Italy vacation thread

tonyb
tonyb Posts: 32,902
edited September 2016 in The Clubhouse
Yep, back in black, well really still in the red after this trip but well worth it. Just want to document some things for every leg of this trip should some want to go and hopefully will make things easier for you.

The first leg took us to Rome, where we stayed at the Capo D' Africa. The Hotel is modern and well equipped about 2 blocks from the Coliseum. Some things to take note of off the bat, some lessor hotels will have super small rooms, no soap.....or even hot water for that matter as we experienced later in the trip. We mixed it up between higher end Hotels and middle of the road ones. Also, be prepared to take a taxi everywhere you go and do a lot of walking. You DO NOT want to drive a rental car in Rome....DO NOT !! You will have zero places to park and they drive like madmen. Never seen anything like it even in 3rd world countries. The thing about the rules of the road in Italy is.....there are none. Don't expect American coffee, which I didn't, or a Hotel breakfast like your accustomed to. You get Italian meats and cheeses, some baked goods, espresso or Cappuccino. Don't expect ice either. Even the cold drinks are mildly cool like if you bought a bottled beer or can of Coke/h20. If you ask for ice, you may get some, you may not, but in either case you'll get that look.

Don't expect a public toilet either like your accustomed to either. Your better off buying something then asking to use theirs at a bigger store. Some charge anywhere from 50-75 cents to use the public toilet too.....when you can find them or even if it's open yet. They chain them up if nobody is there to collect money. So use the toilet as often as you can wherever you can. That's the thing, there are no set hours of operation, for most anything. They open when they want, and close when they want, and they could give a rats behind about what you think or need. People in the hotels are friendly and helpful, outside of that not too welcoming. With one more exception, the train stations.

Italy has built a very good train system, much better than what we have. Smoother ride, better trains and systems for tickets and boarding. Your mode of transportation is going to be train or taxi, the busses just take too long to get around. Nothing is handicap accessible either.

Most places understand a little English too, however......their signage is garbage. Info isn't very forthcoming. More on that latter. Rome.....what a city. I stopped counting places to eat the first day. I've never seen the amount of joints to eat per square block in my life. Same for Florence and about every place we went. Took the Vatican tour and the coliseum. Just the size and scope of things will blow your mind. The Sistine Chapel....wow, but what really blew me away was ST. Peters Cathedral. Words can not express the greatness, the craftsmanship that went into building this place. We couldn't do it today with all our modern tools and tech. Simply stunning.

Horse and buggy ride at sunset around the coliseum and parts of Rome was awesome. The thing about Rome is, you can walk down the most mundane street filled with souvenir shops and joints to eat at, turn a corner and discover a centuries old masterpiece or work of art. We found that to be true everywhere we went in Italy. The Trevi Fountain must be seen to behold.

Most things for me was comic relief, I just couldn't help myself. "Uh....Luigi, we need something above those doors you just installed, looks too plain." So Luigi carves a masterpiece out of marble for above the doors. Frickin' unbelievable.....your jaw just hits the floor everywhere you look in wonder of the craftmanship that went into everything.

We took a short trip up to the Pope's summer home, and the town where he eats and made reservations at the restaurant he eats at. Food was good but the people not so friendly. Found that interesting considering. 2.5 days was enough for us in Rome, I was jonesin' to rent the car and get to Tuscany.

More later....

HT SYSTEM-
Sony 850c 4k
Pioneer elite vhx 21
Sony 4k BRP
SVS SB-2000
Polk Sig. 20's
Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
Grant Fidelity tube dac
B&k 1420
lsi 9's
Post edited by tonyb on

Comments

• tonyb
    Few more notes on Rome. Buy your tickets to any tours you want to take prior to going. You won't have to wait in lines and they are cheaper. Time is precious on vacation, don't waste it standing in lines.

The Vatican, while a sight to behold, pissed us off. They heard you in like cattle shoulder to shoulder.....and it gets hot in there as no air conditioning which can be said for a lot of Italy. I asked the tour guide how they preserve such works of art/paintings in such a hot uncontrolled environment. She told me that the problem is actually the tourist that do the most damage building up heat and flashes from camera's.

That said it all for me, the Vatican is more worried about the coin from tourist than preservation......somehow I expected nothing less.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Glad you're back safe Tony!
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • I want to know is did you smash grapes in the vineyard with the wife?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Bentornato mio amico!!!!
  • tonyb
    I want to know is did you smash grapes in the vineyard with the wife?

Indeed....

There are many things in Italy too that will bring a tear to your eye. The women there however will make both eye's cry, no joke. Yeah, there is some good looking dudes walking around, but nowhere near the amount of women.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Welcome home Tony! I look forward to continuing to read about your trip, and pics would be nice too.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Did you manage to scarf any Vatican silverware ? That would have been cool !

.... although one doesn't really want to get involved with the Italian legal system.
    No, you don't. o:)
    Sal Palooza
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    Did you ask anyone about Amanda Knox?

Looks like a fun trip, thanks for sharing.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • tonyb
    Pics will come shortly after I get some downloaded, still have stuff to do to acclimate. Pay bills, shopping....food and vino, laundry. etc.

Tell ya what too, they have a desire for all things American, while I have the desire for things Italian. Talk cars to them and they all want Camaro's and Corvettes.....and they love Florida for some reason. Coke has the country locked up, all coke products nobody else, and they love their Pringles Potato chips.....yuck.

Speaking of cars, we here in the states have our saying for Ford.....found on the road dead. There.....they have one for Fiat.

FIX
    IT
    Again
    Tony

Gotta love it....
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    Glad you had a great time. I enjoyed your first post. Waiting for the photos. I'm guessing every household does not have Sonus faber speakers? Later, Ciao :)
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Visiting the Motherland eh Tony? You had me worried I figured you was at the bottom of Lake Michigan wearing concrete shoes :# . Glad you had a good time and you made it back. I now ask the question everyone is wondering, Italian style Pizza or Chicago Deep dish what's your preference?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    by the way, welcome back! :)
  • Sounds like a fun trip, Tony.

Welcome back to the USA and the Forum.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• tonyb wrote: »
    Pics will come shortly after I get some downloaded
    .....and they love Florida for some reason.

Glad you had safe and enjoyable travels, Tony! Please, please tell me you made it to Pisa and have the obligatory shot of you holding the tower from falling over. :p
    tonyb wrote: »
    .....and they love Florida for some reason.

What's not to love?
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Hey Tony, benvenuto a casa...
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    warren wrote: »
    Yo' Tony, benvenuto a casa...

Fixed it for ya'

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Welcome back.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    xsjsli58t1ji.jpg
    u1y5ftyb395p.jpg
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    jnu8ualza4u9.jpg
    tjrakhu3cxnx.jpg
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    2tr3v4dlxbz4.jpg
    0vrw2z9hood8.jpg

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    ea2evdf41b2a.jpg
    rwuu74f6bjqn.jpg
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    edited September 2016
    8x4mcdk9jr1s.jpg
    mrziau673sq7.jpg

That was my view from a very private balcony at the Hotel.

BTW, that small beach you see....that's the dog beach. Told ya they love dogs....lol

The menu pic.....that's just one of the menu's for the joints on the beach. Others have the usual fare.....Oven baked pizza. You can't get bottled water in most major cities for those prices.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    1qngl3iw3uqq.jpg
    gzd4m3kxs8n8.jpg
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    clysp8uqshlx.jpg
    ijck73uh0ruf.jpg
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    dtjt7tijsb19.jpg
    u6a3za3sfgcv.jpg
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    o01aszxeadfa.jpg
    fiv272gp4n5x.jpg
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    56lb8wtgpycb.jpg

My wife hanging out with some nuts....literally. lol
    805.JPG 146.4K
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    4fy207j975sr.jpg

My wife made me go in this place for obvious reasons.....came out with underwear....one.....at 35 bucks. Armani.....big deal. Most comfortable darn things you ever want to slide your sack into though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's