Wrong time right product: Audioquest WEL speaker cable

Just want to vent... Wrong time but great product...

Already told myself that I was done for 2016... But this product is just taunting me (mostly because of the good deal).

So I have demod the Oaks which is 4th from the top. I ended up putting on hold the redwood which is 3rd from the top... But then talked myself into perhaps saving up a bit more for the wildwood...

Then this wel came up which is their best.

I would have to have them send it to AQ for recertification and retermination just to freshen it up. It is 2 years old but appears legit.

Retail is a mother... But the used price they want is reasonable. Just a little more than what I had set aside for a brand new pair of discounted redwoods (3rd from the top).

Just wanted to vent.
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    You only live once, enjoy all you can.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Joey_V wrote: »
    vmaxer wrote: »

You only live once... Wife has a knife...

You do have a good point. :o
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Joey_V wrote: »

But does she have enough shoes and handbags.... If the answer is NO replace the knife with some of those..... you may yet win the battle :smile:

Or just sell out and give her another child to hold so her hands are too busy to grab a knife... but ONLY as a LAST RESORT :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I'm sure if you reach deep into the couch cushions you mind find enough for them hehehehe!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    I'm sure if you reach deep into the couch cushions you mind find enough for them hehehehe!

Argh...
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
  • I feel like arguing the counterpoint here would be incredibly unpopular. This is a speaker enthusiast forum, after all.

That said:

1. You did say you were done for this year.
    2. You do have a new child.
    3. It is a good deal based on MSRP and what I assume is market price.

Why are they local pickup only? Are you going to convince them to ship them?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034

So long as her name isn't Lorena Bobbit, you should be safe...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • haimoc
    haimoc Posts: 1,030
    These cables are ridiculously expensive! I guess the cables must relate to "quantum" things..
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415

So long as her name isn't Lorena Bobbit, you should be safe...

Any woman can turn into Lorena Bobbit if pushed enough.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Joey_V
    Paradoxex wrote: »
    I feel like arguing the counterpoint here would be incredibly unpopular. This is a speaker enthusiast forum, after all.

That said:

1. You did say you were done for this year.
    2. You do have a new child.
    3. It is a good deal based on MSRP and what I assume is market price.

Why are they local pickup only? Are you going to convince them to ship them?

1. Yes... I need to drag it out into 2017.
    2. Yes that is far more important... What am I doing on these forums!?!?
    3. My uncle is in San Francisco and can help pick up.

Market price is much higher, I've never seen it that low. Ugh and argh....
  • Have you heard these cables? Are you just assuming that they are that much better than what you've already demo'ed?

That would be my bigger concern...what if you spend the money and don't find the difference worth it?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    My I suggest that instead on wasting large sums money on cables, give the money to St. Jude's Children's Hospital. Just a thought. :)

.....or Tony's retirement fund....um....charity. It's the gift that keeps on giving Clark. ;)

Not to make fun of your suggestion, St. Judes is a wonderful organization and I as well as many here have a soft spot for kids. Far be it for me or anyone else to tell people what to do with their coin though. I'm pretty sure Joey is well aware of charitable Hospitals given his occupation.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Tuff call my man, Very tempting.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Joey_V
    mantis wrote: »
    Tuff call my man, Very tempting.

Yeah man... I'm trying to see if they're willing to do a deposit and I can pay for it the beginning of the year. I need to stand my ground and hold true to my "no more for 2016".

I wonder what the wife woudl say....
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    edited September 2016
    Seems like a lot of cash to me. Great deal but holy cow....

It seems like the best approach to cables of this extreme would be the journey of stepping up the ladder. This would allow for one to experience the changes as you move up. If you move from OK cables to world class you may not really appreciate all that they bring. Something in between for a period of time might start to set the bar for what should be expected. Just my 2 cents.... and worth every penny. :)

What are your current cables?
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Joey_V
    Hey Todd,

I demo'd the AQ Oaks and loved them in my system. It goes Oak then redwood then wildwood then WEL.

Brand new oaks would cost me around 5000 total.

This with wel interconnect and power cord would cost 11.

The difference is it stops the upgraditis, cleans it off the table.

• Joey_V
    I just mentioned it to the wife in passing...

"WHAAAAT?!"
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    Hey Todd,

I demo'd the AQ Oaks and loved them in my system. It goes Oak then redwood then wildwood then WEL.

That's understandable Joey. I hope that you can avoid the "What if's?" though.

But feel free to bring those Bad Mothers over to my place anytime. Would love to try them.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Joey_V wrote: »
    Hey Todd,

Do you think so? Or is this the case until you start to stare lingeringly at some $25k MITs. Everyone here always says it never stops, all you can do is hope to slow it down.
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    Hey Todd,

Do you think so? Or is this the case until you start to stare lingeringly at some $25k MITs. Everyone here always says it never stops, all you can do is hope to slow it down.

That is so true and so funny. Thank you
  • Joey_V
    edited September 2016
    Hey Todd,

I think so. I have zero amp envy now with the Boulder. The dac system is quenched with the Emm stack. The preamp being the Cary 05 might need some work in the future... The speakers are 1 below top but they are so good to my ears so while there's room to move there... no rush.

• Joey_V
    edited September 2016
    tratliff wrote: »
    Hey Todd,

That's understandable Joey. I hope that you can avoid the "What if's?" though.

But feel free to bring those Bad Mothers over to my place anytime. Would love to try them.

Yeah... I'll include a post of a picture of the receipt of the entire WEL loom... This is what he is trying to sell to me.

You can see there's no way in hell I can afford the retail... He is offering most of the loom for 11k...

As you can see, this is why it's hard to resist. If I pass this up, good chance that I ain't seeing this type of thing again. And it sure as hell ain't in the budget ever at retail or even 25% off retail.

urfbj13r1qpl.png
    Post edited by Joey_V on
  • Joey_V
    edited September 2016
    Just had a quiet conversation with the wife, she said that I cannot buy the whole loom, but she would "consider" just the speaker wire. I might need some sedating medicines to sleep tonight...

... not sure if this is a ruse or a trick...

:|
  • Joey_V
    Btw, I'll have you guys know that I went from lamp cord and being an anti-cable person... but thanks to all the pestering on this super enabling forum, I cannot believe I am actually considering this...
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Try to squeeze an interconnect in there, they work best together :smile:
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Btw, I'll have you guys know that I went from lamp cord and being an anti-cable person... but thanks to all the pestering on this super enabling forum, I cannot believe I am actually considering this...

I'll take credit for that even though you're going after the brand.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Joey_V
    F1nut wrote: »

I'll take credit for that even though you're going after the brand.

Credit given sir