DTS CD Steely Dan - Aja

Options
rlightfoot
rlightfoot Posts: 87
edited April 2002 in Music & Movies
Has anyone heard any reviews or listened to the new Steely Dan Aja remastered DTS DVD? Just curious.
"I want to change my username to Gordo, but Club Polk won't let me"
Post edited by rlightfoot on

Comments

• rlightfoot
    edited April 2002
    Options
    My mistake - meant Gaucho.

I also see that Kamikiriad is alos now available on a DTS DVD
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I like Steely Dan, I saw it at best buy today I should have picked it up.BUt I have the Cd already.I thought it was DVD audio as well was it??
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Ok, last month I bought a Toshiba DVD Audio player.. as we all know that there are very few good titles out for DVD A so far. (kneeling and praying that more come out soon).

But my question is.. at Best Buy they lump the DVD-A and DTS discs together. Here is lies the problem. As I understand it.. the DTS discs are not DVD-A at all. But rather DTS CD's. Yes they are in 5.1 audio.. but do not hold the 96+Hz range that DVD-A does. CD's can not hold that much digital music like a DVD can. I think someone is trying to trick us into thinking that the DTS CD's are in DVD-A, and they are not. When looking at true DVA-A's they say DVD audio on them.. the DTS ones do not say DVD-A anywhere on them.

any thoughts on this... or am I totally wrong?
    thanks..
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • rlightfoot
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Good Point. I remember reading that there are very few DVD-A, but I think the Steely Dan Gaucho album is one of them.

For sure, the Diana Krall Live in Paris is not. But the DTS is a huge improvement over Prologic II'ing, for instance, the Bee Gees Concert DVD - the Krall DTS DVD is mucg smoother and defined.

If anyone can shed light on DVD-A, it would be most appreciated. I'd be most interested in a discernable difference if the two are played back in 2 channel stereo mode.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2002
    Options
    This may be off topic but what the hell. THe DVD A discs that are release seem to be what i would call not the best work by the artists. It seems that some of the recent DVD A releases are just either the latest release from the artist or ones that are not their best works. why is that? For instance. Steely Dan.. i like their stuff, alot. but I prefer their older stuff most so than the newer music.. but what's released from them? Their most recent Goucho album.. fine and dandy.. but also give us "older" fans some of their classic stuff too.
    finally, who's in charge of what gets released on DVD A and what is passed up?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • rlightfoot
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Gaucho is an older album, early 1980's if I'm not mistaken. Actually, 2 Against Nature and Kamikiriad are the most recent releases.:)