Millennials...

Options
2»

Comments

• maximillian
    Options
    Good to hear about hunters. But as someone mentioned, don't want to talk about the 3 letter bad word here so let's turn to knives... how many let your kid carry a pocket knife? Maybe not to school, but at least casually? How about poking camp fires with sticks? I cringe a little when I over hear parents saying how they would never let their kids do that now.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    D'prived wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    Not ragging on you Dennis, but what safety factor, the one made up by the social engineering media? The world is no more dangerous for kids today than it was when I grew up. Most of the time our parents didn't know exactly where we were, but you made damn sure you were home in time for dinner or there was real trouble.

We were always outside playing and our parents didn't know where we were most of the day... BUT... you better be in the house when the street lights came on or you were in some serious trouble!

Or when the Noon (lunch) fire whistle and 5PM church bells (dinner) went off in town! Hunger was the price to pay if you didn't answer that call! It's a different age, and we parents have allowed it. My kids have both been hunting, (my youngest has a pocket knife to another point), they both fish and can bait and cast their own lines since they were 4 or 5 (man, I know why my Dad got so frustrated!), and they are girls! Still, I'm the variance in the NoVA (and this LA) area, many folks look adversely on my views of such things.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You guys sound "exactly" like our parents did when talking about US in the '60s and '70's! lol

And the fact that OLDER millennials, that includes most above, have already transited to adulthood should alert you to the fact that many more of that generation will also do so. Stop being a bunch of old curmudgeons. Plus, a number of things in that "dreaded" list above are actually good things-not everything, of course!

Do we really hate "youthful idealism" so much that we have to stifle it every time it rears its hopeful and optimistic head, and sadly inform it that "we", who have had our a__es thoroughly kicked, but at least live a comfortable life in our mature disillusionment, know better? Of course we do, that's what OLD people always do. But, I'm not taking that bait! I sometimes feel like I'm still in a High School locker room around here. It's OK, we are adult "males", no need to prove it to anyone anymore, lol. In fact, we'll soon be Dead males, or weak, toothless males who struggle to remember things, even their own names, perhaps?

Generational wars? They'll always be with us. But some of us still have "hope" that things will actually get better, and you know what? They often do!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    Thank you for your service George. For the rest of you take your wide brush and go paint something worthwhile.......LOL.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    It would seem I'm not the only one that didn't know they were actually a millennial.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options

You millennials need to relax. Go back to the 1950's, and everybody who listened to Elvis was going to ruin the world. Those hippies in the 60's were nothing but commies, weren't going to amount to anything.

The 70's was doomed because all the kids were devil worshipper, listening to ACDC. The 80's was the end of civilization because of the all the young people using cocaine, and Wall Street greed.

Rap music became main stream in the late 80's, early 90's, and along with video games was going to completely corrupt a generation.

This century just happens to be about over protective parents, and their lazy children. Of course if you ask any parent, that's other people not them. In the grand scheme of things nothing has really changed.

A lot of young adults are spoiled and think that they're the center of all creation, but usually one or both of their parents feel that is only true if their children are standing next to them. I'm pretty sure that many of the older people have met a quite a few of these people throughout their lives.

Sooner or later the vast majority of the younger generation will realize that a lot of things they currently hold near and dear to their hearts is a load of carp. Life is hard, and some things are more important than social media and carbon foot prints.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    It's funny, if you look up the definition of all generational age gaps, on different websites, not a one has the same information....Some say i'm a Gen X. Some say i'm a millennial. Some say Xennial....

You ommitted the most important... 98% say your a A$$hole :wink:

Finally!....someone that really gets me!
    From one mill to another, GTFO! :D
    lightman1 wrote: »
    It's funny, if you look up the definition of all generational age gaps, on different websites, not a one has the same information....Some say i'm a Gen X. Some say i'm a millennial. Some say Xennial....

Dayum! Dan broke off on Fred! :D

I just got soy-ved. Shut it old man!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • EndersShadow
    Options

Finally!....someone that really gets me!
    From one mill to another, GTFO! :D
    lightman1 wrote: »

Dayum! Dan broke off on Fred! :D

I just got soy-ved. Shut it old man!

LOL..... PS you know we are still brauhs right @mrbiron

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    I don't think any one "next" generation is worse. However, look at society in general (American society here). I could spend pages on here typing my examples but I would think many would have to agree that overall most people in the U.S. today are just too d a m n complacent to stop, or do, anything meaningful or truthful. 2+2=5, sure, as long as you feel good about it, everyone is a winner (whiner), do whatever you want as long as you feel good about it, etc...

America has never had a super bright moral compass but we are heading to a place with no moral compass at all. Don't think so? Hmmm, really? What do we, as a society, tolerate now compared to, say, 20,30 years ago? In short, everything many times over. Even today I watch the news, look at my wife and say "would you have ever thought this would really be an issue, or even thought of, when we were kids?" "Heck no, that would have been just stupid!" Unfortunately, it's America's new reality...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Who cares about labels. It's the attitude that matters. I remember when I was younger it was 'don't trust anyone over 30'. LOL. That never made any sense to me. Since I hit 67 today, none of these stupid labels make any sense. Although I do like seeing the girls now wearing Converse sneakers. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,574
    edited September 2016
    Options
    D'prived wrote: »
    Not ragging on you Dennis, but what safety factor, the one made up by the social engineering media? The world is no more dangerous for kids today than it was when I grew up. Most of the time our parents didn't know exactly where we were, but you made damn sure you were home in time for dinner or there was real trouble.

