Main system update

Options
It has been over a year since I posted about my main system. So here is a pic as it is today.

main2ch.jpg

Comments

• Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 903
    Options
    Top shelf - Maplenoll clone turntable, Shanling CD-T1500 SACD, Clearaudio Champion II turntable

2nd shelf - Samsung 2T hard drive, Auralic Aires Mini DAC/music server, Sonic Euphoria passive preamp, Lounge Audio phono preamp

3rd shelf - PS Audio Quintessence power center

Far right - Tascam BR-20 reel to reel

On the floor - Antique Sound Labs AQ1006 845 DT MKII mono blocks
    Speakers are DIY using Altec and JBL parts
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Options
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Beautiful set-up!
  • haimoc
    haimoc Posts: 1,031
    Options
    Fabulous and beautiful system.
  • breal74
    breal74 Posts: 324
    Options
    Beautiful job on your speakers! What wood did you use and are they your own design?

I also love how clean your set up is. Excellent job sir and happy listening!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Luther system sounds awesome. The 2 pieces he's added since my last visit is the Auralic and the clone TT.

Thanks for chiming in, we missed you this year at LSAF

Cheers--
    Ron
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Wardsweb
    Options
    breal74 wrote: »
    Beautiful job on your speakers! What wood did you use and are they your own design?

The design is from a guy on another forum. They are made with Baltic birch and MDF. They are veneered with sapele pomelle.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Wardsweb wrote: »

The design is from a guy on another forum. They are made with Baltic birch and MDF. They are veneered with sapele pomelle.

You lie. They were made with love. It's all over those speakers.

Did lightman swing by during construction? Jk, beautiful rig...
  • breal74
    Options

Would you mind sharing a link as I would like to check them out? You can PM me if you want.

Thanks
  • Wardsweb
    Options

Would you mind sharing a link as I would like to check them out? You can PM me if you want.

Thanks

Here is the run down. http://wardsweb.org/audio/Widgets/
  • breal74
    Options
    WOW! You are very talented. Excellent work and I am sure they sound better than they look. Thanks for sharing!
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    Beautiful. What cartridge(s)?
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • Wardsweb
    Options
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    Beautiful. What cartridge(s)?

The Clearaudio has a Benz Micro Glider and the Mapenoll has a Sumiko Blue Point Special EVO III
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    Nice. That's GOTTA sound great. Well done.
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    it's a beautiful thing
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    That is flat out gorgeous. I love how clean the set up is overall. I have a rats nest of wires behind my set up. lol. Absolutely beautiful @Wardsweb - Thank you for sharing :smile:
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Wardsweb
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    You forgot the details on the stand. Own up brotha!

It is made from 1-1/2" Baltic birch and stained in black cherry with a semi-gloss spray polyurethane finish. The two long shelves are bolted together with all thread inside PVC pipe, I painted black. Those are then bolted to the bottom section.
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    Options
    Very Nice Rig, Luther! Amps doing fine? Hope they are playing good music for you.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • tat
    tat Posts: 159
    Options
    I am curious what drivers you have in the speakers. I am in love with old JBL and Altec speakers made before i was born for production vs. reproduction. I am in the process of thinning the herd right now but very reluctantly lol. I always wanted to build boxes for my D123's or similar.
    When freedom is outlawed, only outlaws are free...
  • Wardsweb
    Options
    megasat16 wrote: »
    Very Nice Rig, Luther! Amps doing fine? Hope they are playing good music for you.

The amps are awesome. The speakers are around 100dB efficient so I had to go with a passive pre to have some usable volume control. The McIntosh had too much gain, so 6:00 on the dial was nothing and 9:00 was way to loud. Now with the Sonic Euphoria, I'm back to having control.
  • Wardsweb
    Options
    tat wrote: »
    I am curious what drivers you have in the speakers. I am in love with old JBL and Altec speakers made before i was born for production vs. reproduction. I am in the process of thinning the herd right now but very reluctantly lol. I always wanted to build boxes for my D123's or similar.

Altec 802-8G driver mounted to an Altec 511B horn
    JBL 2235H woofers and the JBL 077 tweeters

DIYhorns2.jpg
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    I just LOVE how those speakers look Luther! I have looked at your build thread many a time.

GREAT WAF and sound in a albeit LARGE form factor lol...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Stunning enclosures
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Fantastic job Luther, and frickin' beautiful to boot. Got all the bases covered too, vinyl, sacd, digital, R2R.....an audiophiles wet dream.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    When Luther drops a good jazz and/or vocal record/RTR tape on the system it really sucks you in. Makes you want to pour yourself a good glass a wine and just sit back, relax, and enjoy the music.

And yes Luther is a talented audio dude and great host to boot
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options

DIYhorns2.jpg
    The enclosures are simply stunning.

Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Superlatives can't touch this! Thanks for sharing, Luther.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    Looks fantastic!!! Nice setup.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Those JBL 2235h LF drivers are excellent. Several years ago, I happened upon a pair in DIY enclosures which I currently have driven by a separate Carver M500t with Dennis Miller Mk. II upgrades. Shortly before he died, Gary Dodd did a one-off separate channel active crossover in my Dodd preamp for the very low frequencies. Hopefully, I have attached a photo from an old thread. The enclosures are rather large but they integrate pretty seamlessly with my rig to provide some sweet low end.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021930/uploads/editor/kt/y48bbksz21hr.jpg