New LSIM Based 2 Channel Setup

stangman67
stangman67 Posts: 2,179
edited September 2016 in 2 Channel Audio
Hey all!

A few months ago I was on deployment and debating what to do with my stereo when I returned. I had a HT based setup at that point with LSI15's , PRSC5509, processor, oppo, Emotiva XPA5 amp, etc etc. I liked that setup for HT but found the music performance seriously lacking and rather than fighting and switching out components to find stereo performance, with the help of the forum and the friends and family sale, I chose to go with a separate two channel setup for music.

Fast forward to now, I moved to maryland and got my hosue and finally had a chance to get all the components together and setup properly (save for proper wire management lol!).

IMG_20160927_210616_zpseaakaxaf.jpg

Its a simple and budget minded two channel setup but blows my other stereo straight out of the water for 2 channel listening. In the two months I've lived in Maryland, I haven't felt the need to unbox and setup the HT setup in the other room, thinking about just selling it now.

Components
LSIM 703's on 24" Transdeco stands (great value for a solid budget stand)
TEAC AI-2000 Distinction Integrated Amp
Marantz CD-6006
Bluesound Node 2 for Tidal streaming
WIreworld Oasis 7 interconnects and Solstice 7 Speaker Cables

2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius

Comments

• skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    Welcome to Maryland. I like the simple setup with quality equipment.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • Right with you on the sound delivery of the 703s. Have mine setup in a small room 14x13 with a Linn Pre, Oppo 103 and (don't bash me) and Emotiva XAP-3 at the moment. Really hard to believe the clarity and realism that comes out of them. Continue to be impressed with the bass capability also. They are very enjoyable.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • Sweet set-up, N'joy!
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Very nice setup. I bet it sounds better than it looks.

On a side note, I have the same dog kennel :p
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Nice set up. I dismantled my HT gear and went back to two channel and it has brought me much more enjoyment. Like Steppenwolf says "...I like to dream, right between the sound machine..."
  • adabro
    adabro Posts: 212
    very nice, bet it sounds great
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    PSOVLSK wrote: »

And it already looks good so I bet it sounds great
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • stangman67
    Thanks everyone! It really does sound great, especially for a sub 3K setup. I have 7K or so in my HT and like I said, this little 2 channel setup blows it put of the water for music. Loving it, and the finish on the LSIM's is just so beautiful. My dad came over a few weeks ago and said the finish on these Polks is much better looking than on his 12K/pair Krell Resolution 1's, that says something to me.

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Joey_V wrote: »
    PSOVLSK wrote: »

And it already looks good so I bet it sounds great

Glad you said this because my statement could have unintentionally indicated that I didn't think it looked so great. Definitely a nice looking setup.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    beautiful setup, man, glad to hear you're enjoying it.
    when it comes together, it's like you just can't get enough.
    I do love the LSiM stuff, and those 703's sure do look handsome, nekkid on those stands. nice colors

Curious - I can't quite figure out what I'm seeing here - what are the tile things? Is that the top of a table, or some kind of carpet? or are those real stone tiles?

I sometimes feel that I could be brave enough to dismantle HT and just go 2ch altogether, and enjoy the benefits of minimalist presentation, but ima skeered. almost as if there's security in the collection as it sits. guess I could always switch it back...
    I disabled signatures.
  • stangman67
    edited October 2016
    msg wrote: »
    beautiful setup, man, glad to hear you're enjoying it.
    when it comes together, it's like you just can't get enough.
    I do love the LSiM stuff, and those 703's sure do look handsome, nekkid on those stands. nice colors

Curious - I can't quite figure out what I'm seeing here - what are the tile things? Is that the top of a table, or some kind of carpet? or are those real stone tiles?

I sometimes feel that I could be brave enough to dismantle HT and just go 2ch altogether, and enjoy the benefits of minimalist presentation, but ima skeered. almost as if there's security in the collection as it sits. guess I could always switch it back...

Yep, it's the top of the table (with real stone tiles). Thanks for the comments, to me 2 channel is just so much more enjoyable, music is much more important to me than movies and such

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Looks awesome!

I also have those stands under a pair of my Focal's. They are really nice for the money.
  • WTS
    WTS Posts: 170
    Thanks for the idea for the stands. I bought a pair for a friend's LSiM703 speakers, for a birthday gift.