We were always outside playing and our parents didn't know where we were most of the day... BUT... you better be in the house when the street lights came on or you were in some serious trouble!

Spot on and I'll be darned if the effin street light weren't always on 30min. before I got home....of course this was the 70's there was those long haired type's dad always warned me about. So hey what's a kid going to do?

Go hang with the long hairs ..lol
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,574
    edited September 2016
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    When I was a kid we carried buck knifes on our hip in school, and this was the mid 80's
    Times have changed

Right there with you always carried one from about the age of 10. My last day of high school was 83 it was very common then, but yea that would be a trip to jail today in school.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    And this was no back country high school, graduating classes over 600 in San Antonio
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Who cares about labels. It's the attitude that matters. I remember when I was younger it was 'don't trust anyone over 30'. LOL. That never made any sense to me. Since I hit 67 today, none of these stupid labels make any sense. Although I do like seeing the girls now wearing Converse sneakers. :)

Exactly, labels tend to put people in boxes. It's how you act in life that defines you, nothing else.

....and we all had knives in our pockets too at school. Not a single stabbing that I can remember. My graduating class was over 900, and I'm sure I did as much damage on my own as 400 of them. :)

Every generation has it's own set of problems to deal with socially and economically. It's how we deal with them that counts. Remember the old adage "Babies having babies", in reference to young girls getting pregnant ? Back then, families helped out, the young mothers had someone to turn to for help and advice on being a mother and raising a child. Today, they turn to the internet for advice from people they don't know. I've seen this personally within my own family circle. Child gets sick and they are asking what to do from strangers on Facebook.....when they have 3 nurses in the family and one who has been a nurse so long and educated far beyond enough to actually be a doctor. WTF is wrong with you I'd ask....only to get the usual shrugged shoulders.

Makes me want to pull my hair out, whats left of it anyway. I can't lay blame too much on the kids, as I see the parents as half the problem. They are enablers, allowing certain behavior and not holding the kids accountable for their actions. Rewarding them for failure so as not to hurt their feelings. This is not how to build responsible functional adults. Maybe they can use Google to look up how to do that.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Born in 83. I refuse to believe I'm like these spoiled millennial brats that call themselves adults these days. We didn't have a lot of money growing up and I have worked my bag off to get where I am today. I even skipped school to go work lol. I don't walk and text or participate in social media. I hate tight pants, it makes my nuts hurt.

So sad to hear you lost your "bag" at such a young age. You might be able to get one on the secondary market...don't think Caitlyn Jenner is using her's/his.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Interesting discussion.

The bottom line: seems we are all in this together and complicit.

Most became what their parents, guardians, teachers, pastors, bosses and politicians tolerated.

Some struck out due to circumstance and worked harder than others, but overall each upcoming generation seems to aspire to as little (or as much) as the preceding generation tolerates.

So who's to blame?

Kind of a chicken and egg thing I guess.
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • seabeerob213
    Options
    Shame about all these dam Millennial buying up vintage gear because they're retro hipsters though, and raising prices because if it's retro, someone with mommy and daddy's money will buy it.
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    Options
    Get ready, Generation "Snowflake" is coming up fast. They are beginning to enter college now. I think this is going to be a lost generation. A small percentage are smart and I mean really smart, the uneducated are really lost and the bulk are wandering aimlessly. They are not ready for the reality of the global society.

Wiki link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Snowflake

I have one who just started college.
    Carl

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    What happened to Generation Y? I thought I was Y not a millennial.

Though I definitely fit the millennial description... Skinny jeans, lazy, and addicted to my iPhone.

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options

Kids today live in fear, fear of the big bad world and fear of themselves because they aren't allowed to be kids and therefore do not develop the skills needed to grow up. As proof we have college age kids wanting a safe space like they are still 2 years old.

Hit the nail on the head... more outlets to spread fear to the general population
  • oldmodman
    oldmodman Posts: 740
    Options
    I still remember (fondly) carrying my rifle in High School along with my ammo.
    The Boys Vice Principal didn't want to be responsible for them to be stored in his office until after school. Which is when the marksmanship team would practice in the rifle range under the administration building.

Can you imagine a High School having an official policy allowing students to carry rifles and ammo with them to their classes a few times a month?
    There would be a hundred SWAT officers and twenty news trucks outside waiting to cover all the killings.
    It's amazing that us kids fired tens of thousands of rounds and not a single injury occurred.
    And this was in West Los Angeles from 1968 to 1970.
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    I belong to Generation WTF.
    Sal Palooza
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    Options
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Get ready, Generation "Snowflake"

I looked this up and the Yale video linked in Wikipedia. I am beside myself. This is coming from an Ivy league school but the scene seems like it should be taking place in a day care. I fear we are going to die out as a species in the next 20-30 years.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited October 2016
    Options

Count me in also. I constantly scratch my head wondering wtf is going on.

Just think, in 30 years the Snowflake generation will be running things and we'll all be gone, I hope, but your kids will have to deal with them.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    Options

That's signature line material right there, folks.