Cary Audio PH-302 MKII PhonoStage

Options
I just acquired and finished listening to this phono-stage and it sounds wonderful. It came with factory Tungsol 6SL7's and a Sovtek 5AR4 rectifier tube.... which I then swapped out with Sylvania 6SL7WGT's and a Telefunken labeled 5AR4 (most likely Mullard made) rectifier tube.

1st impression:
Stock tubes do sound very good...I can say I was not disappointed on how they actually performed! Very clean and straight forward, sort of digital sounding but not bad if that's what you like, clean good sound.

2nd impression:
Sylvanias with the Telefunken...
YES!!!!.. that was a half court shot at the buzzard! Very nice vocals!!! Sade and Adele were singing LIVE in my house...even the wife and kids sat down for a listen. I know my ear hairs were vibrating and tingling ( I didn't even know I had ear hair but I'm sure that's what was tickling me in those inner ears of mine)..or maybe it was the fantastic sonics?

So I began by taking my Rogue 99 preamp out of the equation and substituting it with a SS Sunfire TGR-401 preamp. WHY? because the Sunfire has a Direct Source option, and I wanted to listen to the PH-302 not being influenced by another source. So far so GREAT!
Let me tell you - the Rogue is no slouch, I have it rigged with Telefunken 12AX7's and 12AU7's and you can listen to it all day and be very happy.

Also to note, the better the recordings the better the output...goes without saying...but I had to say it :smiley:

Just thought I would share in case anyone was thinking of venturing with a Cary Phono-stage.

Cartridges used: Denon DL-304 and Dynavector 10X5 BOTH Sound GREAT..Had to try MC and MM...

Music played:
Sade
Adele
Eagles
Rolling Stones
Guns N Roses
Led Zeppelin
AC/DC

Can't wait to get that Vanessa Fernandez LP coming my way...

that's all for now -

Juan

Comments

• WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    Thank you for the review. This whole tube rolling has me confused but still sounds like a hell of a journey not to be missed.
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    Thanks for posting and grats on the very nice gear and synergy (and taste in music, hehe).
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • JuanR
    JuanR Posts: 718
    Options
    Thanks Gents,

WagnerRC - what tubes are you using in your preamp and amps?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    this is on my short list of pieces. Thanks for confirming :)
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    The La300 has 4 6350's 2 6em7 and 2 oa2's my amp is a Pass Xa30.5 SS
  • JuanR
    Options
    They say the Joule pre is a wonderful piece, and is on my short list. I saw a pair of Joule mono-blocks on Audiogon that looked fantastic. I already have the Tyler acoustics that will make beautiful music with the Joule! Some day...

Not too much tube rolling with the Joule though..at least that's the impression I'm under. May not be necessary?? I guess it's all about how it sounds with your equipment.

rednedtugent - let me know if you have any questions, I will try and answer as best I can.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Options
    Great review! So much to get my ears on! Lol!
  • JuanR
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Next up for me is to try some decent RCA cables...let me know if you guys have some or know of someone who does.....just posted in the WTB section:...

Looking to try some decent quality RCA interconnects. Considering ordering from Blue Jeans Cable if I cant find some RCA cables here.

I know BJC cables MIGHT be on the low spectrum for some but I have to start somewhere :smiley:

Thanks
    Juan
  • Dawgfish
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Equipment at the levels you are running deserve good interconnects and cables. I've ran MIT, Audioquest, Analysis Plus, and others in various systems with good results. I currently run Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval interconnects and Oval 9 speaker wires with good effect in my main rig. I run mostly tube components (including Rogue 88 Magnum amp) and I find these cables to have excellent synergy with the rest of the system. Analysis Plus makes a slightly more affordable interconnect than the Solo Crystal that is called the Coppet Oval interconnect. I have a few pairs of these and compared to the Solo Crystal's they offer 90% of the performance while being a good bit more reasonable. Look for these used on Audiogon or similar sites.

