RM-6810 - 6.1 System + PSW250--- sub was dying and is now dead...

Options
JustinGoodie
JustinGoodie Posts: 18
edited October 2004 in Troubleshooting
Like the subj. says... I got my RM-6810 6.1 setup about 6 months ago and everything sounded great running off my Denon AVR 982, except for the sub... the problems started with the sub just randomly "rumbling" (it sounded kinda like quiet thunder). just about a week ago the sub just stopped working. the light on the back will turn green as if it were powered on, but there is no sound regardless the position of the two adjustment knobs. I've checked all the connections to the sub and everything is good. i'm pretty sure there's either loose wires inside the sub, or the amp inside is toast. what do I do now?
Post edited by JustinGoodie on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Hello,
    Thanks for posting on the Forum. Here's a fool proof way to test to see if the sub-woofer is the cause:
    1). turn the volume all of the way down on the sub-woofer and remove all of the connecting cables/wires except the AC power cord.
    2). find the right and left RCA cables that go from your DVD player to the receiver and remove them at the back of the receiver.
    3). bring the DVD player over to the sub-woofer and provide AC power for the DVD player, then connect the right and left RCA cables from the DVD player to the corresponding right and left inputs on the sub-woofer.
    4). begin playing any CD (not a DVD, but a CD) and turn the volume up slightly on the sub-woofer. There should be plenty of clean sounding bass with no bad noises. Let the CD play completely through and try stopping and starting the player.
    Let me know the results.
    Regards, Ken, Polk
  • JustinGoodie
    JustinGoodie Posts: 18
    edited October 2004
    Options
    well, before i start moving a bunch of stuff around... how's this??

I'm running two subs off my Denon receiver(2 pre-outs) and the other sub, an Acoustic Research 12", is working fine, and has been for years(it's the sub I had before I bought the Polks).
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Hello,
    The initial description, you gave, is very symptomatic of a connecting cable related program. Having a rumbling sound and sporadic output can be quite frequently caused by a poor cable connection. This is exactly why I recommend trying the DVD direct connection testing method, it eliminates any possibility of an external cause. You can use any high level source, a VCR, a cassette deck even an 8 track will provide enough signal to drive the sub-woofer, anything other than a turntable.
    Regards, Ken
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Try and swap the cables from your AR sub (the working one) to your other sub (the non-working one) and vice versa. See if the problem stays with your broken sub or moves with the cable swap.
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)