Buying new front speakers

Options

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    Let's clear one thing up right now, there's nothing I wouldn't say in your face, sport.

The fact of the matter is you just walked into someone's house with no respect for those that were there before you. Not to mention, you have zero sense of humor.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• User1
    User1 Posts: 40
    Options
    Lightman1 and Rpf65, what are your second favorite series? If you couldn't get SDA's, what would your next choice be? I might as well get all this info while I can so I know what to look for after I get more power.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Depends on your application.

If music is important, or semi important, the LSI M705, providing you want to stay with Polk. If music is of very little or no importance, then something from the RTI A line, again if you want to stay Polk.

If your looking for a speaker for non- music listening, you may want to look at Klipsch. Just a personal preference, but I just don't like them for music. A lot of people do, but I think there are probably 50 manufacturers that are better for music.

Speakers for music are a more personal thing. Want a musical suggestion, listen to different brands. Pick 3 that sound great, and 3 you absolutely hate. Give the reasons why. Start a new thread, and ask which other brands people recommend.
  • tat
    tat Posts: 159
    Options
    User1 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    You need to improve your reading comprehension. I didn't call you foolish, just your reasoning, especially since you haven't even heard the speakers in question.

FYI, 99% of a pair of most SDA's are black.

My reading comprehension is just fine. It's your people skills and your comprehension that's the problem. I've said twice now that no matter how good they sound, I do not want a speaker that I find ugly. You seem to have missed that the first time. If you don't have anything good to say, just don't say anything at all. Please remove yourself from my post and go troll someone else. And for your information... Most of the SDA's I saw were NOT black. I didn't look for very long anyway since I dont want that particular speaker. You are not wanted here. Goodbye.

People who frequent an audio forum when they do not have specific questions like the one that brought you here are going to be the type whom accurate sound is basically the only qualification for buying a speaker. For decor concerns, an interior design forum would be just as appropriate in many ways. But you are looking for ideas that meet both your priorities I gather. It certainly isnt unusual for folks to place asthetics as high as actual performance in their critiques. I think B&W has alot of all black speakers; they tend to be fatter but they may have some tall thin ones as well. And the Polk LSi or whatever are good Ive heard.

If it were me I would probably wait for the SDA satelite system that is in the works now! http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/174004/sda/p1

Another option is refinishing speakers to a color more suitable for your tastes.
    When freedom is outlawed, only outlaws are free...
  • tat
    edited September 2016
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    These are right up your alley.

5bjro2fk4qln.jpg

Hey it looks like a JBL LE8 or D208 in the "midrange" position. Are those from the "70's show" set? They look like they may weigh 19 lbs each. lol But without the flashing rainbow colored lights they wont fit my "circuit party" decor lol

One can find the original Monitor series speakers at great bargains. And the vintage RTA series is tall and thin but needs heavy amplifier I hear. The SDA's need 2 midrange drivers horizontally placed to faciliate the design so they are always wider. Until they come out with new designs that is.
  • tat
    edited September 2016
    Options
    deleted

Post edited by tat on
  • tat
    edited September 2016
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    I have 1C that are all black. Low key apearance and a spooky good sound stage.

I'd love to hear some since everybody seems to say how awesome they are. I'm sure the SDA's aren't the ONLY speakers Polk has made that sounded really good. What are some other favorites of the past?

They are just the best I've heard. Set-up correctly they can get you in league with far more expensive speakers. But they can need some maintanance being 20 years old now, which may be more than your interested in doing. Your aesthetic complaints may actually be part of the reason they are no longer made. im still think once someone hears really good speakers in their own living room compared to run of the mill stuff, that they will lose any inclination to sacrifice the glorious sound merely in order to match the curtains. Most folks dont get that far though.
  • tat
    edited September 2016
    Options

