Chromecast Audio

Just curious if anybody is using one? For some time I've been using different but similar device to stream FLAC from my NAS to a secondary system.

Veetop Wi-Fi Streamer

The built in DAC is supposedly Wolfson & while not world class isn't terrible. I'm running the analog out straight into an Adcom 555. Control is done via BubbleUPnP app running on an Android tablet. Overall for a secondary system the performance has been acceptable, with one exception. Hiccups & dropouts happen more often than I'd like, plus the thing hates my wife as it seems every time she goes to use it,it needs a re-boot.

In comes the Chromecast Audio. I'm picking one up on the way home from work today. Same concept, but also allows me to cast Pandora, Spotify, Tidal, etc in addition to FLAC from my NAS. The DAC seems to be well liked and I haven't read of any significant dropout issues. I'll report back.

Comments

• Can't wait to hear your impressions of it.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • I have been using the same wifi streamer you have, with mostly success, but I was unaware of this chromecast audio device. It has an optical out too..pretty sweet. I want one.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • It seems it may not stream local files, only those from music services. :'(
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Depends what app you use. BubbleUPnp has Chromecast support built into it, so you can stream local files. For online services, the Chromecast app takes over, I think.
  • Well I'm heading over to bb to grab one of these audio dongles, for the price it's worth a try...I think.
  • DaveHo
    edited February 2016
    I've got limited hours on mine. So far I'm impressed. Hi-Res HD Tracks sounds downright amazing using the Chromecast's DAC. Much better than the previous device I was using. Plus, I've had zero dropouts thus far. It's a winner in my book.
  • Best Buy give me a free $10 gift card after I purchased mine. I am going to purchase the digital audio adapter from bestbuy.com with it so I can use my Musical Fidelity DAC.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/audioquest-toslink-to-3-5mm-mini-optical-adapter-black/6225006.p?id=1219202967009&skuId=6225006

Just got it hooked up. What app are you using to stream hi-res?
  • thanks
  • Fyi, if you are using the chromcast audios dac, you should go into the devices setting and set the dynamic range to full. By default it is limited, but applies only to the analog output. Otherwise mine is working great with no issues. I'm waiting on the optical adapter, however, I was able to make a traditional toslink work for now. BubbleUpNp works great with Jriver, and the chromecast is playing 24' 96" with no issues. I also like that it works with my 5g WiFi...bonus :)
  • DaveHo
    Yep, already have it set high dynamic range.
  • DaveHo wrote: »
    I've got limited hours on mine. So far I'm impressed. Hi-Res HD Tracks sounds downright amazing using the Chromecast's DAC. Much better than the previous device I was using. Plus, I've had zero dropouts thus far. It's a winner in my book.

After listening for a week or so, I have to agree, whatever dac is being used does a great job. I actually prefer using its analog out over the digital, to the marantz pre.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Hey @DaveHo how do you control the music? I donwloaded bubbleupnp on the home computer and set it up to pull files from my music server, but now how do I tell the chromecast to play the music? Is there an iOS app? I don't have any android devices except my daughter's crappy kids fire tablet...

Thanks!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • DaveHo
    I only have Android devices & have bubbleupnp installed on those to control playback. I don't have anything installed on my computer. Google cast is available for iOS devices, but at least on Android all that gives you is the ability to cast others apps to the chromecast.

You installed Bubbleupnp server on your computer? Here's a discussion on interfacing Bubbleupnp server with iOS devices. Not sure if there are other options.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/looking-best-universal-plug-dplay-ipad-similar-bubble-universal-plug-dplay-android-25543/
  • rooftop59
    Yes on the computer. Looks like I just need to into the bubbleupnp software and create an open home renderer. I'll give it a shot tonight. Thanks dave!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    This looks pretty cool. And you can sync multiple units it looks like, for multi-room/system playback. Interesting. I've pretty much standardized on Squeezebox/piCorePlayer at this point, but if I were looking for a new streamer from scratch, I'd have a closer look at this Chromecast Audio.

