) in to the equation to help round things out. The room is set up as a listening room, but not a dedicated one since it is often a living, family, bed, etc. room in the house. There is a sweet spot, and problem furniture has been moved or removed, but no real room treatments or detailed room studies. The speakers are vintage Polks with rebuilt crossovers, high end new Polks, and similar ones the same to slightly higher price range, because people here are familiar with their sound in general.

I'm asking the people with good ears, (and average ears) who notice this stuff more, think about it, have studied it, and spent the money on it. Its something they are interested in. What were the differences between low-mid balanced connections and ultra high end RCA? I am interested in how they compare below the nirvana, or perfect synergy point where many other things come into play.

In terms I understand better, I may have a high performance, non turbo / supercharged, engine that is designed to run on standard pump gas ($3/gal for 92-93), and driven on the street easily for over 100k miles. $5/gal race gas, can get a little bit more out of the motor, and be easier on it if you want to have fun at a track. $10+ race gas will be an improvement, but the gains will be small compared to $5/gal, especially for that type motor. While it can make the car faster, many other factors come into play at that point. Most people run regular, 88. 92 octane gas make the engine happy and is more fun for those who notice. That made the 80% range. $5/gal moved it the 90-95% range.
    Post edited by pkquat on
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Pffft, you guy's are a bunch of neanderthallic troglodytes! Monster Cable with the plastic center, excuse me, space age polymer air gap, is the only way to go. Either that or lamp cord.
  • gp4jesus
    edited December 2016
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    ... Monster Cable with the plastic center, excuse me, space age polymer air gap*, is the only way to go.
    Is that*what that is? Goofy!

I wondered why that was inside this roll of MC 15 somebody gave me. I've seen cotton string doing something similar in AR 12 gauge.

• Joey_V
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Seems like you want some hard #s.

Still playing with IC on my end.

But on the SC end, the difference between standard 12g OFC to Audioquest Oak is 40. The difference from Audioquest Oak to Audioquest Wel is 60.

If ideal were 100.

Basically what I'm trying to say, it ain't a curve that flattens to my ears but this is on a highly tuned system. It's not like there's only 5-10% left after a certain price point. But that's me and my experience.

You can google the pricing on an 8ft pair. It'll give you an idea on how much performance is left on the table even at higher prices.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • kharp1
    Options
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    ... Monster Cable with the plastic center, excuse me, space age polymer air gap*, is the only way to go.

I wondered why that was inside this roll of MC 15 somebody gave me. I've seen cotton string doing something similar in AR 12 gauge.

Again, I hate to sound like an elitist snob, however, I can't let the opportunity to educate you noobs pass. That string is a closely guarded proprietary design that acts as a static inducer whereby property aligning the electrons along the signal path resulting in the ever elusive "perfect sound" sought by audiophiles across this and every other galaxy. Not unlike the non-nutritive ceral varnish created by the food industry giant Clark Griswold.
  • Willow
    Options
    gp4jesus wrote: »

Again, I hate to sound like an elitist snob, however, I can't let the opportunity to educate you noobs pass. That string is a closely guarded proprietary design that acts as a static inducer whereby property aligning the electrons along the signal path resulting in the ever elusive "perfect sound" sought by audiophiles across this and every other galaxy. Not unlike the non-nutritive ceral varnish created by the food industry giant Clark Griswold.

English please
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    seems obvious to me. :#
  • Willow
    Options
    Sorry I missed it was in reference to the MC.
  • kharp1
    Options
    Really just an overall bit of poking fun at the slick promotions and wording used to try and explain why some pieces of accessories are going to coat an arm and a leg, or your first born.
  • pkquat
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Seems like you want some hard #s.

But on the SC end, the difference between standard 12g OFC to Audioquest Oak is 40. The difference from Audioquest Oak to Audioquest Wel is 60.

If ideal were 100.

Basically what I'm trying to say, it ain't a curve that flattens to my ears but this is on a highly tuned system. It's not like there's only 5-10% left after a certain price point. But that's me and my experience.

You can google the pricing on an 8ft pair. It'll give you an idea on how much performance is left on the table even at higher prices.

I take it you mean 40% improvement, and then 60% improvement as differences between the two listed. That is significant. Would you venture to say this holds true even for more standard equipment, but maybe not as much a noticeable difference, or would more standard equipment color things too much.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    Poor x

Period.

iipsc3bdc7rc.jpg
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited December 2016
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    vqvx9l162lz3.gif
    Look at all the greenhouse gases created. :o
    You could give your cables away instead of burning them. ;)

Burning them??!! Is this not the correct process of burning cables? I was lead to believe this made them sound better. Please correct me if I've gone about this in the wrong manner.
    I must admit that the idea was a bit extreme to take a $14,000 set of IC and set them alight. Only to place the charred remains in my hi-fi and be disappointed by the results.
    Tell me me more about the burned cable theory and where I may have faltered in putting this to a real world scenario.
  • kharp1
    Options
    The average consumer lacks the experience necessary to achieve proper "burn in." Where we're looking for the delicate smoke ring and light bark on the outside of our cables, yours method is what's referred to in the industry as "a dumpster fire."
  • kharp1
    Options
    How did we hijack this thread so badly?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Because it's a cable thread....duhhh
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • kharp1
    Options
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Boy this thread fell apart.
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Options
    Oh well. I got some good info to work with. I think I am going to get used to my gear for now. I will swap in some locally sourced balanced interconnects to see if there is any noticeable difference. In the meantime I will get rid of my leftover home theater stuff and use those funds to put towards cables in the future.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • Joey_V
    Options
    sgmsmg wrote: »
    Oh well. I got some good info to work with. I think I am going to get used to my gear for now. I will swap in some locally sourced balanced interconnects to see if there is any noticeable difference. In the meantime I will get rid of my leftover home theater stuff and use those funds to put towards cables in the future.

Just try not to go crazy on cabling like I did.