There are lots of choices out there and it really comes down to what has the best synergy with your gear, your room, your ears, and musical preferences. Try a few out and see what you like. I was just trying to make some suggestions to what myself and many others have had good luck With. I've heard good things about the Douglas Connection cables that a forum member makes also but have not personally heard them. I'm sure others here will have plenty of suggestions. Happy listening!
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    I have couple pair of Analysis Plus oval .5m, I can offer. If interested pm me.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Dawgfish
    edited December 2016
    Options
    ^^There you go!^^ That's a good place to start! Are those the Copper Ovals Motorhead?
  • JuanR
    Options
    Dawgfish wrote: »
    Equipment at the levels you are running deserve good interconnects and cables. I've ran MIT, Audioquest, Analysis Plus, and others in various systems with good results. I currently run Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval interconnects and Oval 9 speaker wires with good effect in my main rig. I run mostly tube components (including Rogue 88 Magnum amp) and I find these cables to have excellent synergy with the rest of the system. Analysis Plus makes a slightly more affordable interconnect than the Solo Crystal that is called the Oval interconnect. I have a few pairs of these and compared to the Solo Crystal's they offer 90% of the performance while being a good bit more reasonable. Look for these used on Audiogon or similar sites.

There are lots of choices out there and it really comes down to what has the best synergy with your gear, your room, your ears, and musical preferences. Try a few out and see what you like. I was just trying to make some suggestions to what myself and many others have had good luck With. I've heard good things about the Douglas Connection cables that a forum member makes also but have not personally heard them. I'm sure others here will have plenty of suggestions. Happy listening!

Thanks Dawgfish, I will look to see what's out in the market on Analysis Plus Ovals,

What tubes are in the Rogue audio 88? I have the ST100 and let me tell you if you can get some GE JAN 12AX7WA and GE JG 5814WA tubes in there then don't walk RUNNNNNNN and get some, another sweet alternate for the 12AX7 position is a Sylvania 7025. Also what KT-88's are you running?
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited December 2016
    Options
    ^^There you go!^^ That's a good place to start! Are those the Copper Ovals Motorhead?

Yes copper.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Dawgfish
    Options
    JuanR wrote: »
    Equipment at the levels you are running deserve good interconnects and cables. I've ran MIT, Audioquest, Analysis Plus, and others in various systems with good results. I currently run Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval interconnects and Oval 9 speaker wires with good effect in my main rig. I run mostly tube components (including Rogue 88 Magnum amp) and I find these cables to have excellent synergy with the rest of the system. Analysis Plus makes a slightly more affordable interconnect than the Solo Crystal that is called the Oval interconnect. I have a few pairs of these and compared to the Solo Crystal's they offer 90% of the performance while being a good bit more reasonable. Look for these used on Audiogon or similar sites.

Thanks Dawgfish, I will look to see what's out in the market on Analysis Plus Ovals,

What tubes are in the Rogue audio 88? I have the ST100 and let me tell you if you can get some GE JAN 12AX7WA and GE JG 5814WA tubes in there then don't walk RUNNNNNNN and get some, another sweet alternate for the 12AX7 position is a Sylvania 7025. Also what KT-88's are you running?

No problem! I'm running CBS Hytron 5814s and RCA triple mica black plate 5751s in them for signal rubes. For power tubes I usually run vintage GE or vintage Tung Sol 6550s. I also have ran Shuaguang Treasure KT88s, new production Gold Lion KT88s, and Wing C NOS KT-88s in it. I've tried GE grey plate triple mica 5751s in it with good luck, but not GE 12AX7s or 5814s. I'll have to try that! Thanks. I do have a pair of Sylvania 7025s that I used to run in my phono stage. I'll have to try that in the Rogue. The Stereo 100 Magnum is on my short list of amps to try next. Love Rogue products!
  • Dawgfish
    Options

Yes copper.

Awesome! Those are really good ICs for the money. Juan, I'd hit Motorhead up on those. I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but I really think you'll like what you hear. Whether they end up being your end game ICs is up to your ears.
  • JuanR
    Options
    I sent him a PM, waiting for him to respond.

Also, Audio Advisor has some Pangea's that have caught my attention...
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGICCARR&opt=4106
    Thanks
    Juan
  • Dawgfish
    Options
    Good deal! FWIW I have a Pangea USB cable that sounds good to my ears. I've never tried any of their other cables. Good luck in your search and happy listening!