Do we have any London, England polkies?

Options
I'm heading to London next week and wondered if there are any polkies out there willing to meet up.

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    The one's that I know from across the pond live here. Bring money, they like money....and keep the wife away from all those perfume joints at Heathrow. Have a great time !
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • JimKellyfan
    Options
    I hear the spotted dick is great, although I would be a bit leary how you phrase it or if you would want to bring that up, really.
    Onkyo TX-NR636
    Main - polkaudio Monitor 60's
    Center - polkaudio CSI A6
    Sub - polkaudio PSW10
    Sub2 - polkaudio PSW505
    Surrounds - polkaudio Monitor 40 series II
    Front Height - polkaudio Monitor 40's
    Audio Outdoors
    Pioneer VSX 406 - polkaudio Atrium 5
    Shed
    Sony junker str-dn2010 with Sony bookshelf floor models and polkaudio R150's
    Shed 2
    Nakamichi soundbar
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,880
    Options
    I just figure I'll roam the streets check out some audio shops and take in some sights while my wife works. I don't drink beer so I hope the wine is good.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited October 2016
    Options
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    edited October 2016
    Options
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Willow
    Options
    Do you think I can sneak those on the plane? I mean without my wife seeing them.
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,136
    Options
    "I don't drink beer"

You'll never get past immigration.

"I hope the wine is good"

The UK gets all the French wine that the French think is too bad to drink.

Can you get those Tannoy Westminsters in your suitcase?
  • oldmodman
    oldmodman Posts: 740
    Options
    I'd bring home the pair of McIntosh 501 amps.
    And the Lamm tube pre-amp.
    Lets see....... Appx 340 pounds of luggage? Might just be cheaper to rent a Gulfstream than pay the luggage fee.
  • tonyb
    Options
    oldmodman wrote: »
    Lets see....... Appx 340 pounds of luggage? Might just be cheaper to rent a Gulfstream than pay the luggage fee.

LOL...I was thinking the same thing . I'd stay out of the audio shops, nothing you see or want would be able to be brought back without some expensive shipping involved...and you certainly don't want to put anything in the hands of airport personnel.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Do bring me back a pair of B&Ws good Sir..
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • Willow
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    oldmodman wrote: »

LOL...I was thinking the same thing . I'd stay out of the audio shops, nothing you see or want would be able to be brought back without some expensive shipping involved...and you certainly don't want to put anything in the hands of airport personnel.

No it was more for eye and ear candy. Not to buy a thing. I was kidding about bringing something back.
  • tonyb
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hey, if it fits in a backpack as a carry-on, grab it. :) That Vac pre amp....doable.

Wine...in England ? Isn't that like asking who in Wisconsin has the best Grits ? :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    Isn't that like asking who in Wisconsin has the best Grits ? :)

The one that puts the most cheese in, of course.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Hey, if it fits in a backpack as a carry-on, grab it. :) That Vac pre amp....doable.

Wine...in England ? Isn't that like asking who in Wisconsin has the best Grits ? :)

Preach it, Brother.
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Isn't that like asking who in Wisconsin has the best Grits ? :)

The one that puts the most cheese in, of course.

They'd still booger it up.
  • polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    I'm heading to London next week and wondered if there are any polkies out there willing to meet up.

Don't know any English Polkies but we spent some time there a five years ago and really enjoyed it, as for sight seeing don't waste your time on the London Eye long line up's for a boring ride.

Do take a tour boat to Greenwich and see the Intenational Date Line and area the guides are funny and boating on the River Thames gives you a unique view of the area.
    And a double decker guided tour bus is very informative and relaxing way to get some knowledge of the London core.

We found ordering food was a adventure as our versus of english and there's sometimes resulted in a few what the hell did you bring me moments as we decided on whether or not to eat what was in front of us.

Enjoy your trip

Cheers
  • Willow
    Options
    Thank you. We've been given some suggestions from my wife's coworkers who live there as to where to eat and drink. Might take a boat ride. Wasn't planning on the eye as everyone says the same as you.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    Options
    Museums and castles everywhere. We were stationed there when I was a kid and spent every weekend out seeing something. Leadenhall Market is on Church Street downtown and is a rather neat Victorian market place. Worth a look. And don't see the touristy things short. If you've never seen the Tower of London or the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace, it's worth a look.

The tour bus idea was also a good one. Was in London and Amsterdam for work again this year and one of my highlights in Amsterdam was the boat tour that I took when too tired to walk anymore. Well worth the money and you get some picture opportunities that you'd not have otherwise while walking around.

If you do leave London and enjoy airplanes, check out the war museum in Duxford (about an hour and a half north of London near Cambridge.)

Enjoy!!!
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Willow
    Options
    Not huge in to tourist stuff, I'll check out quickly the Buckingham palace, the bridges, big Ben. Although we have a replica big Ben here and we have changing of the guards too. So I'll snap a pic or two. Heading to the airport soon, we upgraded our seats to premium, basically first class for this airline. We'll be much more comfortable seeing it's an overnight flight.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    Have fun Bon voyage!
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Willow
    Options
    In the airport in St John's Newfoundland, waiting until the next leg.
    Thank you, first class best upgrade. We are in the first row I'm 5'11 and I can stretch my legs out all the way and still not touch the wall in front of me.
  • Willow
    Options
    Made it with 25 mins of interrupted sleep....
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    Sweet... I'd rather be there than here (work).
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Sweet... I'd rather be there than here (work).

We'd rather you be there than here as well....

BWAHAHAHA....Happy Wednesday! :D
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Is that women in the 2nd picture sitting on an invisible stool!?!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    She's got a stick up her arse
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    Ministry of Silly Walks
  • tonyb
    Options
    LOL....even the horse is looking at her ....wtf is wrong with you. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »

feel bad for the stick...
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »

But just imagine what she can do with that stiff upper lip. >:)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson