Wife says I need help

Options
I scoffed at all of you when I first found this forum. Rabbit hole my butt..... Maybe I should have listened, but I figured it could never happen to me. Sigh....................
My name is Mike, and I have a problem!
7qeiu5imfue0.jpg
Schiit Freya+, Krell KAV-250a, R-Pi network streamer, 8Tb NAS, Thorens TD-145 MKIII with Ortofon 2M red, Polk: Monitor-10B, SDA-1A, SDA-SRS
1.jpg 31.9K

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited September 2016
    Options
    • First step is admitting
    • The only help you really need is someone to help you move them around
    • Nice family :)
    • I'll add one more thing, let the wife know that the Polk Army got your 6 ;)
    Post edited by txcoastal1 on
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Your problem is that you don't have enough stuff jammed into that space yet. Fret not, we're all here to help.
    I disabled signatures.
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    No worries, all good stuff you got going on there.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    It's a good problem to have.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    Options
    What he failed to mention was that he lives in a 1 room studio apartment.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    ^^^lolol
    I disabled signatures.
  • crashb4
    crashb4 Posts: 222
    Options
    Reality is even stranger. We purchased the house in May. Shortly after this sign appeared on the basement wall. I didn’t put it there. This is Dad’s room. There is no WAF in this room.

iowz7xzp8oxc.jpg
    2.jpg 18.1K
    Schiit Freya+, Krell KAV-250a, R-Pi network streamer, 8Tb NAS, Thorens TD-145 MKIII with Ortofon 2M red, Polk: Monitor-10B, SDA-1A, SDA-SRS
  • Dennis Gardner
    Options
    I had a similar situation and my fix was to keep the best pair of similar branded speakers and sell the lesser models. This has allowed me the room to try other brands and still maintain a good example of what brought me to those brands. I branched out and now have a few nice examples of other offerings.

What I find funny is that I chose to keep SDA CRS+ as my example of the SDA line and sold the larger models. I found their SDA imaging to be better that the 1Cs that I sold.

I have had to do a similar herd thinning on my guitar/bass and woodwind collection too. Keep the best quality gear, free up some cash for when those great deals present themselves. Keep looking but be selective.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Mike Reeter
    Options
    Well Mike, you're not alone here brother...we all suffer from the same addiction. The unfortunate reality is that there is no known cure ;)
  • pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    Options
    Setting up a stereo system in each room will help you justify it. Now you will just need to buy all the receivers amps turntables, etc. for those new room setups...see you in therapy. ;)
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    My wife has been saying that for over 23 years...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    Wow, I'll say you have a problem. Those 10's need to be on stands... :p
  • codycatalist
    Options
    You need help!

You can send all the speakers your wife doesn't accept to me. I will make sure they feel welcomed.

PM me for the deets.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • crashb4
    Options
    See...... that's what I love about you guys. Always willing to help no matter what the sacrifice.
    Thanks all.
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    Audiophilia Nervosa B)
    An incurable disease of the wallet,which mostly (*but not exclusively*) afflicts the male species ;)
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    BTW make sure you have a common ground,high current amplifier with at least 100wpc to drive those SDA SRS-1's.
    They are NOT an easy load
    (*Juss tryin' ta help*) :Do:)
  • crashb4
    Options
    My HT amp, Rotel RMB-1075. 200 wpc@4 ohms for now. Got my eye out for a Krell that I can afford. Big $.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    crashb4 wrote: »
    Wife says i need help
    Sounds to me like you should be in the market for a new wife....
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • oldmodman
    Options
    Seems OK to me.

I am in the market right now for a house with better acoustics. I told my realtor that I must have one room with an exact footprint and no doors or windows on one end and three of the walls. I think that I may just bite the bullet and assume that some remodeling will be needed before I move in.
    And did you know how expensive it is to have the LADWP install your own pole and pole pig?
  • crashb4
    Options
    Most houses don't have the correct size ratios to the finished rooms that are available. I find that basements are a great candidate for listening rooms. You really only need to worry about the ceiling for sound transmission and they are typically the footprint of the house. Most times, there is plenty of room to carve out a space. My current room is small and square, but I have a huge volume of space available. Relocation of two walls opens it right up to as large as 30 x 30. House was built with walk out basement with 9 foot ceilings.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,340
    Options
    What you need is more amps and sources to drive each pair. Distribute they systems around the house and then it doesn't seem so much like an elephant in the living room.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • littlewoodboats
    littlewoodboats Posts: 823
    edited September 2016
    Options
    My wife says I need help also. I don't care what she says, she is not getting a boy toy.
  • crashb4
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    crashb4 wrote: »
    Wife says i need help
    Sounds to me like you should be in the market for a new wife....

Wife and I have a good understanding. She gets her sewing room and equipment. I get my listening room and equipment. I think that's a pretty good trade off. I have no input on her room and she has none on mine. Who would trade that away.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    I get twelve speakers in the house at one time. Does not include the garage. Her rule is if two speakers come in the house . Two have to go out. My biggest fight was when I got my 2.1's . She was out of town when I bought them and posted a picture of them and me on Facebook. All of her hens in the henhouse started in on me on Facebook about it when it was none of their business . I think she thought some other girl took the photo of me and my towers? I just used a delay photo app on my iPad. Good luck brother. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    Man F§Ω$@!# social media
  • Rex81
    Rex81 Posts: 193
    Options
    Nothing wrong with having multiple sets of speakers, but I'd get all but one pair out of that room. I don't know if you listen to them like that but the SRS especially will sound way better without 4 big ol' boxes blocking/messing with the soundwaves.

I used to have 10 pairs of speakers in my listening room. Never blocking the main speakers, but located to the sides and in the corners, etc. I told myself I liked to have the option to swap different ones in and out. But then I realized I was spending more time moving and swapping and more mental energy analyzing the differences than I was actually enjoying the music. So I made a bold move and picked my favorites (SRS 2) and sold all the rest. Now I just relax and enjoy the music. I'm much happier now. Just my two cents.
  • crashb4
    Options
    The SDA1A and monitor 10 are for the HT. Just lined them up prior to moving them for effect. I will find a pair of M7 for front and rear center and be all set. The SRS are for two channel only and are the only speakers in the room now.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Wow, I'll say you have a problem. Those 10's need to be on stands... :p

+1 that is what I see is the problem as well.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
    Hi, I am Jim and I am powerless over Hi Fi...
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,554
    Options
    That's a killer picture. What (if you don't mind me asking) is the story behind the flag you have in there. Unfortunately I have 3 of them. Only one is conected to a survivor.