Traditionalist or Progressive; 2-channel or Surround processing?

Options
tat
tat Posts: 159
edited August 2016 in Vintage Speakers
I am generally firmly in the traditionalist camp. History shows time and time again "great advances" can turn out to be utter failures in short order. Sadly the "advancement" in performance often turns out to be exagerrated (even unintentionally) bc of other "assets" like reduced cost and increased profits skewing perceptions. Marketing is in love with "new and improved" bc the general public eats it up. "Innovation worship" is what I call it; newer inherently equals better, an (often unconscious) tendency, likely strengthened by a vague analogy to evolution, or the worship of health and youth in contemporary Western culture. In real life, things occassionally evolve right into extinction, while the more "primitive" incarnations live on; evolution/innovation is not nec'y synonomous with improvement or progress at all. Thankfully innovations do occassionally live up to, and even surpass the expectations of their initial proponents. So.....I am hoping to instigate some discussion on 2-channel stereo vs. multi-channel set-ups (and specific programs).

I am wondering who prefers traditional 2-channel audio/stereo, and who prefers various incarnations of digital surround sound processing. What are the pros and cons of each? Further, I am wondering which specific digital processing is preferred for specific sources (movies, concerts, sports, studio albums, mono recordings (esp. jazz), rock, classical, opera, should I add video games? lol Where will having more than 2 channels be likely to really improve my experience?

I just bought a Yamaha RX-V2400 for my father and am wondering if it is worth my time to feed the beast...7.1 channels. I have little experience with multi-channel home systems, and it will be significant work to get it going right (equipt.; placement; wiring; logistics; etc.). I know the technology can be quite impressive in the right venue. Perhaps 4 or 5 channels is just as good in a smallish 15' x 20' room? So I wouldn't need to buy additional speakers (except center channel I guess).

I am firmly in the traditionalist camp generally speaking. I prefer tubes to transistors, steel to fiberglass, film to video, hand-animation or even models/miniatures to green screen/digital manipulation, analog to digital, conversations to texting, you get the point. I'm only 40, so my preference isnt merely bc I was accustomed to the old way for years, and have a closed mind that refuses to give the new stuff a chance. Many of my preferences are for techniques given-up years before my birth.
I still find many digitally produced recordings truly unlistenable. Not nec'y bc of lower fidelity of digital vs analog, as much as the copy/pasted, fragmented quality to the end product. It has jagged edges and is incapable of smoothly swinging. Perhaps it is the miniscule variations in human timing/rythym/syncopation that rings true to my ear vs. the "perfect", yet souless, timing of digital manipulation.

I have found multi-channel reproduction of movies (vs. films) quite titilating, even mind-blowing. But I also tend to turn those types of movies off in the first 10 minutes bc I already have figured out what will happen in the remaining 1:30 by then (formula derived blockbusters), and special effects alone will not keep my attn! So is it worth someone like me's time to investigate all these bells and whistles in a mid-priced 120wpc Yamaha 7.1 reciever or should I stick to the tried and true, ooozing with soul and character, Golden Age technology? I did enjoy some of the Yamaha's bells and found them quite an improvement over past experiences with similar programs. For example, various theatre acoustics simulations for live albums, but its still a novelty for sure. Is "7-channel" stereo (for music) preferred to quality 2-channel by anybody? On "Dark Side of the Moon" perhaps?

Are you swimming against the current like me, floating with the current like a dead fish, or pushing the current forward, so to speak?
When freedom is outlawed, only outlaws are free...

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    I have both in the same setup. Music, on my setup, never touches an AVR. I do enjoy the surround sound, mostly for video games.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    I was obsessed with home theater for years, and I have a monstrosity of a home theater setup. I occasionally, and I mean very occasionally listen to music on it, and when I do, I prefer it with audyssey XT32 on. I run a 7.2 system, and honestly I find myself turning it up loud for movies less and less. Blu Ray concerts or DVD concerts are played in multi channel because it sounds so good that way, but my theater just doesn't do two channel playback as well as my 2 channel system.

I prefer my 2 channel system much more, it's simple, sounds better, no processing, some sweetness of tubes, and I love little tweaks to make it slightly better.

Home theater is easy, and you don't have to spend a lot to get it to sound good. 2 channel on the other hand is another story. But when you get it right it is so much more rewarding, but easy to get obsessed over, especially tubes, must have spent a grand till I found the right combo.

