our (US) parents' tax dollars at work

This is both on-topic and nonpolitical :)

Amplifier tests by the US Naval Research Laboratory.
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/011593.pdf

Comments

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,810
    1953? At that time, this might have been useful research for a "make v. buy" decision. Now, the Navy would start with the assumption that a unique amp would have to be designed and built for their use at 10x the cost of a consumer-grade amo.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer with Morrow Audios USB cable to DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II; AQ Sky XLRs, McIntosh MC 220 Tube Pre; AQ Sky XLRs, CAT 600.2 Dualmono Amp, Morrow SP7 Speaker Cables, SDA SRS 1.2tls (RD0198s, Dreadnought, Black Hole 5, Acousta-Stuf, Dynamat Extreme, JBWeld. Vr3 Mods: "The Abbot" Monastery-Level Xovers, Custom Internal Wiring, Binding Post Plates, & SDA ICs).

Exercise Room, Wadia 171 iPod Dock, PS Audio PerfectWave Transport, Innuos Streamer with Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux PMF3150 Amp, Dreadnought, Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables, SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers).

Synology 713+ NAS on Gigabit LAN serving PW MkII DAC & DirectStream DAC.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 28,685
    lightman1 wrote: »
    dlgb7ach4319.jpeg

Yup. Dagnabbit and consarnit. Just thought it was interesting that the Naval Research labs was looking at hifi amplifiers, that's all.
  • Paradoxex
    Paradoxex Posts: 190
    That's unfortunate. I bought Polk speakers earlier this year during one of the LSiM deals. Just refinished my basement, have them set up.

I bought a set of 705s, a 706, and finally got some 702s on the back wall. With that kind of investment I figured the forum was worth a visit. There's a lot of history to read, so I stayed.

You're entitled to believe what you like, of course. If this scenario plays itself out every once in a while, maybe there's more to it than conspiracy theories of one person with multiple aliases.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,162
    Well, if that be the case, then I hope you stick around. LSiM speakers are really nice. You must be enjoying them. What other gear do you have in that system?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 46,523
    Sanitized!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    huh! How about that?

Well, it (this thread) was really meant to be all in good fun. The comments on the amps in the doc in question were, in some cases, kind of surprising to me, truth be told. They (the testers) were pretty nasty in their assessment of some (generally considered to be) pretty good amplifiers.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,678
    Smells clean and fresh, also.
  • mhardy6647
    pure as the driven snow.
    Just like Ivory Snow, when it had Marilyn Chambers on the box (ahem) art.

bblzhuv8raza.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 19,950
    we all know what goes on behind the green door >:)
  • That's one of the reasons I took up the sport of pool.

I'll repost a section of the Naval Research Lab commentary. I thought it applies to today's never ending search for audio perfection.

sv1apstx8q9n.jpg

MrBigBlueLight
    Here to pick your brain & steal your cookies
    Shifting to Plan B+
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,414
    Thank you for summarizing BBL. And that remark sums it up this hobby perfectly. Eventually the cost isn't worth the small benefit that the new piece gives unless you have a money tree in your back yard.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 ch. 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • F1nut
    Well, the obvious problem with those Navy boys is they are not audiophiles because the differences are not small.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 23,211
    F1nut wrote: »
    Well, the obvious problem with those Navy boys is they are not audiophiles because the differences are not small.

I am certain their testing was quite thorough, but do you really need a 20k Krell to listen to underwater whale farts?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Arcam AVR30, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds.

In retirement...TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Statement V2 cartridge and Origin Conqueror Mk3c tonearm, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII,

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book has been rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered…History has stopped. Nothing exists except the endless present in which the party is always right” — George Orwell

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • F1nut
    edited October 2016
    Just spitting......might depend on the whale species.

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    I assume the fundamental frequency might vary with size, yes... we call that "allometric scaling" in my line of work.
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 603
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Eventually the cost isn't worth the small benefit that the new piece gives unless you have a money tree in your back yard.

Are money trees like poinsettias, because I can't seem to keep mine alive.

2ch rig:
    Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress mods
    Preamplifier: Parasound P5
    Amplifier: Parasound A23
    CDP: Pioneer DV-563A
    Cables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB
  • mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I.. we call that "allometric scaling" in my line of work.

Yes ...... yes I just bet you do even though you and your fellow travelers know darn good and well that whales don't have scales !

<insert feigned indignation>

Although, as F1 pointed out, it "might depend on the whale species."

<delete feigned indignation>

I guess the only thing for certain at this point is that fish gotta swim, birds gotta fly .... (oh oh, dangerous territory) ..... mares eat oats, and does eat oats, and little lambs eat ivy.

o:)

MrBigBlueLight
    Here to pick your brain & steal your cookies
    Shifting to Plan B+
  • mhardy6647
    a kid'll eat ivy, too.
    Wouldn't you?