Bathroom remodel....how do I....

Options
Remove a mirror which has been glued to the wall by a jackass builder. I know there is a specific type of wire saw but I don't have it...any other ideas?

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Or simply cut the sheet rock around the mirror and take it off that way as you'd likely have to replace the sheet rock anyway.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Or simply cut the sheet rock around the mirror and take it off that way as you'd likely have to replace the sheet rock anyway.

You will more than likely have to replace the drywall, but, if you take it off put tape across it (heavy duct tape) to protect from breaking/dropping and shattering. Criss cross it from corner to corner and in all directions...like an asterisk. Have a drop cloth and a piece of foam or a pillow to set it down on. Depending on size it could be heavy and prone to slippage and breakage. Better safe than sorry.
  • littlewoodboats
    Options
    If you use wire to cut the glue make sure you start at the bottom and work your way up.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    . Have a drop cloth and a piece of foam or a pillow to set it down on..

You Italian too ? I was going to say.....start from the front of the neck....but forgot we were talking about a mirror with piano wire. :)

Yep, as the previous poster stated, bottom to top. Might be worth the small investment for the wire saw. I've done this before, wound up ripping it off the wall and fixing the board behind it. After all, a new mirror was going in the same spot so any imperfections would be covered up.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    I have tried a couple of guitar strings to no avail....the glue is black and solid at this point. Thanks for the ideas....I am going to score around the whole mirror to avoid tearing the top sheet of the drywall across the wall. What stinks is a smaller mirror may be going there.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    Is the goal to save the mirror? I seem to recall more nuclear solutions to the removal of glued-on mirrors in some of our past bathroom demos.

Joint compound is a wonderful thing -- sort of like "Cover Girl" for walls, you know?

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    I've seen the piano wire method work on a couple occassions. The process takes time if you are trying to save the mirror. Use a heat gun directly on top of the mirror to warm adhesive. 1 spot at a time. Work piano wire through. Rinse and repeat for whole mirror.

If not saving, cover the mirror with carpet mask or tape. PUT on heavy duty gloves. WHACK mirror with Le Hammer. Clean mess.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Yeah, I think that's the way ours were done in MA. Central MA has never been about subtlety.

:)

As an aside, the heat gun idea is outstanding -- but, if you go that route, be careful to distribute heat carefully. Too much temperature rise in a small area on glass will inevitably lead to the implementation of Plan B. Don't ask me how I know this.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Eh, do a Bill Goldberg on it. Get yourself a running start and just spear the darn thing. Clean up the mess once you regain consciousness.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Eh, do a Bill Goldberg on it. Get yourself a running start and just spear the darn thing. Clean up the mess once you regain consciousness.

Wow, nice pull on the Goldberg reference. Impressive for an old geezer.

:):):)
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    Options
    Depending on the width of the mirror, there is a wire plumbing saw, already with the handles, that can cut through pvc pipe as slick as you could want, the are usually not terribly long, as to use it for cutting even the largest pipes it doesn't have to be that long, good luck with the job
    humpty dumpty was pushed
  • mhardy6647
    Options

reminds me of Warren Zevon's great song "Ain't That Pretty at All".

https://youtu.be/Wwpagb-_Zk0
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    Options
    I would probably just remove the wall as it's most likely the easiest way. You could try a heat gun to see if the glue melts and gives in.
  • kevhed72
    Options
    I was able to slowly pry the mirror off the wall in one piece.....then I hit this snag with the vanity and plumbing....notice where the piece of wood perpendicular to the wall will fall when the vanity is pushed back, and there will be a drawer in front of the water pipe in the right.
    la1i7jgny16x.jpg
  • tonyb
    Options
    hochpt21 wrote: »

Wow, nice pull on the Goldberg reference. Impressive for an old geezer.

:):):)

Well, I would have related it to Crusher and Bruiser, but then I'd really date myself.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrbiron
    Options
    Was there not a p-trap installed?
    Looks like you gotta move some plumbing...
    IF it wasn't a drawer and just a door, youd be able to notch the support to route the water supply pipe.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    You noticed the P-trap fault as well? Copper stub outs as well. You might be able to move the cold water valve over to the left and do an over-under for the shutoffs. A little modification on the cabinet back and divider.
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Was there not a p-trap installed?
    Looks like you gotta move some plumbing...
    IF it wasn't a drawer and just a door, youd be able to notch the support to route the water supply pipe.

• kevhed72
    Options
    You guys are smart....so is there such a thing as a 90 degree copper compression fitting? Soldering one in is out of the question....
  • lightman1
    Options
    Compression fittings.
    Is your house plumbed with PEX to taps?
    You can cut out the sheetrock below the cabinet and re-route the cold supply inside the stud bay. Then stub out above or below the hot supply in the open cabinet side. Then flex up to the faucet.
  • lightman1
    Options
    Vague. I can see what to do for you. But can't walk you through it from typing it out here.
    I'm the guy that will push out of my way and just friggin do it myself..... ;)
  • kevhed72
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Compression fittings.
    Is your house plumbed with PEX to taps?
    You can cut out the sheetrock below the cabinet and re-route the cold supply inside the stud bay. Then stub out above or below the hot supply in the open cabinet side. Then flex up to the faucet.
    All copper pipes...I added the current shut offs you see myself because they were brass compression fittings you crank half a turn after the fitting 'bites' down on the pipe. If there are 90 degree turns which are compression vs. solder.....I get your drift I think...
  • lightman1
    Options
    Got it. Do NOT use brass-copper fittings in-wall. To get the cabinet back to fit flush to the wall....use a (assuming) 1/2" copper in to 1/2" PEX transiton fitting and about 2-3 feet of PEX to a cut off valve stub. Above or below as described before.
    Do the sheetrock repair. Install shutoff valve and install basin. Easy, right?
  • lightman1
    Options
    I just read what I posted. I suck at teaching a trade.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options

I were a plummer once....I'd just shorten the drawer though, problem solved. :o
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • lightman1
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »

I were a plummer once....I'd just shorten the drawer though, problem solved. :o

Fair enough. Wasn't sure of the woodworking skills he may have.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    Got it. Do NOT use brass-copper fittings in-wall. To get the cabinet back to fit flush to the wall....use a (assuming) 1/2" copper in to 1/2" PEX transiton fitting and about 2-3 feet of PEX to a cut off valve stub. Above or below as described before.
    Do the sheetrock repair. Install shutoff valve and install basin. Easy, right?

Get on a plane man, you got the miles...
  • Paradoxex
    Paradoxex Posts: 189
    Options
    We had a similar issue with our bathroom remodel three years ago. We cut a small piece out of the back of the vanity and shortened a drawer to make the pipes work. The different in my scenario is that I was sure I did not want my help messing with the plumbing - he was, however, better with woodworking.

Shortened drawer ended up being dovetailed and made to look pretty much the same as the others, just shorter.
  • scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    Options
    Also, depending on code in your area, you might be able to use a studor vent, its basically a valve that lets air in the drain pipe as the water flows out, they are just a few bucks, and a little on the fitting to attach it.

Good luck
    humpty dumpty was pushed
  • kevhed72
    Options
    I gave up on that specific vanity because I didn't want to mess with the plumbing....which leads me to this question.....can a compression fitting valve on copper pipe be untightened and re tightened because of a minuscule bit of moisture on the copper pipe? I may be paranoid.....but don't want a leak issue down the road because of a connection issue.....maybe I need to sand down the end of pipe a bit more?
  • mrbiron
    Options
    Why don't you just cut the sheetrock. You don't even have to repair it because the vanity will cover the hole. DON'T bandaid fix-it.....Fix-it fix-it.