I'm open minded, young, and I love to try new things. I must have powered through every modern polk speaker in my theater with a half dozen receivers over the past ten years. Always chasing the newest bells and whistles. If I could go back in time I would have spent more time in the 2 channel realm, as I have only recently really got going with it. My 2 channel system sounds different every month, I've found myself swapping this and that, upgrading and seeking perfection with small tweaks. I LOVE it and love this hobby.

Not swimming against the current, I believe in cables, subs in 2 channel systems, the effect of isolation, clean power, and maybe even those rocks you place on top of your amps for vibration. And Recently I crafted cable risers out of oak and I swear my system sounds a little smoother.... I'm friggen losing it maaaan!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    one guess.

26104819002_af3852de68_b.jpg080 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    one guess.

26104819002_af3852de68_b.jpg080 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Wow! That's a whole lot of gear.

• mhardy6647
    Options
    ... yeah, but only the good stuff is routinely hooked up.
  • tat
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Are those Klipsch designed speakers?

Looks like there arent many serious listeners who prefer multiple channels to good quality 2 channel for performance anyway. I guess any advances have been at least equaled by 2-channel audio. I'm sure for specific programs good multiples can outperform though.
    I dont think movies is enough reason for me to make multiple system a priority, especially in a room/decor that isnt an easy transition. I watch mostly TCM where it wont help much lol.
  • CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,028
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Since I began using the repaired M10A's, I've discovered the value of my Yamaha AVR's Pure Direct mode for 2-channel. Now that's all I want to use for video or music. Earlier even with lesser Polks, such as the M4's with Peerless and RT55's, Pure Direct didn't seem to make much of a difference. So the M10A's are that much better, or my "Polk ears" are getting better, or some of both. B)
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    SDA's in a home theater lend well to both two channel and multichannel listening for movies and music o:)<3
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    Welcome to the rabbit ho...............I mean forum❕
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited September 2016
    Options
    "I am generally firmly in the traditionalist camp."
    I skipped the rest of your article. :|
    If God wanted us to listen to 5.1 he would have given
    us horse ears that call pivot.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    We all have our own preferences on how we enjoy music, nothing new there. Each has it's merits.

Many of us have been on that merry-go round of formats. 2 channel, quad, 5.1, HT and all that offers. We usually settle somewhere in the middle either with separate systems for HT and 2 channel, or one system to handle both.

Tell ya what though, from what I see, more people than not come full circle back to 2 channel for musical enjoyment.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    Options
    there is some beauty and simplicity in 2 Chanel stereo systems that I appreciate, I am a big fan of 70's rigs and I basically only listen CD and LP.
  • codycatalist
    Options
    2 Channel for music, processing for HT in my household. I rarely play music on my AVR for various reasons...mostly because my SDAs are connected to it =P.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • codycatalist
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    We all have our own preferences on how we enjoy music, nothing new there. Each has it's merits.

Many of us have been on that merry-go round of formats. 2 channel, quad, 5.1, HT and all that offers. We usually settle somewhere in the middle either with separate systems for HT and 2 channel, or one system to handle both.

Tell ya what though, from what I see, more people than not come full circle back to 2 channel for musical enjoyment.

There is NOTHING like true stereo reproduction...obviously in my opinion.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    I get a real kick out of my 9.2 system for hi rez multi channel recordings, in fact this system generally sounds better in multi channel than two channel. However I do more two channel listening on this system because I have way more two channel material.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    I have both and I love some of the multi-channel SACD's.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    I utilize all of my speakers for both music and movies, I like the fullness of the sound. I only have one system for both.

The only time I have 2.1 channels sound is if I'm listening to my TL3's playing music on my pc.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    I prefer 2 channel always, and HT or multi-channel music can not compare to the 2 channel sound as I think all AVR's are lacking in SQ.

yes Pink Floyd's SACD in 5.1 has a cool effect and several others but I'll still like the 2 channel sound better and with my CRS+'s I don't miss the multi-channel. but that is just me.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2016
    Options
    tat wrote: »
    Are those Klipsch designed speakers?

Heck no. I will admit that I started my (modern) foray into high-sensitivity loudspeakers and flea power amplification with a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls and a Decware SE-84B amplifier...

9592399107_d4c397963d_z.jpgdampedcornyhornies by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

... but those are Altec Duplexes.

9595247214_efe6ced09f_b.jpgDSC_5735 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

http://www.wardsweb.org/Billfort/

The 511B horns atop the speakers in the photo I posted earlier were a just-for-fun experiment. This is what they usually look like in action (ignore the Genesis Physics loudspeakers and the Yamaha soiled state amp!).