Tons of apps, too! Looks like it supports everything I use and much more - Spotify, Pandora, DI.fm, Tune-In, etc.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Was talking about the chrome audio in the tidal thread. It sounds surprisingly good for the money and works perfectly. Use it with an android tablet, and a128gb micro sd stored with music. I like it better than wired USB. I haven't done an a/b comparison for sound quality yet.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Here is a good reference article for using Google(Chrome)Cast Audio with JRiver, IOS, bubbleupnp, etc.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/685-streaming-around-globe-or-around-home-jriver-media-center/
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Pretty good informative link there, thanks for posting that.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rooftop59
    SO I just re-downloaded plex, because its a much simpler solution for me since I've had it before. The problem is no tidal. Then I found this: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/07/not-as-the-artist-intended-google-chromecast-audio-w-tidal/

Pulled up the tidal app on my iPhone, pushed the airplay button and VIOLA! chromecast comes up as an option. AWESOME!

My mini toslink cable comes today...I'm stoked!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • mikeyb128
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    SO I just re-downloaded plex, because its a much simpler solution for me since I've had it before. The problem is no tidal. Then I found this: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/07/not-as-the-artist-intended-google-chromecast-audio-w-tidal/

Pulled up the tidal app on my iPhone, pushed the airplay button and VIOLA! chromecast comes up as an option. AWESOME!

My mini toslink cable comes today...I'm stoked!

Chrome cast audio for tidal was only just released in July. Works great!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• I tried Tidal for two weeks, through the chromecast audio...the sound quality wasn't any better than spotify. Going back to Jriver through chrome cast audio all is amazing again.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Jriver with local highres?
    I disabled signatures.
  • rooftop59
    I tried Tidal for two weeks, through the chromecast audio...the sound quality wasn't any better than spotify. Going back to Jriver through chrome cast audio all is amazing again.

It won't be if you don't do tidal hifi, which is lossless. If hifi didn't sound better than spotify, then I don't know what to tell you. On the one hand, it saves you a lot of coin. No need for cds, just stream, and no need for revealing gear either...on the other hand, I agree that when I am cleaning, dancing with the kids, cooking, etc., it don't really hear a difference either, only when I really sit down to listen...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Yes, local. Mostly just lossless flac files ripped from my CD library. I gave Tidal Hi-fi a try round about when I received the 705s, thinking I would enjoy the larger catalog of lossless music, well streaming both through the optical out of the chrome cast audio into the musical fidelity dac, and Emotiva pre-amp, doesn't even sound close to the same quality. The Jriver app serving the music is stunning, whereas Tidal is flat with absolutely no detail on top. It may be something to do with the chrome cast implementation of the service, but in any case it was not worth the money...sounds just like spotify.
  • mikeyb128
    I think Spotify only does max 320? Don't forget to turn dynamic range to the ON position in your chromecast settings, otherwise you won't get the full potential of tidal. I Demoed Apple Music, Spotify, and google play. Tidal is superior in every way in my system.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• rooftop59
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    I think Spotify only does max 320? Don't forget to turn dynamic range to the ON position in your chromecast settings, otherwise you won't get the full potential of tidal. I Demoed Apple Music, Spotify, and google play. Tidal is superior in every way in my system.

Well the only problem is that if you are running optical out of the Chromecast it automatically does full dynamic range, and I think that's how Jeremy was running it.

Jeremy I don't doubt your ears man, which makes me think that something must be amiss in the setup or implementation of tidal on your system.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • mikeyb128
    I use optical on mine and it did not automatically switch to high dynamic range. I had to switch it on, as I was under whelmed by my chromecast audio with tidal, I then read a YouTube review on it that informed me that you have to switch it on. Just a suggestion and is something worth checking out.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mikeyb128
    edited August 2016
    Just found this thought it was interesting.
    When Chromecast Audio is connected through an optical interface (see here for compatible cables), it will always use Full Dynamic Range. Setting Full Dynamic Range to OFF won't have an effect as it will remain ON.

I was positive I heard a difference in sound when I switched it on. Guess I had too many beers that night. Lol
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Hey beers or any spirit beverage are one of the best ways to improve your system.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a