Didn't cut the cord...

Options
But did thin it out a bit, I signed up with DirecTV yesterday for TV service.

Took a long look at my Dec cable bill after it went up (again), and found they raised their fees on box/DVR rental by 25%. Coupled with a mediocre mid-level program pkg. @ $74.95 a month, + taxes/fees/surcharges, and I was looking at $132 just for TV. A phone call to their CS Dept. got nowhere, even after 20 years of steady service they just don't care it seems - they know we cannot get FiOS here, and so figure they hold the cards.
So I contacted DirecTV after doing some research and long story short, got their Choice level programming, free installation, with 4 boxes and a DVR (200 hrs HD), all for $66.39 a month, locked in for 2 years since I am already with AT&T for wireless. They also threw in a $200 Visa gift card.
I hope this works out, anyone here have any thoughts on DirecTV, throw 'em out there! : )
So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Here in Illinois, their internet connection is fairly slow compared to Comcast. Their picture quality is good, but being Sat driven you do get those occasional 30 second black outs or have to brush snow off the dish.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    Options
    wow! that looks like a pretty good deal!

man, I can't seem to cut the cord either. I'm a film person, and enjoy the programming on some of the indie channels like IFC, Sundance, etc. Kills me that I can't just order cable a la carte, since I only watch maybe 10 channels or so, so I end up sucked into multiple packages to get the programming I want. Also have the Weather Channel going all the time on mute with music playing in the background just for atmosphere. I go through these phases of complete and utter disgust with the service offerings. All these services have it nailed. They offer just enough to keep you, prices teetering on almost not worth it, and content limits that have you looking at multiple services to get the content you desire. Netflix and Amazon are okay, but most of the free stuff is all B or C movies, and now mostly shifted to tv shows it seems. Not really a whole lot there that appeals to me save the occasional A rated film. Binge watching old programming is what I think I enjoy most about these services, especially the long running programs. Watch an episode a night for a couple of months.

Also have a few shows I like on AMC and HBO.
    I added a TiVo a year ago thanks to a deal @billbillw shared with me, and I love that little device. Been recording a bunch of movies with the plan to shave the cord a bit for a few months, cutting back to basic cable and internet, catch up on films, and then do it over again, but eh, can't seem to manage it. Also thinking I could just cut it back to basic and internet, and just make a list of movies on the film channels that I'd like to see and get them on DVD/Bluray through Netflix or on demand with Amazon, but it's just not the same as being able to browse, record, and watch.
    I disabled signatures.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    The only draw back I can see to you switching from cable to sat service is internet connections.

If you're using DirecTV for internet, it's actually depending on ATT wireless for your internet service. Cable may give you better service than the sat option.

As far as value for tv service alone, I just don't watch enough tv to see any value in cable or sat service. So I really can't comment on that aspect of it.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    I should mention, I did not cut Optimum out all the way - we still have 2 VOIP phone lines and Ultra 101 internet with them (cost $35 and $70, respectively). Unless they raise their fees to insane levels, I will stay with them for both, as I consistently hit 110/40 Mbps on our LAN and have zero complaints. For example, items on Netflix typically load and run in less than 10 seconds, with no dropouts. I am almost done running Ethernet to every room in the house, so the only things needing wifi will be our iDevices (8 total).

@msg, I have been looking for TiVo, or something similar to it, for awhile now, and would have even considered new, but just can't stomach $549 for a lifetime signup. And their monthly charge is worse than Optimums', so that wasn't an option for me.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    Options
    yeah, TiVo had a promo running when I got mine, and the cost for it pays for itself in 15 months of DVR/box rental from the local cable provider, not to mention, the locally provided boxes here are horribly clunky. It was a no brainer in my case. If paying for DVR service, eventually it may even out depending on how long you have it, but with your current deal, agreed, TiVo may not make sense right now.
    I disabled signatures.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,334
    Options
    Hi polrbehr and good afternoon to you. Welcome to the DTV club. One thing they will never tell you is this...

Call them every two years or so. I have had DTV since a couple of years after they launched. They will most likely hook you up with something. I have called and gotten free upgrades, lowered bills, free equipment fees, free programming, lowered packaging costs, coupons for movies, you name it. Even if your two years aren't up, call them a year from now. You may get lucky.

You won't always get something but 90% of the time, you will. Some of the discounts and packaging will stay the same for years after the call and it all adds up.

Food for thought as time marches on.

I love DTV even after all of these years and losing the signal happens maybe 3X a year. When we do lose a signal? Well, we had better buckle down and prepare ourselves for a very severe storm that will hit within the next 10 minutes. Other than that, the signal is more reliable and digital snow occurs way less than cable.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • polrbehr
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thanks Tom, I am, by nature, somewhat reluctant regarding drastic change in general, and DirecTV in particular, so your info is welcome.
    When I called AT&T to bundle the billing and ask about upgrading my data plan, the CS rep said much the same thing you did. It can never hurt to ask for things, according to him they have what's called a "winback" dept. (yeah, I thought so too) and will do quite a bit to keep a customer. Optimum does not follow that belief however, as a half hour on the phone proved futile, making the decision to switch a lot easier.

