our (US) parents' tax dollars at work

This is both on-topic and nonpolitical :)

Amplifier tests by the US Naval Research Laboratory.
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/011593.pdf

Comments

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    1953? At that time, this might have been useful research for a "make v. buy" decision. Now, the Navy would start with the assumption that a unique amp would have to be designed and built for their use at 10x the cost of a consumer-grade amo.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    lightman1 wrote: »
    dlgb7ach4319.jpeg

Yup. Dagnabbit and consarnit. Just thought it was interesting that the Naval Research labs was looking at hifi amplifiers, that's all.
  • Paradoxex
    Paradoxex Posts: 189
    That's unfortunate. I bought Polk speakers earlier this year during one of the LSiM deals. Just refinished my basement, have them set up.

I bought a set of 705s, a 706, and finally got some 702s on the back wall. With that kind of investment I figured the forum was worth a visit. There's a lot of history to read, so I stayed.

You're entitled to believe what you like, of course. If this scenario plays itself out every once in a while, maybe there's more to it than conspiracy theories of one person with multiple aliases.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Well, if that be the case, then I hope you stick around. LSiM speakers are really nice. You must be enjoying them. What other gear do you have in that system?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Sanitized!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    huh! How about that?

Well, it (this thread) was really meant to be all in good fun. The comments on the amps in the doc in question were, in some cases, kind of surprising to me, truth be told. They (the testers) were pretty nasty in their assessment of some (generally considered to be) pretty good amplifiers.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Smells clean and fresh, also.
  • mhardy6647
    pure as the driven snow.
    Just like Ivory Snow, when it had Marilyn Chambers on the box (ahem) art.

bblzhuv8raza.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    we all know what goes on behind the green door >:)
  • That's one of the reasons I took up the sport of pool.

I'll repost a section of the Naval Research Lab commentary. I thought it applies to today's never ending search for audio perfection.

sv1apstx8q9n.jpg

Sal Palooza
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Thank you for summarizing BBL. And that remark sums it up this hobby perfectly. Eventually the cost isn't worth the small benefit that the new piece gives unless you have a money tree in your back yard.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • F1nut
    Well, the obvious problem with those Navy boys is they are not audiophiles because the differences are not small.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    F1nut wrote: »
    Well, the obvious problem with those Navy boys is they are not audiophiles because the differences are not small.

I am certain their testing was quite thorough, but do you really need a 20k Krell to listen to underwater whale farts?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    edited October 2016
    Just spitting......might depend on the whale species.

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    I assume the fundamental frequency might vary with size, yes... we call that "allometric scaling" in my line of work.
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 723
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Eventually the cost isn't worth the small benefit that the new piece gives unless you have a money tree in your back yard.

Are money trees like poinsettias, because I can't seem to keep mine alive.

2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I.. we call that "allometric scaling" in my line of work.

Yes ...... yes I just bet you do even though you and your fellow travelers know darn good and well that whales don't have scales !

<insert feigned indignation>

Although, as F1 pointed out, it "might depend on the whale species."

<delete feigned indignation>

I guess the only thing for certain at this point is that fish gotta swim, birds gotta fly .... (oh oh, dangerous territory) ..... mares eat oats, and does eat oats, and little lambs eat ivy.

o:)

Sal Palooza
  • mhardy6647
    a kid'll eat ivy, too.
    Wouldn't you?