My daughter, the teacher, and her "humble-brag"

Options
My youngest daughter (27) is a 5th yr. English teacher (9th and 10th grades) here in NC, where we do NOT pay our teachers very well. She has a Master's degree in Education from Wake Forest but barely gets by with her rent, student loans and living expenses.

It's a bit discouraging to her but then she gets something like this from one of her students and it makes it all worthwhile:

ymxi3ed1ss4v.jpg

She posted that on FB and said it was a "humble-brag" but that stuff like that keeps her committed to her teaching profession.

We need more teachers with reasons to remain teachers despite the lack of salary. And more perceptive students like the one that wrote that.

Comments

• Paradoxex
    Options
    Agreed. My mother was a teacher for 30 years in NC before retiring recently. The way the state has changed salaries for master's degrees and tenure, those teachers in the state surely are doing the work out of passion, and not personal prosperity.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You should be proud! That's beautiful. Educators are HIGHLY undervalued in this dog-eat-dog economy! Americans have NEVER valued education as much as any number of other European nations or the East Asian countries, etc. They babble about education but only pay those who PROFIT them! And everyone else HERE accepts that as normal because, hey, isn't it ALL about PROFITS? What about humans and humanity? No, we don't worry about those things. It's the ECONOMY stupid! lol Ah, what an arrogant ignorance!

As a college level educator I've always had the GREATEST respect for those in the public system below, because that's where it all happens. By the time we get them, it's too late.

All the best to your daughter, she's doing the most important work!

Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    AHHHHH :)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Don't even get me started. We had one of the best education systems in the nation here until recent political turns of events. Now, after massive cuts to education, schools across the state can't even get applications for many teacher positions. Turnover at all time highs, experienced teachers retiring. The world of paperwork for teachers has gone berserk, they spend countless hours filling out paperwork. I had two twins working for me whose parents were both lifetime teachers and the boys used to always tell me how they were also going to go into education to teach math like their father. Best workers I ever had. Recently, however, they told me, "Education will be screwed up for a generation, and we've decided to switch majors to business." Since then I've discovered that applications to the Education departments in our state colleges has tanked. My friends that are high school teachers tell me that the schools are now run by idiots who got into administration (because teachers pay will no longer increase and administrators are paid like a supreme court justice) with just a few years of teaching experience and have no idea how to teach, and by school psychologists. One had a required meeting several weeks before school started. The administrator started out by saying, "I'll say 'TEACHERS' and you say 'ROCK'! Teachers can only work out of passion so long. It's not dark yet, but its getting there. Ok, rant over, sorry to derail the thread.
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    You should be bragging. Thanks for sharing
  • Legender
    Options
    Congrats to her!!
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Here is a page of what different levels of judges make. And they are losing a lot of judges since most won't come close to what a lawyer in a firm can make.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_judge_salaries_in_the_United_States
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    Hats off to your daughter. Right there she's made a difference no matter the salary level, that cannot have monetary value it's beyond that.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,518
    Options
    I always look up to teachers, I still keep in touch with my AP bio teacher
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    That's awesome!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,793
    Options
    Oki doki
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    okay, since this thread popped back up, an update. Not long after this was originally posted, my daughter left teaching to work for a health care company. She teaches healthcare software to nurses and other healthcare providers and makes about twice what she did as a teacher. Unfortunately, it's not as fulfilling, but it's a lot more lucrative and safer since she can do much of her teaching over the net.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,204
    Options
    Did the nurses write her a note?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited February 2022
    Options
    @Jimbo18 FYI

Jesse was replying to a post that has been deleted ...1st time poster troll

His comment was not towards this thread
    Post edited by txcoastal1 on
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    We all know Jesse is the number one necropost offender
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Necropost Offender is my favorite Keith Richards album
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    I'm a teacher. Of bad habits and language but still...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    edited February 2022
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    @Jimbo18 FYI

Jesse was replying to a post that has been deleted ...1st time poster troll

His comment was not towards this thread

Thanks, txcoastal1, I actually saw the post before it disappeared.