large or small

Wesmo
Wesmo Posts: 74
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
Well I got a new powered sub last week and am running it from the LFE, but I have a question. Will my rt600i's be better off set to "Large" or should I let the subwoofer take care of all of the lows and set the 600's as "Small" so they can concentrate on the mids and highs?

Wes
Post edited by Wesmo on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited April 2002
    this is really a matter of preference. i would suggest testing out both and see which method you prefer. i run my 800's set at small, and let my HSU's handle the bass. i find the 800's are cleaner easing them away from the lower frequencies. you will find some prefer them set to large in a very similar set-up. it's all a matter of personal preference. welcome, and happy listening...:D

BTW, what rec. are you running?
  • Wesmo
    edited April 2002
    I'm actually listening with the 600's set to small and I agree with you. They seem to be clearer and more smooth. They receiver is the problem with my set up. It's a lowly sony str475, so that's what I', saving up for now. It's kind rough being a college freshman with a 5.35 an hour job, and trying to afford high end equipment, but I'm making a good run at it.
  • Wesmo
    edited April 2002
    Do you have any recommendations for receivers, Juice? I almost bought an Onkyo 696 the other day, but decided to hold off to shop around to make sure I get what I want.
  • juice21
    edited April 2002
    i am in the same boat as well. my kenwood is now the weakest link in my system. i have been listening to many recs. over the past 6-8 months. i have narrowed it down to the onkyo 797, denon 3802, or an outlaw 1050. i think i've finnaly narrowed the marantz 6200 out of the running. the new onkyo 6.1 sr600 (i think?) would be the one to buy if i didn't need pre-outs, but this is too important for me not to have. the 797 offers alot for the price, and sounds good paired with polks. the denon's sound great, although i haven't heard it paired with polk's (none of the hifi store's around me carry both). the 1050 is highly regarded on the web, although i've never heard it, the $500 price tag is very attractive. i am not into PLII and stuff. i just want a 6.1/7.1 capable rec. with pre-outs for 'down the road' amplification. what are you looking to spend? if you don't need pre-outs i would suggest looking at the onkyo. great value for your dollar. i am only 2 years out of school, and i feel your pain, although i am making $ now, the school loans really pinch the HT/HS budget...:(
  • juice21
    edited April 2002
  • Wesmo
    edited April 2002
    Well, at first I thought that no more than 500 bucks was my limit. Now, however, I think that I could go up to 800. I'd really like to get about 100 watts per channel, and 6.1 would be nice (though I'm doubting that one). I'd love to find a good deal though. Last week I could have gotten the onkyo 696 for 650, plus 12 months same as cash. I'd like to see if the price comes down even more though, since onkyo's newer stuff is starting to come out.
  • juice21
    edited April 2002
    the sr600 is very comparabe to the 696 and with a MSRP of $530, it should be in stores for lower than your original $500 price mark. the best way is to just go out and listen. let your ears decide...;)

the CC 12 months, no interest makes it very easy to spend a little more than you were planning on originally...:D
  • Wesmo
    edited April 2002
    Yes, the 600 does sound inviting, though I'm really not sure if I want to buy a new receiver without preouts. Although I don't see the need in it now, maybe sometime down the road I'll want it, and I'd hate to sink a lot of money in something that won't upgrade. If I'm going to go, I'd like to go all out as long as my budget will allow it.
  • juice21
    edited April 2002
    i hear you, pre-outs are a MUST for my next rec.

good luck in your search, and keep us updated...
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2002
    I don't have the rt600i(s) but it is my firm belief that a speaker that is rated to go as low as this one does {[(mighty low considering single woofer]dang Polk is there a transmission line ("HORN" enclosure)inside?} can handle the bass. In my experience, 40hz-100hz is GREATLY benefitted by stereo. Not to mention the fact that VERY few subs sound good above 70hz, and you end-up with a dip in a key freq. range.

When talking about pre-outs, are you guys looking for seperate outs for each 5 channels, or stereo?
    Make it Funky! :)
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2002
    But I just realized I usead all 3. {[( in that last post. I'm sorry if it's confusing, but that the way I think.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited April 2002
    Small
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited April 2002
    I have my RT-800i's set to "Large", and I prefer the sound that way. I think the 800 has a large advantage over the 600 due to the third driver (woofer), and is flat to around 42 Hz (memory).

Heck, when I listen to them in stereo mode, I have them set to Large and I kill the subs, and I really don't miss much at all in the low end department. I love listening to the 800's all by themselves sometimes - such a well balanced speaker.

I don't know what the exact crossover frequency to the LFE is on Large, but it can't be THAT low can it? I'm guessing by ear it's around 80Hz on my receiver. I think the 800's can handle that easily. Even at typical HT volumes, cone excursion has never looked that severe in Large mode. Plus, if Normal/Small is selected, aren't frequencies in this crossiver range still somewhat directional? I would imagine the front stereo separation would suffer as a result.

Juice21, you mentioned a Kenwood - what model?

I'm running one of the new Kenwood VR series of home theater receivers (2001 model line-up), and I have absolutely no issues with features, function, flexibility, sound quality, build quality, or power output. Decoding in DD and DTS has been flawless with excellent channel separation. It just sits there and does whatever I ask it to perfectly and without complaint or fanfare. I'm quite impressed with it actually.

It is rated at 100WPC from 20-20K with 0.7% THD for all five channels running at once, so it is a true 500 watt unit. I've never had it past -25 on the volume in HT mode, and it's very loud and still totally clean at that point with lots of dynamic room left for peaks.

I compared it to other receivers and it seemed to offer a great deal of value, so I bought it!!

I've read a lot about various receivers sounding harsh or strident, or thin (e.g., Sony and Polks are a bad combo), but my Kenwood has never cranked out anything but clean, neutral sound.

Am I missing something here? Seems like Denon, Onkyo, and Marantz rule the roost in this forum. I never heard anyone bash a new VR series Kenwood, but haven't heard them praised much either.

Anyone care to weigh in, good or bad, on the new Kenwood VR series of receivers?

Spec
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • juice21
    edited April 2002
    it's not a bad rec. at all, it is the last of my HTIB left from my college dorm set-up, and my biggest problem with it is that it has no preouts. if it did, i would probably keep it (at least for a while) as a pre-pro and buy a more powerful amp. it has never failed me, and performs great for the price. i think in it's price range it's a solid bargain. listening to onkyo/denon, etc. IMO they are a step above the kenwood vr series. i am also looking to set up a 6.1/7.1 system, and the vr309 will not allow me to do this. it's served it's purpose well, but i can't hold onto anything for too long, right? i gotta upgrade...:D

not putting it down, just time to move up for me...