Replacing my System

Options
shepx2
shepx2 Posts: 646
edited April 2004 in Speakers
I currently own a pair of older RT8 towers as mains, CS40 center, fxi50 rears, and an Infinity ILS 120 sub. I'm moving into a new house that has a smaller family room, where these will be at. I had been planning on replacing the RT8's with something smaller anyhow, so I don't have to worry about the baby knocking them over. I plan on keeping the Sub regardless what I get new.
Wall-mount size bookshelf speakers are the largest I want to go.

I have not looked at anything new in almost 2 years, since I had been living in BFE. I plan on doing some extensive listening once I get settled in, but am wanting to hear from you folks on what you have heard that you REALLY liked, that fits my needs. (No need to name Polk stuff, since I obviously already like it)
Post edited by shepx2 on

Comments

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Gotta name the Polk stuff. If you want your speakers to be timbre matched, you should consider a pair of Rti38's, especially if the fronts are going to be used mainly for movies. You can hang them on the wall. If you're looking at something other than Polk, there are a million choices, so why go through all the trouble of choosing? Stick with Polk products and you'll be assured of a great product at very reasonable prices.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited April 2004
    Options
    why go through all the trouble of choosing?

Because I want to keep my options open, and am getting that itch to go a different route than Polk. (Unless I decide to go with the LSi's )
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited April 2004
    Options
    JM Labs have nice speakers, as well as PSB.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I personally like some of the Klipsch bookshelves...

Don't think I would choose over Polk, but if Polk didn't exist I'd most likely own Klipsch...
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Shep - That's a loaded question....there are way many brands worthy of owning, non-Polk. Budget is the main factor in any upgrade....change or deviation from the norm.

The Norm = Polk :D

I presume you want to own new, or current brands eh?

Monitor Audio
    Mission
    KEF
    Castle
    PSB
    NHT

All those brands offer bookshelves that I would personally buy....the list is endless.

Money dictates the best bang for the buck....what do you want to spend, set your max and work down from there. Just a suggestion.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I like Klipsch. Their Reference models are very affordable. A small bookshelf like the RB-25 or 35 should be good. I know you're looking for something small but their RF-15 are 'tiny' towers. You should check them out. The sound you get out of them is much larger than the speaker size indicates.

PSB is another great brand. The ones I've heard have a very warm sound.

I've also heard great things about Monitor Audio.

Maurice
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,062
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Consider Inwalls.they take up no space and when done correctly yield awesome performance.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.