Take the time before time runs out!

Along with the sad news on a regular basis lately about fellow Polkies leaving us my family is dealing with the passing of my father a week ago. I knew both my parents were declining in health and wanted to be sure I found the time to do certain things with them. But, as often as it happens, time ran out before I could fully take care of my personal bucket list with my dad.

Not looking for any sympathy here(although I know everyone will feel bad any time one of us deals with the passing of anybody) but am simply imploring you(as has been done by others in the past) that you find the time to do whatever you have been putting off while there is still time to do it. Doesn't matter if it is something you want to do for yourself or if it is something that may mean a lot to another person....just do it!
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,334
    Very sorry for your loss, Bob.

I know the feeling of regret and even guilt that goes with losing a parent. I wish I had done more to help my mother around the house, I wish I had appreciated her quiet self-sacrifice for my sisters and I, I wish I had talked to my father more about his childhood, his WWII Army years, growing up poor and having to quit school early to get a job, etc.

I am sure, for my parents at least, knowing that their children loved them was enough, because that is how I feel about my daughters, but still, I wish I had done more with them and for them.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Sorry for your Loss Bob.

But your message is a good one!

I got lucky with my Dad when he didn't have long he talk to me about a lot of things he did growing up & I listened to everything he needed to say>.. but I did not have that with my Mom though I tried.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Sorry for your loss Bob. I was able to spend a good deal of time with my Dad before he passed, and I'm forever greatful I was able to say the things I did. I guess I need to stop hoping I get the same chance with my Mom and start. Very heartfelt message indeed.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    So sorry for your loss Bob. Time is precious, and I agree wholeheartedly with your advice. Now, to get myself to stop procrastinating and act on it...!
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    I am sorry for your loss. Prayers to you and your family.
    Carl

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    So sorry for your loss. I lost my mother very suddenly about a year ago and not a day passes that I don't think about her or miss her. I had a great relationship with her and don't have the regret of not having expressed my love, admiration and respect for her.
    My dad and I have never been as close as my mom and I were and I realize that she was the glue that held us all together.

Time is fleeting, none of us get out of here alive.

Prayers to you and your family, may you know peace in this troubled time.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 3,027
    scubalab wrote: »
    Time is precious, and I agree wholeheartedly with your advice. Now, to get myself to stop procrastinating and act on it...!

Exactly why I decided to post this. I'm not just talking about your family here but even just yourself. If there is something you have been meaning to do...no matter what it is...do it! Stop making excuses and make the time to do whatever it is. When I look back at my life(I'm no spring chicken) I realize that many of the things I meant to do but didn't were not done due to valid reasons but more due to procrastination or just excuses.

Thanks for the thoughts/prayers. My dad had a good life until his health went downhill. I think he had few if any regrets other than not seeking treatment sooner for his R.A. which basically crippled him in his last few years. Our concern now is my mother and we hope we can help her to live out her final years comfortably and peaceful.

Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Rich502
    Rich502 Posts: 146
    Sorry for your loss OP; good message that folks always need reminding of once in a while to take a step back from the craziness of everyday life and spend more time with your loved ones and/or just doing the things you enjoy.
  • Sorry for your loss. Great advice all around. Do what you've always wanted to do with them if possible, say those things you've always wanted to say, and those things that need to be said.

Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Sorry for your loss.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • An important thing to realize is that unless you are currently experiencing some malady that will get better, you and those you love are younger and healthier today, than you will ever be in the future.

We all seem to think that conditions will improve when we have more time or we will change our routine to improve our health. You may end up with more time, but be in no condition to enjoy what you waited to do.

Sorry for your loss Bob, but thank you for your incite.....
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable