My daughter, the teacher, and her "humble-brag"

My youngest daughter (27) is a 5th yr. English teacher (9th and 10th grades) here in NC, where we do NOT pay our teachers very well. She has a Master's degree in Education from Wake Forest but barely gets by with her rent, student loans and living expenses.

It's a bit discouraging to her but then she gets something like this from one of her students and it makes it all worthwhile:

ymxi3ed1ss4v.jpg

She posted that on FB and said it was a "humble-brag" but that stuff like that keeps her committed to her teaching profession.

We need more teachers with reasons to remain teachers despite the lack of salary. And more perceptive students like the one that wrote that.
HT - Pio Elite SC-63, Nuance Spatial 3S, Spatial Cen S, FXi50 surrounds, Def Tech PF 15TL+, Belkin PF30, Samsung UBD-M7500, Furez 12-2.
Bedroom - Samsung UN50RU7200, Denon 2808ci, Monitor 5jr+ Series 2, Polk T30 center, Furez 10/2,

Comments

• Agreed. My mother was a teacher for 30 years in NC before retiring recently. The way the state has changed salaries for master's degrees and tenure, those teachers in the state surely are doing the work out of passion, and not personal prosperity.
  • cnhcnh Posts: 13,310
    edited September 2016
    You should be proud! That's beautiful. Educators are HIGHLY undervalued in this dog-eat-dog economy! Americans have NEVER valued education as much as any number of other European nations or the East Asian countries, etc. They babble about education but only pay those who PROFIT them! And everyone else HERE accepts that as normal because, hey, isn't it ALL about PROFITS? What about humans and humanity? No, we don't worry about those things. It's the ECONOMY stupid! lol Ah, what an arrogant ignorance!

As a college level educator I've always had the GREATEST respect for those in the public system below, because that's where it all happens. By the time we get them, it's too late.

All the best to your daughter, she's doing the most important work!

Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 11,226
    AHHHHH :)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • dromundsdromunds Posts: 8,792
    Don't even get me started. We had one of the best education systems in the nation here until recent political turns of events. Now, after massive cuts to education, schools across the state can't even get applications for many teacher positions. Turnover at all time highs, experienced teachers retiring. The world of paperwork for teachers has gone berserk, they spend countless hours filling out paperwork. I had two twins working for me whose parents were both lifetime teachers and the boys used to always tell me how they were also going to go into education to teach math like their father. Best workers I ever had. Recently, however, they told me, "Education will be screwed up for a generation, and we've decided to switch majors to business." Since then I've discovered that applications to the Education departments in our state colleges has tanked. My friends that are high school teachers tell me that the schools are now run by idiots who got into administration (because teachers pay will no longer increase and administrators are paid like a supreme court justice) with just a few years of teaching experience and have no idea how to teach, and by school psychologists. One had a required meeting several weeks before school started. The administrator started out by saying, "I'll say 'TEACHERS' and you say 'ROCK'! Teachers can only work out of passion so long. It's not dark yet, but its getting there. Ok, rant over, sorry to derail the thread.
  • WagnerRCWagnerRC Posts: 2,005
    You should be bragging. Thanks for sharing
  • Congrats to her!!
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 13,420
    Here is a page of what different levels of judges make. And they are losing a lot of judges since most won't come close to what a lawyer in a firm can make.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_judge_salaries_in_the_United_States
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 ch. 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • WillowWillow Posts: 10,071
    Hats off to your daughter. Right there she's made a difference no matter the salary level, that cannot have monetary value it's beyond that.
    2Ch- B&W 703, SVS PB10 NSD, Marantz NR1607, Parasound 1500a, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (Yellow) with Acrylic platter, Pro-Ject phono pre, MIT AVT 2 speaker cables, MIT AVT 1 and AVT 2 ICs, XLO Jumpers, Signal Dig Coax, Signal Cable Magic Power Cables x3, Samsung 55JS7000, Harmony 1100, Sony BDP-S6200, Marantz DV-4200 (as Transport), Cambridge Audio DAC Magic100, Monster 3600MKII, Android Mi Box3 and Apple TV. - Pool /Gazebo Yamaha RX-A1010, Polk Patio 25x4, Rotel RDV 1045 (as CDP) MIT AVT3 ICs - Work - Spotify Premium or Neutron App to my FiiO Kunlun into my Grado SR125e

• Joey_VJoey_V Posts: 7,322
    I always look up to teachers, I still keep in touch with my AP bio teacher
    Joey's Gear:
    Current Gear:
    Torus RM15 -> Emm Labs TSDx/Bluesound Node 2 -> Emm Labs DAC2x -> ??? -> Boulder 2060 stereo amp (w/ Audioquest WEL Signature) -> new speakers + JL Audio F113v2 x2
    Rotel RA1592 Super Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3
    Oppo 105D -> Rotel RC1570 preamp -> Rotel RB1582 amp -> Focal Kanta 2

Main speakers system evolution over the years:
    Klipsch Promedia 4.1 -> Axiom M22ti -> Sonus Faber Concertino -> Sonus Faber Concerto -> Polk LSi7 -> Polk LSi9 -> Martin Logan Mosaic -> AV123 Onix Ref 1 -> Martin Logan Vantage -> AV123 Strata Mini -> Martin Logan Summit -> Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor -> BW 802D2 -> Sonus Faber Stradivari -> Rockport Avior -> BW 802D3 -> BW 800D3 -> ???

Old Gear:
    Speakers:
    BW PM1 (3.5/5), CM10s2 (3.75/5), BW800D3 (5/5), Rockport Aviors (5/5), Sonus Faber Stradivari (5/5), BW 802D2 (4.5/5), Martin Logan Summits (4.25/5), Martin Logan Vantage (4/5), Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor (3.75/5), AV123 Strata Mini (3.5/5), ML Mosaic (3.25/5), Onix Ref1 (3/5), Sonus Faber Concerto (2.75/5), SF Concertino (2.5/5), Axiom M22ti (2/5), Polk LSi9 (3/5), LSi7 (2.9/5)
    Source:
    Squeezebox 3 -> PS Audio Digital Link III -> Cary 306/200 CDP -> Cary 306 SACD -> EMM LABS DAC2X/TSDX
    Preamplification:
    Rotel RC1070 -> Rogue Perseus -> Cary SLP98 -> Cary SLP98F1 -> Cary SLP05 (sold and then repurchased) -> ARC 5se -> ???
    Amplification:
    HK AVR330 -> Rotel RB1070 -> Rotel RB1090 -> Plinius SA102 -> Cary 211FE -> Classe M600 -> Boulder 2060
    Subwoofer:
    Infinity Entra2 -> SVS 25-31PCi -> SVS 25-31PC+ -> Dual JL Audio F113v2
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,463
    That's awesome!