Buying new front speakers

Options
User1
User1 Posts: 40
edited September 2016 in Speakers
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I've always been a Polk fan. I managed to get an entire set of Monitors from Circuit City when it closed down. I've got 50's up front, cs1 center, monitor 30's as surrounds, OWM3's as rear surrounds and (2)PSW 505 subs. All running off a Yamaha Aventage RXA-720. I've also got a Velodyne sms 1 for subwoofer management(even though I have no idea how to set it up) A Sony Blu-ray and a 47 inch Samsung 1080p 3d 240hz LED display. It's by no means a big system or an expensive system, but it sounds absolutely amazing for what it is. I'd like to buy new front speakers(and new center) I was thinking about the Rtia5's. Do you think I would have a big improvement in sound quality? I've had these for years and I just want something new! I was considering the Tsi500 also, but I ruled them out after reading reviews. If not the Rti series then what else? I'm on a budget so I'm willing to look at older models that performed well also.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• User1
    Options
    I don't have preamp outputs on this receiver and buying a new one isn't an option. I like the HTR I have now. I'm not against adding another amp to my setup, but I don't think I can do it. Right now, I want new speakers. Did I mention my living room is tiny. I am moving soon and will have more space, but for the time being, I don't have a large listening area. I'm wanting better, not louder.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    That receiver at 105w with 2 channel driven may be underpowered with 7 channels driven.

Would be interested to see if an amp and bigger center would be the most beneficial.

How big is your room?
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • User1
    Options
    I agree, adding more power is definitely needed, but I don't know how to do it(other than buying a new HTR with pre outs) I do have an analog audio out but I suspect it puts out a full range signal, instead of just the audio the L/R speakers are playing. My room right now, are you ready to Lol? Is about 12x12. I'm moving soon though. When I bought this system, I had a much larger house. Divorce sucks... Anyway, it's temporary. Like I said, I'm also open to something a little older. It doesn't have to be a current model. Does anyone have any suggestions about adding power? Do I need to ask that elsewhere?
  • User1
    Options
    I've always used Onkyo products. Since the 7th grade(I'm almost 40 now) until they started having all the HDMI issues. I got a good deal on the Yamaha. You can imagine my surprise when I turned it on. It was very different than what I expected. I'd love to go back to Onkyo but I'm still a little leary. I hope they get their issues worked out.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,649
    edited September 2016
    Options
    User1 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I've always been a Polk fan. I managed to get an entire set of Monitors from Circuit City when it closed down. I've got 50's up front, cs1 center, monitor 30's as surrounds, OWM3's as rear surrounds and (2)PSW 505 subs. All running off a Yamaha Aventage RXA-720. I've also got a Velodyne sms 1 for subwoofer management(even though I have no idea how to set it up) A Sony Blu-ray and a 47 inch Samsung 1080p 3d 240hz LED display. It's by no means a big system or an expensive system, but it sounds absolutely amazing for what it is. I'd like to buy new front speakers(and new center) I was thinking about the Rtia5's. Do you think I would have a big improvement in sound quality? I've had these for years and I just want something new! I was considering the Tsi500 also, but I ruled them out after reading reviews. If not the Rti series then what else? I'm on a budget so I'm willing to look at older models that performed well also.

If it sounds amazing to you I'd suggest holding off until you have a bigger budget and have moved to your larger space. Upgraditus is a cruel beotch...
  • User1
    Options
    It does sound great to me and all my friends, but we aren't experts. I've had these speakers going on 10 years. I'm going to have to work with what I've got for a little while. I plan on selling my 50's and putting the money toward better speakers. I know I need to get a new receiver or even separates. As long as the new receiver has pre out, I'll be good.
  • ken brydson
    Options
    Newer isn't "always" better. A lot of us are running vintage rigs...
  • User1
    Options
    I guess I should have said "different"That would be more accurate.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Get a pair of SDA's off Craigslist. Compared to Monitor 50's they'll blow your mind.

Set all of your speakers to SMALL in the settings, that should save a bit of power for the SDA's.

Upgrade your AVR to one with preouts and get an amp later and your mind will be blown again.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • User1
    Options
    Please forgive my ignorance, but what are SDA'S?
  • User1
    Options
    I was thinking Definitive Technology also. I like Bi-polar speakers, but I wanted to keep everything Polk.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    edited September 2016
    Options
    They're a vintage line of Polk Audio speakers ranging in size from these

1116591-polk-sda-crs-complete-with-original-polk-stands.jpg

to these

SDA-SRS-12.jpg

with many sizes in between.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • User1
    Options
    Those are nice. I was looking at Denon or onkyo receivers with pre outs. It's looking like I'm going to HAVE to upgrade to at the very least an amp for my front speakers. I'll have to sell my current HTR, but that's OK. Thanks for the advice!
  • User1
    Options
    I checked out the SDA series on eBay. They are a little too old for my taste. I need something that comes in black and is more of a tower speaker. I know a lot of people will say I'm crazy for this, but no matter how good the SDA series sound, I wouldn't be happy with them due to their styling/color. What did they make that might be a little more modern looking, but still sounds good? I've heard many Polk speakers over the years that I loved, but I don't recall any of their model numbers.
  • User1
    Options
    In western North Carolina.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Me too. Sometimes....

