GoodWill not so good anymore

I had very few bucks in my pocket ,some gas and I paid a visit to my 2 GW stores that are around me. The store in Aberdeen RT 35nt is absolutely devoid of anything resembling anything that is electronic. This included cable boxes, vhs, portable cdp and the like just nothing adding to that was that the LP shelf was just about a gone as all the electronics. I then go to my other GW store in East Brunswick on RT 18s. Here at least they had all kinds of gear that would interest no of you guys but the redeaming factor here was that some one had just dropped off a milk crate full of classic rock LPs. Most had scratches and were way over priced so I picked up 2 Traffic albumscjqvvlb4924.jpg
kkwo8deiiaqo.jpg
s John Barleycorn Must Die and Dave Mason Head Keeper.Both LPs were $2.99 I think a bit steep but are in pristine playing condition as for the covers not so much.
2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    pristine or not, I don't think I'd sleep with them.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    My Goodwill's are stocked usually. Found an H/K AVR130 for $25, i'm very picky with what I do and do not buy from there. It seems like if I stay away for a little then go I find something good. I feel like the second hand audio Gods are trying to suck me in.

When I go I only look for center speakers, subs and components. Wouldn't pass up a good deal though!
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • D'prived
    D'prived Posts: 191
    ^^^ I wouldn't put them in my bed... you don't know where those albums have been!
  • [Deleted User]
    Well,
    at least laserdiscs used elephant condoms. :|
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    I don't know what you dudes are getting at but even the squirrels in the park are goofing on me. That's pretty bad.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    cs75s4vh527w.jpg
    Thems some rough squirrels, Lew!
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Is that Jesus playing a guitar?
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    That's not the first time I've seen the corners of an outer record sleeve cut like that, the copy of Peggy Lee's Greatest Hits I bought on eBay has one cut too. What's the deal with that?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited August 2016
    Cut outs, discontinued albums sold off at a lower price at a record store etc.
    That is how they identify them, the corner is cut or a small round hole punched or a small notch.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut-out_(recording_industry)

I worked at a NRM (national record mart) and they came in by the box full and were put into bins labeled oddly enough "Cut outs".
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    D'prived wrote: »
    ^^^ I wouldn't put them in my bed... you don't know where those albums have been!

I think I just threw up in my mouth thinking about that!
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    K M is spot on about the cut outs. Back in the 70's Record Town in the mall used to have a full display full of them. :)
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Half Price Books opened a store in Decatur, Ga. small but good selection of vinyl .
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • [Deleted User]
    Truth be told it was a precursor to the CD green magic marker trick.
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Good Will? Their CEO gets his produce free, pays minimum wage, and rakes in the money, maybe people are catching on ....
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    warren wrote: »
    Good Will? Their CEO gets his produce free, pays minimum wage, and rakes in the money, maybe people are catching on ....

Agreed. I've found other recipients of my donations.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Once I found out many years ago that I was funding someones national flea market, I too quit funding them. There are plenty of shelters,churches, etc to take items.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    ^^^Yes
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • warren wrote: »

0qcdkpj9v6vg.jpg
  • ^^^^ this info was probably wrong in 2005.
    I don't care what people do with their money for the record.