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Is direcTV still Sat based? I've seen some decent combo plans, but don't want a dish on my home.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    Is direcTV still Sat based? I've seen some decent combo plans, but don't want a dish on my home.

Yes it is and I'm with you. Anti dish...
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    We cut full cable package years ago still have basic cable and Internet that's all we need otherwise it's streaming or Blu Rays. They still get you for the high speed Internet though. The main HT is only for tunes and movies blu ray or streaming don't have cable or antena hooked up to it.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    We have been using PlayStation vue for the last 8 months, which has been a pretty good experience. Recently, however, they have cut some of my kids favorite programming, such as Nick jr. Also, our NFL network on vue had Thursday night football blacked out for the first time. We're about to say sayonara.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • polrbehr
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    We cut full cable package years ago still have basic cable and Internet that's all we need otherwise it's streaming or Blu Rays. They still get you for the high speed Internet though. The main HT is only for tunes and movies blu ray or streaming don't have cable or antena hooked up to it.
    I'm ok with the hi speed internet charges, and may even upgrade my level to Optimum 200 with the money I'll save on DirecTV. Since I have a home-based business, and need 'net access, I can write off the entire cost. A few years back I even went so far to ask them if they can lower my TV portion and raise the online part of the bill; I got a blank stare for my effort and decided not to bother explaining why.
    We have been using PlayStation vue for the last 8 months, which has been a pretty good experience. Recently, however, they have cut some of my kids favorite programming, such as Nick jr. Also, our NFL network on vue had Thursday night football blacked out for the first time. We're about to say sayonara.
    We still like TV even though not as much as years past, so there's got to be something here. I'm also a sports junkie, but prefer to stay home to watch rather than a local watering hole. Why the bias against having a dish though? It's not like the olden days when sat dishes were 8' across... ;)

• jeremymarcinko
    Options
    I'm pretty sure my HOA doesn't allow it.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    I would never live anywhere that had a HOA.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    rpf65 wrote: »
    I would never live anywhere that had a HOA.

Pretty broad brush statement. They have a place..
  • treitz3
    Options
    Jeremy, there was a federal law passed that prohibits apartment complexes, HOA's and the like to prohibit dishes. As the HOA VP for two terms and the Pres for two terms, I can without a doubt say that I loathe HOA's. The house we bought 2 years ago has no HOA and that was our first listed condition when we went house shopping. She learned VERY quickly that we were dead set on no HOA properties as we didn't even look at a house that had one......even if the fees were $10 a year.

One of the best decisions we ever made.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Some HOA's will tell you that dishes have to be out of street view sight
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    In the end, I'm glad I don't have HOA in my neighborhood, because I know how easily they get out of hand. However, I can see the draw of them.

I would love to have someone that forces people to take basic care of their property. Nothing crazy, but mow your damn lawn, pick up your leaves if you insist on having a bunch of trees and keep your exterior fairly clean (no moss on the roof, stained siding...).

Oh, and if you're going to have an American flag, it better not be twisted, faded and torn. Show some respect.

My wife gave me hell for walking to one of my neighbors house and replacing his flag with a new one and taping instructions on his front door on how to properly care for an American flag...

There are a few homes in my neighborhood that just drag down the whole neighborhood.
  • JimKellyfan
    Options
    We cut the Direct TV cord years ago and with monies saved, bought our still in use Samsung TV, and two stainless appliances, gas stove and elec. dishwasher for the rented house (it wasn't rented at the time, so we had to buy all new again, doh, good problem to have I guess).
    That included the cost of antenna set up, and monthly/yearly premium vs choice plus.
    Up there near Charlotte, we went over the air, Netflix, NFL Game rewind and Amazon.
    Down near Chucktown now, we are going with the same plus Sling.
    Gonna drop Sling and go with PS Vue.
    Sling is not too bad and they give you two free or discounted streamers max. Reason for the drop is our first discounted streamer is a ****, the prime box, the remotes keep dropping communication and is a nightmare to use if that happens. seeing as we only get two discounted boxes, I figure we will try PS Vue out, as it looks to have more useful and movie channels (minus AXS TV).
    Hope this helps.
    Happy to have cut the cord, although we did enjoy direct TV too.
    :)
    Onkyo TX-NR636
    Main - polkaudio Monitor 60's
    Center - polkaudio CSI A6
    Sub - polkaudio PSW10
    Sub2 - polkaudio PSW505
    Surrounds - polkaudio Monitor 40 series II
    Front Height - polkaudio Monitor 40's
    Audio Outdoors
    Pioneer VSX 406 - polkaudio Atrium 5
    Shed
    Sony junker str-dn2010 with Sony bookshelf floor models and polkaudio R150's
    Shed 2
    Nakamichi soundbar
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    Harry, I've been a DirecTV customer for many years. We love it, and despite what others say, we suffer very few dropouts - only in the most severe weather. Maybe our dish is dialed in better than others, who knows? Anyhow, Comcast has never convinced me to switch back. Hope you enjoy!
  • treitz3
    Options
    The best goal for reception is to get the majority of transponders between 97 to 100%. Securing the dish to withstand any deviation from wind is very important and if it is in the ground, make sure that it is never hit by a lawn mower or tractor, as this will affect the signal. FWIW.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    So in other words Tom, encase your dish in a 4 ft. square block of concrete, gotcha man. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • factorz
    factorz Posts: 353
    Options
    I've been with Direct a few years now and love it. Like someone else said get in the habit of calling every 3-6 months to ask for freebies or discounts. I don't think I have ever called and not gotten my bill reduced or a few channels to try.