Note the number of posts vs. your handful. Relax. F1 has contributed to this forum for years and frankly only poked a little fun at you. I suspect you know he is right to some extent hence the strong reaction. You should expect some instigation when you come to an audiophile forum and start talking about superficial stuff like matching decor being more (or as) important than actual performance of speakers. I buy art thats pretty and speakers that sound good. Most folks here are likely the same, if with wives whose priorities are not the same. You are likely a more visual person than auditory. Your welcome here just as he is, and as adults we shouldnt need chaperones to make sure our feelings dont get hurt.
    Imagine if you went over to a skiing forum and starting talking about wanting skis that looked pretty instead of ones that actually perform well. In a sense it is you who are attacking the love of truly great performing speakers, and people who share your sentiment definitely screw up the market for those of us who are only concerned with practicality.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I've always been a Polk fan. I managed to get an entire set of Monitors from Circuit City when it closed down. I've got 50's up front, cs1 center, monitor 30's as surrounds, OWM3's as rear surrounds and (2)PSW 505 subs. All running off a Yamaha Aventage RXA-720. I've also got a Velodyne sms 1 for subwoofer management(even though I have no idea how to set it up) A Sony Blu-ray and a 47 inch Samsung 1080p 3d 240hz LED display. It's by no means a big system or an expensive system, but it sounds absolutely amazing for what it is. I'd like to buy new front speakers(and new center) I was thinking about the Rtia5's. Do you think I would have a big improvement in sound quality? I've had these for years and I just want something new! I was considering the Tsi500 also, but I ruled them out after reading reviews. If not the Rti series then what else? I'm on a budget so I'm willing to look at older models that performed well also.

The thing about buying one series or another is to keep the timbre match between the speakers. Replacing just the fronts with another product line may not sound right or maybe you might like it. In your case (and budget) if you would like to keep everything else as it is then I would start with buying Monitor 70-75's for the fronts, get a CS2, and move your 50's to the rear. You will still be able to run your present Yamaha if your like me I seldom get louder than 90 db and a powered sub woofer will/should do most of the bass work if you set it up properly. And it sounds to me like thin towers and their looks is a visual preference for you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290272&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-Skimlinks-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3987228&SID=skim21533X796357X89a309304a02f2a1b4f04283010dc10d
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited September 2016
    Options
    ...or wait for the new Polks to come out and see if they are up your alley.

I should add that Audyssey can make strange bed fellows of speakers.
    Fronts and the center has to match though or you wont be happy for long.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Welcome User1.

Basically it depends on what you want to accomplish, but I would agree with Skip, put a powerful amp on what you currently have so that you can hear just what your speakers are capable of.

When I first came on here, I was thinking of upgrading to LSI's, but I was told that my Denon receiver couldn't handle them, and to get an amp. I purchased a Parasound 1500A 205wpc amp and discovered what my then 15 year old RTA-8Ts truly sounded like.

Well here we are, and my speakers are now 26 years old and still in operation as my main speakers. They are now powered by a 5 channel Sunfire 405wpc amp and sound as good as ever.

Once you have a good amp in place to drive any speakers you have to their full potential, you can then take your time and check other speakers that might catch your fancy.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Options
    I like this one, but it may be gone.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/173857/marantz-sr7008-for-sale#latest

I have not had SDA's in a HT before so I can't speak to their performance in that setup. Like someone mentioned before, I like Klispch for HT because they've been so efficient and give a VERY wide dynamic range.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    Options
    User1, you have the right to your opinion. Sda is not for you based on your criteria.

F1 is a little rough around the edges at times... Maybe prickly... Sometimes fuzzy too.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • User1
    Options
    tat wrote: »
    Lol You're starting to look pathetic! Were you not shown enough attention as a child? Daddy didn't love you? What? Lol

Go away man

Note the number of posts vs. your handful. Relax. F1 has contributed to this forum for years and frankly only poked a little fun at you. I suspect you know he is right to some extent hence the strong reaction. You should expect some instigation when you come to an audiophile forum and start talking about superficial stuff like matching decor being more (or as) important than actual performance of speakers. I buy art thats pretty and speakers that sound good. Most folks here are likely the same, if with wives whose priorities are not the same. You are likely a more visual person than auditory. Your welcome here just as he is, and as adults we shouldnt need chaperones to make sure our feelings dont get hurt.
    Imagine if you went over to a skiing forum and starting talking about wanting skis that looked pretty instead of ones that actually perform well. In a sense it is you who are attacking the love of truly great performing speakers, and people who share your sentiment definitely screw up the market for those of us who are only concerned with practicality.

