A suggestion to Micah!

Options
kanicker
kanicker Posts: 86
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
Some days I appreciate the goofy thread, even sometimes a good "****" thread... but I propose splitting the opinion forum into two: Audio/Speaker opinions and Everything else. Perhaps then people could seriously discuss their views (sometimes contrasting) on audio and go post a picutre of Matthew-Borg on the other "looser" forum.

Anyone else with me on this??
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I'm thinking that if you've got serious audio questions, you'd prolly wanna be on the technical forum. If you're going ask opinions and stuff, you'd be here on this forum.

If you're just gonna be a wacko and post any old idiotic thing, you'll prolly be here, or there. Or in the movie forum. Or the car forum.

There's no way to "keep things sacred." Like I said in a previous post, you all get the forum you deserve. I wish like hell that we'd discuss audio things, or at least wacky things in a civil manner, but I can't force anyone to do anything except be civil, and for the most part we have been.

Sorry to be such a spoil-sport, but it gets tiring. And when we chase people away from this forum it gets annoying. And then it's just us three monkeys here and we keep throwing the same **** at each other. We need to shape up.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I think Micah's right, if you want to talk serious audio and nothing else go to the technical forum. People have fun in here...and yes they may act a little silly or idiotic or whatever, but noone is hurting anybody. I have a feeling that many of the long time polk guys on here wouldn't stick around if they couldn't post bikini pictures or make fun of Micah's sock addiction.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Gee - i thought the robot - Star Trek/Borg - 2001 thing was more fun than the you're an **** because you don't like my speakers threads. I guess that makes me a loser. So be it. But if you notice all of the robot stuff is based on the movies we spend a bunch of money on to watch. Too bad we can't have some fun with it.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • kanicker
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I hope you didnt think I meant "loser" when I said "looser."

Ok, I guess I'll keep my focus on the technical forum... I hope nothing too enlightening happens in the opinion section.

Maybe I'll check out the Klipsch technical forums as: Polkanicker!
  • shack
    edited April 2002
    Options
    kanicker - No I was aware of what you were saying - I was referred to as a loser in another post.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited April 2002
    Options
    go post a picutre of Matthew-Borg on the other "looser" forum.

OK, I do know I sometimes get carried away with the fun and games. But hell, all techno, servo, and electro gets oh! :confused: I enjoy the fun and games and the relaxed atmosphere here. But, if you do notice, the technical forum usually maintains a straight forward approach. Maybe concentrate your efforts there? kiss.gif
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • lax01
    lax01 Posts: 496
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Shack, the relaxed environment in the "Your Opinion" forum made me think that my "you're a loser" post would have been met with a good monkey **** fight. :D It was only a joke and was meant to be taken sarcastically, not personally. Sorry if I hurt your feelings.
  • shack
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Lax01 has a Bose® Acoustimass® 5 Series III Speaker System for his HT. The pictures in the system showcase is his Dad's.

Let the "monkey **** fight" begin! :D

• lax01
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Sure I have $1200 to go blow on a worthless piece of **** like that! Well at least I don't worship Star Trek and other sci-fi crap. :D

Bring the monkey **** on!
  • shack
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Oh Yeah! (snappy opening comeback).

Go get a job so you can sit around all day and post this crap!

Monkey **** back at ya!

• lax01
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Shack, I don't need to work at Best Buy like you. I can get a worthwhile job after I go to college.
  • shack
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Is Best Buy hiring?

I take it back....I think trying to bait D/K is more fun :D

• lax01
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Klipsch speakers are so very bright and fatiguing. The guy at Tweeters made me listen to Metallica on them, and I thought my head was going to explode. I walked out of the sound room with a headache. I guess I will never buy any Klipsch, I will stick with my nice, warm Polk.

Sorry, I really couldn't resist. :D
  • kanicker
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Honestly, I never really understood speaker fatigue. It seems like something has got to be seriously wrong if a speaker is making the sound unpleasant...
    I think my father finds Led Zeppelin fatiguing. I find nails on a chalkboard fatiguing. Is there any technical paper that better describes how this is measured??

(Sometimes my Polks are fatiguing...so I turn my volume up from 0, and then I can hear the train go by.) :)
  • lax01
    edited April 2002
    Options
    It is just if you listen to certain speakers for a small amount of time and you feel tired of listening to them. Like your brain doesn't want to hear anymore noise. My Polks are never fatique to them because I listen to them everyday and never have to turn the volume down because I can't take the noise.

On the otherhand, my Computer Monitor is very fatiguing because I can only look at it for a certain amount of time, before looking away for a second or two.

I figured out another example which sight. If you wear glasses then when you take them off and try to read a small print from far away, your eyes feel fatiqued.
  • shack
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I had the opportunity to compare the LSi7, LSi9 and the Klipsch RB 5II with a Denon 3802 and the best term I could use to describe the Klipschs was "bright". Dean/Klipschead said that was probably a good description with a solid state amp and that these particular speakers were better suited to tube amps. The sound was extremely accurate in the high and mid range. Sort of like listening to a trumpet right in front of you. Very straightforward without any sense of accoustics or subtlty. It was not fatiguing while I was there but I think I can understand where someone could use the term.

• matthew_2
    matthew_2 Posts: 52
    edited April 2002
    Options
    What is Matthew-Borg ?

I don't have a problem listoning to Klipsch. Includes Metallica! I find that the polks were to laid back and soft for my tasts.