The best way to go about it is to use their chat feature on the Direct site. When the person comes on ask them for the CRG phone number and a pin. CRG is customer retention group and the pin allows you to go to the front of the line. You never had to sit on hold. Once you get a CRG person just ask them what they have for loyal rewards. Like I said its rare I don't hang up with something.

PM me if you have any questions.
  • polrbehr
    Options
    factorz wrote: »
    I've been with Direct a few years now and love it. Like someone else said get in the habit of calling every 3-6 months to ask for freebies or discounts. I don't think I have ever called and not gotten my bill reduced or a few channels to try.

The best way to go about it is to use their chat feature on the Direct site. When the person comes on ask them for the CRG phone number and a pin. CRG is customer retention group and the pin allows you to go to the front of the line. You never had to sit on hold. Once you get a CRG person just ask them what they have for loyal rewards. Like I said its rare I don't hang up with something.

PM me if you have any questions.
    Thanks for the offer, but how do you get something before you even get your equipment installed??
    They were supposed to do my install yesterday, the tech even called to ask if he could start earlier than noon, which I was OK with... then he called back and said it wouldn't happen for an hour or so. Fine, whatever. So he shows up at 3:45PM and sees how dark it's going to be in an hour, and running wires would take him til 10PM or so? So he says I can do a wireless system that way there's only one wire to run, but that it would cost me another $99. So he left without really doing anything, I called CS and rescheduled for today, same time.
    I am kinda PO'd because when they assigned me the noon to 4PM slot, I figured that whole block of time was mine, and not just an arrival window. They are not really impressing me with how they do business thus far, hoping today gets the job done.

• treitz3
    Options
    That's not DTV "technically". That's a substandard installer (subcontractor) wanting to be lazy. Still, it is a reflection of DTV and a bad one at that but try not to let your first experience reflect upon the entire company. Sounds to me like you have a really bad installation company.

I would not recommend the wireless thing. Hard wire is the way to go.

My installer showed up about an hour later than the scheduled time but he did call ahead of time to let me know that his earlier appointment was much more involved than he thought. When he got here, it took us almost a half an hour just to figure out where the dish and lines would go. I told him I wanted minimal to zero cables to be visible to the exterior. This was an issue because we have a concrete driveway that goes from building to building and we both decided that the dish would go on the landscaping part of the shop, a separate but connected area of the shop.

He mentioned that he would have to charge extra to dig the line, go underneath the concrete garden edging, through the brick, under the house, up the wall and to the non-existing wall outlet next to a house cable feed. This was not an easy feat, as the run was about 40' long with many obstacles. I told him that I would offer him an additional $50 to hide the cables and that I would do all of the digging.

While he was setting up the dish, I went to town on the route to get it in and under the house. I'm sure you could care less about the whole story, so long story short, he was here for almost 6 hours just installing the dish and the cable lines. He stayed for another 1/2 hour to program the remotes and get everything synced together.

The only visible things outside are the dish, about 7' of exposed cable, a small splitter box right below the roof line where the dish is located and that's it. A very clean and professional install. I ended up giving him $100 extra for the install that went above and beyond, along with a $40 tool that broke on him during the install. My lowest transponder is 97 and we have had zero issues since the install. FWIW, I hope your install experience today mimics mine in terms of professionalism.
    So in other words Tom, encase your dish in a 4 ft. square block of concrete, gotcha man. lol

No, that's silly talk Tony. The concrete would block the signal if you enclosed the dish. It might be better to secure the bracket with concrete and leave the dish open for reception. *snickers with a sinister smile and pokes elbow to Tony's ribs*

All kidding aside, let me clarify a bit more. I have seen dishes mounted on top of deck railing. I have seen them installed in 5 gallon paint buckets filled with concrete and I've even seen them installed on a wooden pallet in the backyard. Yeah, this ain't gonna cut it. One house I rented many, many moons ago mounted the dish on what looked like pristine wood but when I went up there to investigate why I was losing my signal more often than normal, I discovered that I could poke my finger straight through the wood and the studs that were holding the dish up.