I'm sure the guy know his stuff. Like I said though, there are plenty of other people that know their stuff, too and aren't Jerk offs about it. Forums have gotten to where they're almost useless because of keyboard warriors like... Him. I see your point, but looks are just as important as sound to me. I don't care what anybody else's opinion is on MY home theater. And yes, I only have a handful of posts, but I still have the right to not want something for whatever reason I see fit. I didn't ask for his opinion on my logic. I ask a specific question(what else other than SDA series) and got a smart **** answer) I didn't get my feelings hurt! Lol I just don't put up with Bullys and that is exactly what he was TRYING to do. Even if he doesn't realize it. People like that are the ones who run new people off of forums. Good thing for me I don't give a damn what a stranger behind a keyboard has to say.
  • User1
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    User1, you have the right to your opinion. Sda is not for you based on your criteria.

F1 is a little rough around the edges at times... Maybe prickly... Sometimes fuzzy too.

Thank you Joey! I'm taking everyone's advice and getting a new receiver first. I'll see how my 50's do then. It's only practical.
  • User1
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Welcome User1.

Basically it depends on what you want to accomplish, but I would agree with Skip, put a powerful amp on what you currently have so that you can hear just what your speakers are capable of.

When I first came on here, I was thinking of upgrading to LSI's, but I was told that my Denon receiver couldn't handle them, and to get an amp. I purchased a Parasound 1500A 205wpc amp and discovered what my then 15 year old RTA-8Ts truly sounded like.

Well here we are, and my speakers are now 26 years old and still in operation as my main speakers. They are now powered by a 5 channel Sunfire 405wpc amp and sound as good as ever.

Once you have a good amp in place to drive any speakers you have to their full potential, you can then take your time and check other speakers that might catch your fancy.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I am in agreement with you. More power first. Then speakers(if needed)
  • User1
    Options
    rpf65 wrote: »
    Depends on your application.

If music is important, or semi important, the LSI M705, providing you want to stay with Polk. If music is of very little or no importance, then something from the RTI A line, again if you want to stay Polk.

If your looking for a speaker for non- music listening, you may want to look at Klipsch. Just a personal preference, but I just don't like them for music. A lot of people do, but I think there are probably 50 manufacturers that are better for music.

Speakers for music are a more personal thing. Want a musical suggestion, listen to different brands. Pick 3 that sound great, and 3 you absolutely hate. Give the reasons why. Start a new thread, and ask which other brands people recommend.

Music is of little concern to me in the house. I only listen to music in my car. Thank you also for the useful information.
  • User1
    Options
    Welcome User1.

Thank you, sir. I'll upgrade power and THEN make a decision on speakers.
    xsmi wrote: »
    I like this one, but it may be gone.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/173857/marantz-sr7008-for-sale#latest

I have not had SDA's in a HT before so I can't speak to their performance in that setup. Like someone mentioned before, I like Klispch for HT because they've been so efficient and give a VERY wide dynamic range.

I'll check it out. Thank you.
  • User1
    Options
    PolkieMan wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I've always been a Polk fan. I managed to get an entire set of Monitors from Circuit City when it closed down. I've got 50's up front, cs1 center, monitor 30's as surrounds, OWM3's as rear surrounds and (2)PSW 505 subs. All running off a Yamaha Aventage RXA-720. I've also got a Velodyne sms 1 for subwoofer management(even though I have no idea how to set it up) A Sony Blu-ray and a 47 inch Samsung 1080p 3d 240hz LED display. It's by no means a big system or an expensive system, but it sounds absolutely amazing for what it is. I'd like to buy new front speakers(and new center) I was thinking about the Rtia5's. Do you think I would have a big improvement in sound quality? I've had these for years and I just want something new! I was considering the Tsi500 also, but I ruled them out after reading reviews. If not the Rti series then what else? I'm on a budget so I'm willing to look at older models that performed well also.

The thing about buying one series or another is to keep the timbre match between the speakers. Replacing just the fronts with another product line may not sound right or maybe you might like it. In your case (and budget) if you would like to keep everything else as it is then I would start with buying Monitor 70-75's for the fronts, get a CS2, and move your 50's to the rear. You will still be able to run your present Yamaha if your like me I seldom get louder than 90 db and a powered sub woofer will/should do most of the bass work if you set it up properly. And it sounds to me like thin towers and their looks is a visual preference for you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290272&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-Skimlinks-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3987228&SID=skim21533X796357X89a309304a02f2a1b4f04283010dc10d

I guess I should have said I was going to get a new center also. Sorry. You can't read my mind!
  • User1
    Options
    PolkieMan wrote: »

I'll get a matching center when I buy new L/R. Those 75 are nice too!
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Welcome User1.