Anyone know when Metallicas new CD is coming out????THANKS!
  • kanicker
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Didnt Metallica just release their new album on the web last week? I downloaded my copy...

;)
  • lax01
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I don't have a problem with Metallica.

kanicker: Nice reference to Napster.
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited April 2002
    Options
  • dean/klipschead
    dean/klipschead Posts: 295
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I actually believe Shack's description is very accurate.

The sound was extremely accurate in the high and mid range. Sort of like listening to a trumpet right in front of you. Very straightforward without any sense of acoustics or subtlety.

That is exactly what I like about them. You don't sit in front of them thinking "does that sound like a trumpet?" -- you're just listening to the trumpet!

One thing I have found is that they always sound mediocre and bright in demo rooms, where there is very little sound absorbing material. When you get them in a living room with furniture and drapes they sing.

OTOH -- most other speakers do indeed sound better than Klipsch in the demo room. But when they are set up at home it's as if the life has been sucked out of them.

I like the sound of direct radiating loudspeakers when they are in sparsely furnished rooms with blinds instead of drapes. They really open up more on the top. That's pretty much what I plan to do when I get the LSi9's -- give them lot's of space around the speakers.

As far as listening fatigue goes -- I absolutely believe in it, especially with horns. Horns have a jeckle and Hyde aspect to them. I personally think they can sound a little gritty with anything less than some decent tubes or better than average solid state. The RB5's should have sounded pretty good on that Denon --

Sometimes I miss the warmth of a 'normal' speaker, but when I go listen to them -- I decide I like accuracy better than warmth. I easily tame 'the brightness' (which is actually a by-product of extreme clarity) with tubes. Then, to further balance the output of the horn -- I run a good sub.

I don't know what Metallica you heard, but the 'black' CD, though extremely well recorded -- tends towards some brightness anyways.

At any rate, as an experiment -- the next time you go in there, have them put that same CD on and crank it -- and then leave the room. Put some distance between you and those speakers. What you will find out is that it is not the speaker sounding to bright. What you will find out is that when you leave the room or back away -- they sound much better.

Again, look at this chart.

soundpressurechart.jpg

64 watts on RB5's is like almost 300 watts through LSi9's.

Most of the fatique comes from it just being to loud for a two-way -- which is after all what all the Klipsch Reference Series are. There is alot of IM at those SPL's and the midrange just goes to ****. Put 250 watts or more into some LSi9's and I bet they sound like **** too (if they don't melt down first).

As far as comparing speakers goes -- without proper matching of the volume levels -- the comparison isn't really valid. Get a Rat Shack SPL meter for $40 and sit it on the chair in the demo room. Then compare.

Now, what do I expect to hear when I get those LSi9's as compared to what I have now?

I expect them to be tight, with a nice buttoned up sound. The top end will be smooth and extended. They won't be as 'shouty' as the Klipsch. I expect the bass guitar to sound fat in a nice way and the drums to have good 'pace' -- they will certainly not be as dynamic as the Klipsch or as open -- but it should be a sweet sound. I will think them to be a little too soft at first -- but will probably run KT88's instead of EL-34's and bring the midrange forward a little.

Folks -- this is ALL ear candy. We may have our preferences -- but it's nice to expand and experiment with different stuff. If it's clean -- it all sounds good. My favorite ice cream is Chocolate Chip -- but I dabble in Butter Pecan often.

Some of you guys have went and listened to something you may have never listened if I hadn't jumped on here and annoyed the bunch of you. I respect the hell out of guys for doing that. I sensed that about the folks here and that's one of the reasons I like to hang out here. The Klipsch site is great -- but sometimes I just get burnt out on all the techy stuff.

One thing for sure -- you have come back with opinions that are now grounded in real experience. You've heard them and have come back and said -- "Hey, not bad...but not my thing." I haven't heard anyone come back and say "WTF...those sound like total crap." -- which is pretty much what you thought about them when I first showed up here:)

Happy listening
    Klipsch Out
    Dean
    Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks - JM 200 Peach Linestage - Sony DVP-S9000ES - '03 modified Klipschorns

"I'm sure it's better than it sounds."-- Mark Twain, when asked what he thought about Wagner's music
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I hear you Dean,
    I like cookie Dough ice cream, but I melt for Butter peacan.I said it before and I will say it again, speaker's are speaker's and they all have a home somewhere.Are they your home??onlly you can deside.I like the fact that a different guy is in here liking a different kind of speaker's as well as Polk's.Thats really cool.
    I also respect people's opinion after they have experience with what they talk about.Tech stuff is ok, I'm a tech myself, and I get real tired of tell people about db, anddynamis range, and all that other crap that doesn't mean a damn thing if you don't hear it and feel it yourself.
    Klipsch speaker's do sound better in home's,I know this as I Installed thousand's of pair's as well as full blown theater(they makke killer speaker's for theater).Set up,gear, wire, source material is all a part on how they will sound.
    I like the humor in here, thats mostly why I come here.
    Tech stuff is good 2 with a limit, but you still need to make it fun, not so serious all the time.
    Drink a beer,and another,and another, and another and cool off.Sit back and enjoy, I do.
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited April 2002
    Options
    That's right! :):D:)
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • pensacola
    pensacola Posts: 269
    edited April 2002
    Options
    One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor. :p

Give War A Chance
  • lax01
    edited April 2002
    Options
    My favorite is Cookies 'n' Cream. It is smooth going down!