I took my daughter to college today!

Rory's going to Yale!

Not exactly but I took my youngest daughter to college today, she is the class of 2020. My wife has major anxiety as her baby is gone :'( Anybody else out there have a son or daughter starting college this Fall?
jfq753n9duqr.jpg
cgfq2s9e9dpb.jpg

Carl

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,787
    edited August 2016
    Jeebus! She was a wee tyke last time I saw you.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,232
    edited August 2016
    Got mine back back last year
    It's a happy/sad/proud moment
    Yale bro...congrats to her, you and mom dude...quite the accomplishment
    This is where you will finally appreciate the modern technology email, text, and cell phone

very awesomeness ...(can't believe that awesomeness wasn't flagged as misspelled)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    My 1st daughter leaves in 2032.....I'm counting the days :p
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    B) Congrats! I've watched a new class come to college every year for 30.
    Never gets old, even tho I might be. :#
  • polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171
    Congrats Guys it's a major accomplishment for our kids and us as parents to get to this moment in life...

I'm heading down to Vancouver tomorrow morning pulling the trailer we are making a bit of a holiday out of the trip as it's 1200 km drive. The daughter is going to UBC this year, last year she when to Emilty Carr (Arts University) but decided she didn't want to be a graphic artist even though it is a passion of hers but she realized that it real tough to make a living at it.
    She have decided she wants to be a Lawyer which was what she wanted to do originally but felt she should give the graphic arts a try first.
    As a parent I'm relived as I didn't like the arts idea but if you try and push them into what you want well you know where that gets you......

Cheers
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    We took our youngest son to his freshman year at Washington State the other week.

And our oldest went back to Humboldt State for his junior year.

It was kinda sad saying goodbye that last day with our youngest - and I can tell he's a bit homesick already when he calls, but he'll adjust.

Proud/sad/anxious/excited/concerned - they can all flood thru you at the same time when the 'babies' leave the nest.

Me and the wife are adjusting to being 'empty nesters'.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,315
    Carl, congrats to you and your wife for raising such a bright young lady. I can tell Yale will be a better place because of her enrollment.

I feel for you and your wife though, it wasn't but a few short years ago that we helped move our son (our youngest) into the dorm.

My wife and I both broke down and cried as we left, it's a bitter/sweet time for parents. Our son will be graduating next May with his BS, he plans to move on to a Masters for the next couple of years.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,983
    Man I can't even imagine. My son just lost his first two bottom teeth in one week (last week) and my daughter is not finally dry all night (major big time YESSSSSS). I'm still far away from driving them off to University or College but I know its a big step and adjustment, I think more so for the parents. Congrats on this step, next is graduation, marriage and grand kids...
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Congrats Carl! Lovely young lady and I know you are going to be missing her as much as your wife will.

Five more years until we're empty nesters.

I wish your daughter all the best. How exciting!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,593
    edited August 2016
    Cool enough. Congratulations! Big milestone for her & for you.

What's she going to study there (has she decided yet)?

Ours are both long past UG -- our son finished his PhD in the spring and just this week started his first academic job, in Farmville, VA.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited August 2016
    Congrats! Ours started University last year. I'll be doing the Trek again next Friday. Best of luck!

Also to Mr. H, I'm happy your son found academic work so fast. It's a vicious market, at the moment, with very very few jobs and thousands of applicants in almost "any" field. I've been on search committees and it's not unusual to get 200-300 applications for one job with dozens from TOP 10 schools like U Chicago, Stanford, Princeton, MIT, Harvard, etc. All accomplished, many with teaching experience, some with books already in Press. Hope your son has a great time, that first year is the toughest.
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Congrats Carl, you have a beautiful daughter.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,457
    Congrats to you and Maureen! Shannon is a beauty! No offense my good friend, you are a handsome guy, but good thing she has mom's looks! lol
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,946
    Cool Carl, congrats to you and the young lady. Though mine are long out of college, it's like throwing a boomerang, they always come back. Though not as they left, admittedly. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,733
    Congrats. Mine is starting her junior year at CWU in a few weeks. Made deans list every semester her first 2 years. Proud papa...
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    Congrats Carl and family!
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,576
    Congrats to her Carl. We took our son to college in 2007 & wife was teary eyed all the way home lol. Hope her the best
  • Congrats to her...always good to see there is still some smart and ambitious young people in this country.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Congrats Carl & to your Daughter.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited August 2016
    anonymouse wrote: »
    Yale! A very proud moment. Congratulations to you and her. What is she planning to major in?