Thank you, sir.

Cathy's a woman. I've met her. And what a woman she is! Hey now! B)
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr6010/marantz-sr6010-7.2-ch-x-110-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

Think you may want to look at this AVR. It should drive your current speakers with no problem. Has pre-outs, if you want to add an amp later.

Will drive the A5's and CSI center, at reasonable levels, but like anything else has its limits. Don't let the wattage fool you, Marantz is the conservative side of the D/M world.

I would choose the 6010 over the 6009 simply because it has a better version of Ausyssey.

If I were you, I'd start with a new AVR.

Thank you for providing useful information. Yes, I agree. It's looking like I need a new HTR before I buy new speakers. I've never considered Marantz before. No reason. Just never looked at them. I've used Onkyo for 25 years and always loved it. I'm too leary of it now though after the huge HDMI issue they had. I heard a set of Definitive Technology Bipolar speakers today and absolutely loved their sound! I might have to sell my Polks and go the Bipolar route(after a new receiver) Thanks for the suggestion and the link.

I never seen anyone use bipoles as fronts but then I have never seen a man eat his own head...yet.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    Options
    Come on guys take it easy on the new guy, he's got an honest question and an honest dilemma.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Let's play nice kids. LOL

@User1, Welcome to Club Polk! Although your first couple days may have seemed a little tense, stick around, get to know some of the folks around here, and I think you'll realize that this really is a tight knit group of fine folks who bend over backwards to help a fellow audio enthusiast out.

That said, I completely understand that you don't know many folks here, and haven't had the luxury yet to know how some members express themselves. Sarcasm and joking don't always come through in written word, and unless you know the person behind the comments, the door for interpretation is left wide open.

If I can offer some of my unofficial guidelines I follow based on my short 7-8 years here, you might survive the hazing period.
    • If you don't know him, F1Nut can come off as, well, a 'intelligent donkey' (I say that in the most complimentary of ways Jesse!). But rest assured, he is a wealth of knowledge, and you will soon realize that he does really care and will go out of his way to help and share his knowledge and experience... just sometimes in a slightly sadistic way. But, he only comes out at night.
    • He's a great guy, but keep lightman1 out of your bushes. I don't know, but I've heard rumors...
    • Cfrizz is the most courageous person I know around here as she gracefully puts up with the often childish banter from all of us boys. She knows a thing or two about good, clean power, and opened my eyes to the benefits of separates.
    • If you need computer help, more bass, or a Mountain Dew, reach out to EndersShadow!
    • Move to Southern California... Bluefox has the best Karmas, although he very unselfishly refuses to call his generosity a Karma.
    • If you ever see a thread started by Polkfarmboy, get the popcorn. You may also want to think twice about shipping anything to him (his local FedEx driver doesn't like him...).
    • If you ever think of modding speakers, get to know Toolfan66, gimpod, VR3, and F1Nut, among many others.
    • If you need good cables, look to Douglas Connections. Helipilotdoug is your man.
    • Run, don't walk away from cable debate threads.
    • Start an "audio fun money fund" (just don't call it an "audio slush fund"). These folks LOVE to help you spend your money.
    • You need tubes? Heiney9's your inside source.
    • 99.9% of the members here are people I would trust, and although I've not met most of them face to face, I consider them in a strange sort of way, extended family.
    • 72% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
    • Stay on tonyb's good side. If you ever ship anything to him, include a canoli... or wine. Capisce?
    • When you decide to step into other speaker brands, pay DSkip a visit.
    • Live vicariously through JoeyV. He's got some drool-worthy audio gear.
    • Rick88 used to post some... catchy... pictures. B)
    • If you have ANY idea where one can find black paint, please, for the love of GOD, let us all know!
    These should help a little... Now everyone kiss and make up. :*

Peace,
    -Al
  • ken brydson
    Options
    scubalab wrote: »

@User1, Welcome to Club Polk! Although your first couple days may have seemed a little tense, stick around, get to know some of the folks around here, and I think you'll realize that this really is a tight knit group of fine folks who bend over backwards to help a fellow audio enthusiast out.

That said, I completely understand that you don't know many folks here, and haven't had the luxury yet to know how some members express themselves. Sarcasm and joking don't always come through in written word, and unless you know the person behind the comments, the door for interpretation is left wide open.

If I can offer some of my unofficial guidelines I follow based on my short 7-8 years here, you might survive the hazing period.
    • If you don't know him, F1Nut can come off as, well, a 'intelligent donkey' (I say that in the most complimentary of ways Jesse!). But rest assured, he is a wealth of knowledge, and you will soon realize that he does really care and will go out of his way to help and share his knowledge and experience... just sometimes in a slightly sadistic way. But, he only comes out at night.
    • He's a great guy, but keep lightman1 out of your bushes. I don't know, but I've heard rumors...
    • Cfrizz is the most courageous person I know around here as she gracefully puts up with the often childish banter from all of us boys. She knows a thing or two about good, clean power, and opened my eyes to the benefits of separates.
    • If you need computer help, more bass, or a Mountain Dew, reach out to EndersShadow!
    • Move to Southern California... Bluefox has the best Karmas, although he very unselfishly refuses to call his generosity a Karma.
    • If you ever see a thread started by Polkfarmboy, get the popcorn. You may also want to think twice about shipping anything to him (his local FedEx driver doesn't like him...).
    • If you ever think of modding speakers, get to know Toolfan66, gimpod, VR3, and F1Nut, among many others.
    • If you need good cables, look to Douglas Connections. Helipilotdoug is your man.
    • Start an "audio fun money fund" (just don't call it an "audio slush fund"). These folks LOVE to help you spend your money.
    • 99.9% of the members here are people I would trust, and although I've not met most of them face to face, I consider them in a strange sort of way, extended family.
    • Stay on tonyb's good side. If you ever ship anything to him, include a canoli... or wine. Capisce?
    • If you have ANY idea where one can find black paint, please, for the love of GOD, let us all know!

Peace,
    -Al

That took some work, love it man!
  • User1
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr6010/marantz-sr6010-7.2-ch-x-110-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

Think you may want to look at this AVR. It should drive your current speakers with no problem. Has pre-outs, if you want to add an amp later.

Will drive the A5's and CSI center, at reasonable levels, but like anything else has its limits. Don't let the wattage fool you, Marantz is the conservative side of the D/M world.

I would choose the 6010 over the 6009 simply because it has a better version of Ausyssey.

If I were you, I'd start with a new AVR.

Thank you for providing useful information. Yes, I agree. It's looking like I need a new HTR before I buy new speakers. I've never considered Marantz before. No reason. Just never looked at them. I've used Onkyo for 25 years and always loved it. I'm too leary of it now though after the huge HDMI issue they had. I heard a set of Definitive Technology Bipolar speakers today and absolutely loved their sound! I might have to sell my Polks and go the Bipolar route(after a new receiver) Thanks for the suggestion and the link.

I never seen anyone use bipoles as fronts but then I have never seen a man eat his own head...yet.

They have been making bipolar towers for 25 years that I know of. I remember listening to some for the first time when I was in the 7th grade. The speaker was as tall as I was! It was at a high end store in my hometown. They had the Definitive BP towers and a set of Infinity Kappa's running off Macintosh(sp?) preamp and amp The bipolar Def Tech sounded just as good as the Kappa and that's was saying something. I loved their sound(as fronts) back then, and I loved it again recently. Check them out if you've never read up on them. They're worth listening to.
  • User1
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Come on guys take it easy on the new guy, he's got an honest question and an honest dilemma.
    It's OK Joey. I can take care of myself. I don't let people like them bother me. I actually enjoy getting under their skin sometimes! That's not what I came here for though. I do have a legitimate issue, but you all have helped me figure out my first move. Getting a new HTR with pre outs. Speakers can come later. Thank you for the help though. All I want are meaningful posts, but sometimes people make that impossible.
  • User1
    Options
    scubalab wrote: »

Peace,
    -Al

That took some work, love it man!

Wow! Thank you for the info! I've already met what seem to be great people. There's always a "bad apple" of the bunch, Or in this case, an ornery one that apparently knows his stuff. No harm, no fowl. I won't be on here all that often anyway, but I do like to have knowledgeable(and nice) people to go to when I have a question. My welcome here has been mostly gracious, and I appreciate that.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Occasionally check your shrubs for hot dogs.