OK this one made me smile :-)

Options
Just had a Polk marketing e-mail in my in-box...

0_01.jpg

Yup -- and I remember being in many of those dorms (not to mention the Rathskeller, which had a pair of Model Nines sittin' on the floor for 'background music' when there was no live music).

ahh, memories.

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    Matt Polk in the middle I believe.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    Maybe Sandy Gross on the left
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,720
    Options
    Gentleman on left.... "We need a better magnet adhesive"
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Maybe Sandy Gross on the left

Or, George Klopfer. Definitely one or the other (in best "Rainman voice"). o:)
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,655
    Options
    Looks like Rob Reiner on the left...
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,070
    edited August 2016
    Options

That's it! He was working on his first mockumentary, "This is Mätthew Pölk", which never saw the light of day. Sandy had just suggested that maybe the Model Nine would be a big success if they started selling them in black. Sort of a pastel black. Wanted to sell 'em in Boston... but Matthew pointed out that Boston wasn't really much of a college town.

12801319773_b958bc4f1b_b.jpgmodelnine by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,655
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

That's it! He was working on his first mockumentary, "This is Matthew Polk", which never saw the light of day. Sandy had just suggested that maybe the Model Nine would be a big success if they started selling them in black. Pastel black. Wanted to sell 'em in Boston... but Matthew pointed out that Boston wasn't really much of a college town.

Explains why the volume knob on the Hitmaster goes to 11..
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options

Or the lion from The Wizard of Oz. ;)

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited August 2016
    Options

That's it! He was working on his first mockumentary, "This is Mätthew Pölk", which never saw the light of day. Sandy had just suggested that maybe the Model Nine would be a big success if they started selling them in black. Sort of a pastel black. Wanted to sell 'em in Boston... but Matthew pointed out that Boston wasn't really much of a college town.

ROTFLOL! Oh no Boston isn't much of a college town. We just have
    Boston College
    Boston University
    Northeastern
    Berklee School of Music
    Boston Conservatory
    New England Conservatory

Then if you want to cross over the Charles River we only have
    Harvard University and MIT.

But no we don't have too many colleges or college students who are all moving in this weekend.

No doubt someone will miss the signs saying that the truck they are driving will NOT fit under the bridges on Storrow Drive and take the top of the truck off! A newbie Duckboat tour driver and all of his passengers learned this the hard way this week!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The line about Boston is probably my single favorite-est line in "This is Spinal Tap". It's almost a throwaway, too. Great movie.

Yes, thanks for the reminder. I teach a course in the fall semester at one of the above-named institutions (on the south side of "the banks of the River Charles"). First class is next week. I'll be schleppin' down there from the northern wastes very soon. Yay.

The funny thing about the Boston metro area. When the schools all start up in the fall, for about 4 to 6 weeks, it's as if everyone in the region has forgotten how to navigate, not to mention the finer points of Boston driving, since things quieted down (a wee bit) in June. Never fails!

And then there's the October "leaf peeper" traffic...

don't get me started...

;)
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    The Bostonians are fine it's all the people who have moved in temporarily from other states that
    1. Don't know where they are going. 2. Have never had to navigate these fun little things called rotaries! ROTFLOL!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • westmassguy
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    The Bostonians are fine it's all the people who have moved in temporarily from other states that
    1. Don't know where they are going. 2. Have never had to navigate these fun little things called rotaries! ROTFLOL!

We have plenty of interlopers here in Western Mass as well, with all the college towns, and then the leaf peepers invade.
    When you give them directions, and you mention Rotary, they look at you like you have three eyes.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2016
    Options

We have plenty of interlopers here in Western Mass as well, with all the college towns, and then the leaf peepers invade.
    When you give them directions, and you mention Rotary, they look at you like you have three eyes.

Puts me to mind of Northampton, MA's slogan:
    Northampton. Like Cambridge, but with parking.

Heh, we were in Western Mass Thursday night for Wait, Wait... at Tanglewood :) I wore my tweed jacket & everything.

We spent the night in Lenox & drove home Friday morning via back roads (as opposed to the Pike) to get to I-91 via good ol' Route 2 up in Greenfield.

I only mention all this because it was an uncommonly beautiful day, and the Berskshires & the Pioneer Valley are uncommonly beautiful in and of themselves.

PS Mrs H went to one of them "Seven Sisters" colleges in the vicinity of the Holyoke Range.

• westmassguy
    Options

Puts me to mind of Northampton, MA's slogan:
    Northampton. Like Cambridge, but with parking.

Heh, we were in Western Mass Thursday night for Wait, Wait... at Tanglewood :) I wore my tweed jacket & everything.

We spent the night in Lenox & drove home Friday morning via back roads (as opposed to the Pike) to get to I-91 via good ol' Route 2 up in Greenfield.

I only mention all this because it was an uncommonly beautiful day, and the Berskshires & the Pioneer Valley are uncommonly beautiful in and of themselves.

PS Mrs H went to one of them "Seven Sisters" colleges in the vicinity of the Holyoke Range.

Just remember to practice your Brooklynese on the way to Tanglewood, you'll blend in with all the New Yorkers. The tweed jacket was nice touch.

As a child, my grandfather used to take us on Sunday Drives, all the back roads, Knox Trail, Mohawk Trail. During the summer, again, back roads to Albany, to meet with our cousins and head up to Lake George for a couple weeks.
    Fond memories.

Yeah, we're surrounded by Colleges, and College Towns. Of course the infamous "Zoo Mass" is like a Jerry Springer Show with alcohol.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I'll say this for UMass Amherst -- I hired a number of very good folks coming from there for my lab over the years. I think the trick is that any kid there who could actually figure out a strategy, plot a course through to their degree and stay reasonably on target was smart, shrewd, focused and dedicated. Everyone else is probably just adrift.

• westmassguy
    Options
    Adrift is a kind way of putting it. We'll now be seeing the weekly incident reports on the local news and in our local paper. They have cracked down quite a bit from a few years ago.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2016
    Options

ROTFLOL! Oh no Boston isn't much of a college town. We just have
    Boston College
    Boston University
    Northeastern
    Berklee School of Music
    Boston Conservatory
    New England Conservatory

Then if you want to cross over the Charles River we only have
    Harvard University and MIT.

But no we don't have too many colleges or college students who are all moving in this weekend.

No doubt someone will miss the signs saying that the truck they are driving will NOT fit under the bridges on Storrow Drive and take the top of the truck off! A newbie Duckboat tour driver and all of his passengers learned this the hard way this week!

And Jay Leno's AM, Emerson, etc. In my experience, a good mind can do WELL anywhere! And, often, the most humble are the most amazing or at least the most exemplary! They're not always seeking the spotlight or the last word! There are a few of us, around here, who could LEARN something from them! lol
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]