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments and best wishes!!

I should have used quotation marks in the first sentence of my initial post: "Rory goes to Yale" was done tongue and cheek as reference to the TV series "Gilmore Girls". This "chick" TV series was about the many dramas in the relationship between a mother and daughter. My wife and daughter watched this show for years. I called them my Gilmore Girls. In the series the daughter "Rory" goes to Yale. The past few months have been real life drama between my wife and daughter as she was shopping, planning and packing to go off to college.

Shannon is my third child, but my only child with my second wife or is struggling with the "empty nest" syndrome. I have two older children who have gone to college and graduated. Shannon has adapted to the change (so far LOL!).

My daughter Shannon is going to Grove City College. A small, 150 year old Christian college in rural Pennsylvania. Grove City College is a very competitive school but not in the same class as Yale or any Ivy league school.

Shannon's area of interest is Communications. She writes and speaks very well. She is also contemplating a minor in Religious Studies. This is an area that Shannon has a passionate interest. (I tried but I could not interest her in studying chemical engineering like her father, I wonder why? LOL!)

Thanks again for all the wonderful remarks and interest!!!

Carl

• simm
    simm Posts: 564
    Took my youngest daughter to UNC-Wilmington a couple of weeks ago. She is sharing an apartment with her older sister so now my wife has a "beach" place to go to when she wants. First time in 30 years my wife and I have been home alone, it's taking some getting used to.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Congratulations Carl! That's great news!

I'm on my last year as an undergrad. Have to start applying to grad schools and some fellowship programs.

All the best to you and your family in the times ahead!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Congrats Carl (& Shannon!) Grove City is our neck of the woods (well sort of). My wife's originally from Mercer (about 10 minutes from Grove City). Great school and beautiful rural PA.

You must be very proud. I'm dreading the day my girls go off to college, and time ain't slowing down! Plus, I like them more than my wife! :o
  • scubalab wrote: »
    I'm dreading the day my girls go off to college, and time ain't slowing down! Plus, I like them more than my wife! :o

you-didnt.jpg

:D

• gurot1
    gurot1 Posts: 519
    Lol
    lsim705,lsim706c,lsif/x(4)+mc80(atmos)
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • gurot1
    gurot1 Posts: 519
    Congrats! I am trying to not even think about the kids moving off to uni....eldest is seven. I know it will be here in a blink of an eye though.
    lsim705,lsim706c,lsif/x(4)+mc80(atmos)
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    halo wrote: »
    Congratulations Carl! That's great news!

All the best to you and your family in the times ahead!

Hey Victor! Long time! Thanks for the kind thoughts and words. Good luck in your studies!
    scubalab wrote: »
    Congrats Carl (& Shannon!) Grove City is our neck of the woods (well sort of). My wife's originally from Mercer (about 10 minutes from Grove City). Great school and beautiful rural PA.

You must be very proud. I'm dreading the day my girls go off to college, and time ain't slowing down! Plus, I like them more than my wife! :o

Thank you! I am very familiar with Mercer. When I was a kid it was a popular pit stop on our way to Erie. That was before I-79 was built!! Damn! I am old.

Carl

• dee1949
    dee1949 Posts: 1,425
    What ever YOU do ---- DO Not, that is what some people are saying, Watch "Greeks" tv series.

linked below:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0976014/

.... oh ! to be young again !!!