Finally taking the plunge to Hi-Rez downloads

After close to 50 years listening to 2 channel and 5.1 home theater I finally decided to try and download Hi-Rez through my computer to my audio system. I have not paid any attention to what files to use, what software I will need or what hardware I will need. So the question is-where do I start? I currently have a Oppo 95, Emotiva XMC-1, and a Parasound A 31. I don't know a FLAC file from a corn flake and I am completely in the dark. It seems that the further is Hi-Rez downloads. So guys, I need your help.

Comments

• D'prived
    D'prived Posts: 191
    edited August 2016
    This would be a good place to start.

http://www.hdtracks.com/

It may also help if you ask questions specific to what it is you're trying to accomplish.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Don't do it, Sarge! These kids will assault you with the 4.45 million ways to stream audio. And your head will pop off your shoulders.
    CDs.......just stay with CDs........and vinyl......
  • sgtmick63
    sgtmick63 Posts: 166
    Alright guys. lets get serious. Point me in the right direction. If the kids get out of hand I still have my handcuffs for them.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    if you had some hirez files on your computer - you would hook your PC to a DAC using a USB cable which would take a driver (file) that lets the DAC recognize the files on the PC. and you need the correct driver from the manufacturer of your DAC (like Marantz - peachtree -ifi etc..)

I use some music software from JRiver media to play the music. or load up a flashdrive and or external HD and connect this to your OPPO.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • sgtmick63
    I'm presently looking at jriver, the Sony uda1 as a DAC. Am I on the right Path?
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited August 2016
    yes, the sony even has its on software player I saw on its web page

on this page you would download the driver for your pc win10 64 bit or win 7 etc..
    and the software player. you could try their free player software 1st befor paying for JRiver and/or at least try JRiver Media free trial for 30 days

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=UDA1&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab

Do you already own the Sony?

2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    it doesn't have to be usb. TOSLINK and digital interconnect are also options, if the hookups exist.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    It doesn't need to be complicated. A simple method is to go to HDtracks, download their free sampler to your computer, copy the downloaded files to a USB thumb drive, insert the thumb drive into the front USB port on the BDP-95, and navigate to those files from the player's menu. The Oppo will play back FLAC files in the full high resolution format on files that are downloaded and the Oppo is a good audio player. No special software is need to do this and no new components or cables. Just a thumb drive. That is a good place to start to see if the higher resolution audio is worth the extra cost to you.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited August 2016
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Don't do it, Sarge! These kids will assault you with the 4.45 million ways to stream audio. And your head will pop off your shoulders.

It's really quite simple. :smiley: And I'm no kid....lol

SystemFour.png
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • lightman1
    SCompRacer wrote: »

It's really quite simple. :smiley: And I'm no kid....lol

SystemFour.png

You are an anomaly, Rich. Doesn't count.
    Plus you probably know every word to every episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation. :*
  • SCompRacer
    edited August 2016
    Plus you probably know every word to every episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation. :*

Anomaly, gotta go look that up...see if thems fighin' words....lol I was just funnin, that pic way too much for me. I'm 6TB music server>DAC & network>10" tablet wifi control.

Maybe every episode of House, The Sopranos and Breaking Bad, but not Next Gen Star Trek... ;)
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • sgtmick63
    You guys are the best.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • lightman1
    DSkip wrote: »

Who let Gramps out of the home again?

Get off my lawn!

Hey look! Sarge wants to do Hi-Rez!
    Back to you in the studio, Mick.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Maybe every episode of House, The Sopranos and Breaking Bad, but not Next Gen Star Trek... ;)
    Russ knows every episode of Full House

Sarge you just hit 100 posts - you probably just got a... nevermind... I was gonna say badge.
    I disabled signatures.
  • sgtmick63
    100 posts eh. Only took 6 years. I must be a man of few words?
  • msg
    alright alright, that's enough, chatterbox.
    I disabled signatures.
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,180
    Man,every time I log in it costs me money.I to have not ventured into any flac or hi rez files and just downloaded the sampler from hdtracks and I can see the money flowing out of my pocket now. DAM MIT.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • sgtmick63
    it's 10 o'clock and the wife says get of the computer and go to bed. Retirement is great?
  • msg
    shout back, "Pipe down! You're not the boss of me!"
    I'm pretty sure she'll leave you alone after that.
    I disabled signatures.
  • lightman1
    Dang Scott! He may be the Sarge, but he also knows who the Four Star is.... :o
  • SCompRacer
    edited August 2016
    Man who argue with wife all day get no peace at night.
  • sgtmick63
    Can't argue with the above statement.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Me thinks a far bigger issue, is finding stuff with good masterings.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    K_M wrote: »
    Me thinks a far bigger issue, is finding stuff with good masterings.

Isn't that the same issue every other format has too. ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ^^^ Yes. (and why the other formats a still viable)
  • You know you can stream Hi-Rez files over your home network from your computer to your Oppo without buying ANYTHING but the music files riiiiiiiight? :(
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    OR....OR...
    You could buy an oppo and a hard drive, and start listening to *.flac files.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2