None of these scenarios will work. You may get a signal but I'll venture to say that things like this is where most all of the complaints about loss of signal generate from. Based upon my experience and the experience of others I have known over the years that have DTV, the only time one should lose a signal is if a MAJOR storm is headed your way and it's coming from the South, provided the dish has no other obstructions like tree branches, power lines, buildings and the like.

I have mine in the back of the shop, on the roof of the landscaping shop. We placed it there instead of above the kitchen so that *if* it ever did leak, the repairs would be minimal. The last two residences I had, we drove a metal pipe about 4' into the ground and attached the dish at a height of about 2 1/2'.
  • polrbehr
    Options
    The installer they sent today came over early (9:30am, he called first though), and while it was a little frustrating going over the whole job again, he seems to be a pro.
    He agrees with you Tom, wired is preferred method but I'm going to do wireless for now (longer story than yours LOL), and he offered to leave me enough RG6 and connectors to do it when I have more time. Since he is still installing the post/dish as I type, if all goes well we may just do the whole thing wired now; I already ran a couple of drag wires for him, and left a line from the basement up to the attic when I ran Ethernet a few weeks ago so that should be simple.

• polrbehr
    Options
    So I was the one who said simple. I gotta stop saying that. Maybe if I kept that one to myself I wouldn't have stuck my foot through a bedroom ceiling?

Shaun just left about 1 hour ago, and would likely have been here until 10PM had I not done some of the grunt work (running lines into the attic and down into the master B/R, etc.). Needless to say I heeded Toms advice and decided to wire the boxes up after all. Shaun agreed 100% with that idea once we were done; I guess they're not supposed to discourage customers from spending more money? LOL

So this guy was tireless in getting this to work for me. He actually moved the location of the dish (after cementing it into the ground) as he could not get all 3 sats to hook up. He even helped me with pruning some branches, and was about ready to pack it in when that didn't work either, but once we moved the dish to the other side of my fence (still on my property though), we were locked in. There were some pretty big speed bumps to hurdle, as there usually is with any job of this level, but so far everything is working as it should. All that's left to do is some much needed cable management, and return the boxes to Optimum tomorrow. Damn I'm tired though...
    glad I don't do installations for a living anymore.

• polrbehr
    Options
    UPDATE
    So it's been about 2 weeks since this install was completed, but it took a few days to get everything finally dialed in (with a tech's help). And so far, other than trying to adjust to different channel positions, I have zero complaints/issues/dropouts/etc. Last Sat. I woke up to snow falling and heavy cloud cover, and hesitated before turning the TV on, but no worries, crystal clear PQ all day long.

I took Toms' advice and hard-wired everything; all new RG6 throughout, as I didn't want to disturb any of the original Optimum cabling for fear of compromising my internet and telephone service. The installer even gave me some extra cable with a small handful of connectors in case I wanted to change any existing wiring.

Besides what's above, some noteworthy differences between Optimum and DirecTV - it's nice to be able to record anything from any box in the house and watch it anywhere. It's also cool to have 4 or 5 movies saved and still show 91% free space on the DVR (200HD hours total). It's also nice that DirecTV seems to care about their customers. In contrast, when I dropped 3 boxes off last Friday and cancelled my entire OptimumTV package, I wasn't even asked if anything was wrong, or why I was unhappy. If I lost a customer I'd had for 20 years, I'd sure like to know why I was losing them. Anyway, my new Optimum bill is about $138 less than a month ago... so far, so good.

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I wish I had other options.

My Comcast bill tops $210 a month now and I can't get it any cheaper. Because of the trees around me, I can't get satellite reliably and there's no other TV option except broadcast and no other broadband option except Verizon DSL. (Found out my town's mayor works for Comcast and has been blocking Verizon from installing FiOS in my area for 5 years now by making the permitting and approval process excessively difficult.) So I have very little choice because I'd have to keep Comcast if I wanted to go with all streaming services but Comcast blocks half of the streaming services because they offer competing services and programming packages and want you to buy it from them and rape you on "equipment rental fees" every month. Like, if I wanted HBO NOW instead of the HBO package through Comcast, I wouldn't be able to access it through a Comcast broadband account because they offer HBO and HBO GO through their own service.

It's monpolistic practices and my local elected officials are in on it if not complacent in it. Glad I didn't vote for them and I'll be voting against them again next November.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!