16450138639_ec8c09decb_b.jpgDSC_0240 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The amplifer is a slightly modified version of Joseph Esmilla's "Simple 2A3" design.
    http://jelabsarch.blogspot.com/2012/06/je-labs-simple-452a3.html

15751261434_ceabc5d603_b.jpgDSC_0124 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

• tat
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I get the impression that 2 channel is easier to focus on the strengths to some extent, at least with my eyes open in a fully conscious state. Natural sound usually eminates from individual points coming from one direction. So our auditory system has evolved and or developed since birth to process sound in that manner.

Bear Owsley of the GD family had an essay detailing how having reproduction from single vertical points is most natural to the human ear. Ours ears have a hard time when the same sound comes from multiple locations of different distances, the split second variations confuse our perception, whereas natural relections and echoes originating from a single point can better comprehended by our ears/brains. That theory was part of the legendary Wall of Sound behemoth. Unfortunately I am too young to have witnessed that wonder of the world.
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    I prefer 2 channel always, and HT or multi-channel music can not compare to the 2 channel sound as I think all AVR's are lacking in SQ.

yes Pink Floyd's SACD in 5.1 has a cool effect and several others but I'll still like the 2 channel sound better and with my CRS+'s I don't miss the multi-channel. but that is just me.

Dark side of the moon is kinda cute in 5.1
    However there is NOTHING like listening to it in regular old "stereo" on a pair of Polk SDA's right @voltz?
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Agree! on 5.1 was cool hearing the clocks going for 1 speaker to the next but isnt as good effect as the SDA did.

like when they asked people question and recorded it and added it to the songs like: Do you remember the last time you got into a fight and was you in the right?

and someone said "I don't know I was really drunk at the time"

on the SDA effect it was like he was sitting on my love-seat of to my left and that got a WOW moment from me B) & the guitar player behind my table lamp.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I like both my stereo, and my HT system. I recently went through a four month home remodel, and my stereo was in the garage. For that period I used my HT system and forgot how good it sounded. Towards the end, I was even considering selling the stereo, and just using the HT system. However, now that the stereo is again running I am back to it.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    There is a big complicated Denon HT receiver in its box in the basement. It was given to me by a friend and - someday - I'll play with it. I did go as far as to hook it up and listen to it as a two-channel amplifier.

• tat
    Options
    https://flic.kr/p/fBU9GN

Nice, I love those grey back alnico Altecs.
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    Two QUALITY speakers driven by two QUALITY channels of source and amplification, will absolutely kill 6, 8, or 11+ sh!tty, restricted-range speakers driven by sh!tty sources and sh!tty amplification.

A QUALITY multi-channel source-and-amplification system feeding multiple speakers WITH PROPER ROOM TREATMENT AND SET-UP is another story,
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Two channel for music.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I think it was stereophile that quoted a study that finds we listen to music in multi-channel. What were those Polk and Carver guys up to anyway?

I just got done listening to ELP 'Brain Salad Surgery' in 11.1 thru a Denon AVR-4520ci
    to a mix of Polk lSim's and 1969 Altecs with a Hsu sub and it sounded good to me.

I listening to a CD thru the Denon pure direct stereo and it sounds good as well.
    There is a pretty good DAC in the Denon I find.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited September 2016
    Options
    If you have good gear, and not the bottom of the barrel gear hooked up to good speakers like Polks, it is very easy to enjoy both two channel and multi channel on one system. Actually the majority aren't even thinking two channel vs multi channel, they are simply thinking of watching movies, tv, and maybe listening to music.

It is only the audiophiles that have all these nonsense rules, barriers, and classifications. Just so that they can claim that something is superior.

The vast majority of consumers ignore all the snobby BS, and are simply looking for good affordable gear so that they can enjoy their movies and maybe some music if they happen to think to play it on a system as opposed to their phones.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    If you have good gear, and not the bottom of the barrel gear hooked up to good speakers like Polks, it is very easy to enjoy both two channel and multi channel on one system. Actually the majority aren't even thinking two channel vs multi channel, they are simply thinking of watching movies, tv, and maybe listening to music.

It is only the audiophiles that have all these nonsense rules, barriers, and classifications. Just so that they can claim that something is superior.

The vast majority of consumers ignore all the snobby BS, and are simply looking for good affordable gear so that they can enjoy their movies and maybe some music if they happen to think to play it on a system as opposed to their phones.

Yeah
    What she said^^^