I'll be home in about two months. Open door, bring beer and Cheetos. And sardines.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited September 2016
    Options

So are my Dynaudio's but they sound bada$$ and are purdy too ;)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • User1
    edited September 2016
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I checked out the SDA series on eBay. They are a little too old for my taste. I need something that comes in black and is more of a tower speaker. I know a lot of people will say I'm crazy for this, but no matter how good the SDA series sound, I wouldn't be happy with them due to their styling/color. What did they make that might be a little more modern looking, but still sounds good? I've heard many Polk speakers over the years that I loved, but I don't recall any of their model numbers.

I thought somebody might say that. What you call "foolish" I call a difference of opinion. Just because I like something different than you doesn't make me stupid. Integration into my living room is just as important as good sound TO ME. You don't have to like it. It's my living room and I want what makes ME happy. Yes, I need advice to find a good blend between looks and performance. That's why I joined this forum. I've already gotten lots of useful information on here. I'd like to keep it that way too, so if you don't have something meaningful to contribute to my post, please just don't comment at all. Constructive criticism is fine. Calling someone "foolish" just because their ideas differ from yours, is not wanted and is counter productive. Thank you to the guys that have offered me help(even if I didn't take your advice) :)
  • User1
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Me too. Sometimes....

I'll be home in about two months. Open door, bring beer and Cheetos. And sardines.

Sounds good man! Except for the sardines... You'll have to eat those on your own! Lol
  • lightman1
    Options
    Me too. Sometimes....

Sounds good man! Except for the sardines... You'll have to eat those on your own! Lol

Ok. How about potted meat and crackers. That's good eatin'!
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Me too. Sometimes....

Ok. How about potted meat and crackers. That's good eatin'!

Yeah, it's pretty loud. Looky there. I believe you right. I believe I see one right in there.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You need to improve your reading comprehension. I didn't call you foolish, just your reasoning, especially since you haven't even heard the speakers in question.

FYI, 99% of a pair of most SDA's are black.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• lightman1
    Options
    I have 1C that are all black. Low key apearance and a spooky good sound stage.
  • User1
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    You need to improve your reading comprehension. I didn't call you foolish, just your reasoning, especially since you haven't even heard the speakers in question.

FYI, 99% of a pair of most SDA's are black.

My reading comprehension is just fine. It's your people skills and your comprehension that's the problem. I've said twice now that no matter how good they sound, I do not want a speaker that I find ugly. You seem to have missed that the first time. If you don't have anything good to say, just don't say anything at all. Please remove yourself from my post and go troll someone else. And for your information... Most of the SDA's I saw were NOT black. I didn't look for very long anyway since I dont want that particular speaker. You are not wanted here. Goodbye.
  • User1
    Options
    I have 1C that are all black. Low key apearance and a spooky good sound stage.

I'd love to hear some since everybody seems to say how awesome they are. I'm sure the SDA's aren't the ONLY speakers Polk has made that sounded really good. What are some other favorites of the past?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Would you like to buy a vowel?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    edited September 2016
    Options

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr6010/marantz-sr6010-7.2-ch-x-110-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

Think you may want to look at this AVR. It should drive your current speakers with no problem. Has pre-outs, if you want to add an amp later.

Will drive the A5's and CSI center, at reasonable levels, but like anything else has its limits. Don't let the wattage fool you, Marantz is the conservative side of the D/M world.

I would choose the 6010 over the 6009 simply because it has a better version of Ausyssey.

If I were you, I'd start with a new AVR.
  • User1
    Options
    rpf65 wrote: »
    http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr6010/marantz-sr6010-7.2-ch-x-110-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

Think you may want to look at this AVR. It should drive your current speakers with no problem. Has pre-outs, if you want to add an amp later.

Will drive the A5's and CSI center, at reasonable levels, but like anything else has its limits. Don't let the wattage fool you, Marantz is the conservative side of the D/M world.

I would choose the 6010 over the 6009 simply because it has a better version of Ausyssey.

If I were you, I'd start with a new AVR.

Thank you for providing useful information. Yes, I agree. It's looking like I need a new HTR before I buy new speakers. I've never considered Marantz before. No reason. Just never looked at them. I've used Onkyo for 25 years and always loved it. I'm too leary of it now though after the huge HDMI issue they had. I heard a set of Definitive Technology Bipolar speakers today and absolutely loved their sound! I might have to sell my Polks and go the Bipolar route(after a new receiver) Thanks for the suggestion and the link.
  • lightman1
    Options
    F1 is kinda useful in his own acerbic, doodoo head way.
    I'm the troll.
  • User1
    Options
    F1 is kinda useful in his own acerbic, doodoo head way.
    I'm the troll.

I was just having some fun with the old boy. He's not really bothering me. There's always somebody on these forums that gets behind the keyboard and spouts off things to people they wouldn't normally have any contact with. "keyboard warriors" I call them. I'm sure he's useful, but I'm also sure there's plenty of other guys on here that are useful AND aren't **** bags while helping you. I've already met quite a few actually. Most people are very knowledgeable and nice on here. There's an "F1nut" on every forum. I just ignore them. :)