DAC?

Okay as some of you may know I recently picked up an oppo 103 which is being fed into a Yamaha CXA 5000 preamp. Based on what I've been reading (how we always have the urge to upgrade), it seem like they both share the same Sabre DAC. I've also read that by using the analog out of the Oppo into the Yamaha will yield the best result. So my question is will I gain any audible difference by going that route? Just wanted to ask before I run out to buy more rca cables. Thanks guys.
Epson 3020 projector. Da Lite screen. Oppo 103. Yamaha CXA5000. B&K 7250ii. HSU VTF2. Def Tech Supercube 4000. Polk Rtia9 CsiA6 FxiA6. Monster hts 2600. Home theater.

Bedroom consist of NHT model 2 powered by Parasound hca1200ii coming from my computer.

Stuff laying around. Too much to list but don't want to sell either.

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,506
    I think it's worth a try. It's not just the dac chip that makes a difference, it's everything else around it including outputs etc
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,903
    Much more to Dacs than just the chip....but I believe using the analog outs on the OPPO will get you the best results for what your working with. I wouldn't skimp on the RCA's either, use good ones.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Thanks for the replies guys. In going to give it a go on Wednesday and see how it pan out. I know there is more than just hooking it up and turning it on. I'm unsure about the settings within the Oppo. Anybody care to chime in with how they have their Oppo setup for a 2 channel audio setup?

Better to go 7.1 analog for home theater use too it just for 2 channel?

Once everything is in place the Yamaha gets set to pure direct mode. Correct?
    Epson 3020 projector. Da Lite screen. Oppo 103. Yamaha CXA5000. B&K 7250ii. HSU VTF2. Def Tech Supercube 4000. Polk Rtia9 CsiA6 FxiA6. Monster hts 2600. Home theater.

Bedroom consist of NHT model 2 powered by Parasound hca1200ii coming from my computer.

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited December 2016
    Thanks for the replies guys. In going to give it a go on Wednesday and see how it pan out. I know there is more than just hooking it up and turning it on. I'm unsure about the settings within the Oppo. Anybody care to chime in with how they have their Oppo setup for a 2 channel audio setup?

Better to go 7.1 analog for home theater use too it just for 2 channel?

Once everything is in place the Yamaha gets set to pure direct mode. Correct?
    I have not really bothered with RCA-type ICs for 2 channel since I have a separate rig just for that, but that's not to say it wouldn't sound good.

I originally had one basic HDMI fed to my 3312ci. Then I bought a 3' AQ Forest HDMI for the audio out to the Denon, and a 6' AQ Cinnamon HDMI from the 103 directly to my Samsung. If you get a good HDMI cable (yes there are differences) I don't think anything else is necessary, but you may hear an improvement with good ICs.

For my 3312, on the rare occasions when I listen to music, Pure Direct is preferred.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • I've been eyeing the wireworld soltice interconnect and I might just pull the trigger this week. Seems like they got good reviews and we'll recommended by a lot of folks. Sorry for all the question but I feel glad that I am part of this forum. Great members with great input and my system will be truly a mess without everyone's input. Thanks and I'll try to help the best I can to other individuals that seem help too.

• One word WOW. Just got done hooking everything up and going through the Oppo setting. There is a very noticeable audible difference. Seems as though I bought a complete a system. Mid range very clear and the sound stage grew. Thanks guys.

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited December 2016
    If you have not done so, do yourself a favor and calibrate the output of the Oppo for your HT. I happen to use the World Of Wonder BD (from Disney), IMO it has a pretty extensive collection of tools for fine-tuning both audio and video; I used the intermediate level to start and that took over an hour to do. The discs can be had for about $20, and the nice thing about having an Oppo is you can calibrate that without touching any settings on your TV or projector.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Thanks polrbehr. Forgot that I even had that disc till you mentioned it. I just got done with the calibration and last night I also picked up a darbeeb 5100cie. Picture looks WOW on my projector screen now.