Top 10 Female singers, why not right?

Comments

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    Wasn't Nancy Sinatra's range about four notes -- not octaves -- notes?
    She was good enough with her very successful Bond theme song. Close your eyes and listen. There's many more than four notes, don't you agree?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs8uYxTJ530

I also love this Bond theme song by Adele, another marvelous singer.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-gLRp5bSpw

For many years, Bond movies have provided the showcase for very talented female singers. A list of top female singers from the Bond theme song list would make a pretty good list, no?

@xcapri79,

I would agree that "You Only Live Twice" and "These Boots Are Made for Walking" are likely Nancy Sinatra's two best recordings.

Perhaps, when I asked whether her vocal range was "about four notes," I was implicitly understating the facts. I confess that I was basing my comment on a long past memory of a critique I read years -- nay, decades -- ago.

With that said, however, two things are true about her voice:

1) It has a limited range, as has been pointed out time and time again in critiques of her albums. I should, and henceforth shall, leave it to experts to specify exactly what her vocal range was.

2) Nancy Sinatra herself betrayed concerns about extending her vocal range -- e.g., by using very specific microphones and analogue recording equipment and breathing techniques, such as what she calls "The Principle."

IMHO, Nancy Sinatra did a good job of making the most of what nature gave her, but that effort was not enough to lift her into the top 10 female vocalists of any century. And, a good bit of her success was derived from effective self-promotion, aided by, shall I say, her patrimony.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• jb5200
    jb5200 Posts: 10
    Amy Lee from Evanescence, voice is super intoxicating check out Lithium!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    And we must not forget those taken way to young....Miss Eva Cassidy
    https://youtu.be/ccmXWBluxIc

https://youtu.be/bTNLYeaL7No
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Did I say Sarah Vaughn? I was listening to her today ooh and she's good!
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    And we must not forget those taken way to young....Miss Eva Cassidy
    https://youtu.be/ccmXWBluxIc

https://youtu.be/bTNLYeaL7No

Yes, Eva Cassidy had a beautiful, clean voice , never___ had to use any form of auto correct on her vocal tracks compared to so many of todays so called singers. Sad she left us so early. Thanks for posting some of her songs txcoastal1.
  • Polkie2009
    One of my all time favorite singers was Jo Stafford who had a singing career that probably spanned almost 40 years. She had basically a pitch perfect voice, smooth as butter. Sang with some of the biggest music stars of all time.
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    Polkie2009 wrote: »
    One of my all time favorite singers was Jo Stafford who had a singing career that probably spanned almost 40 years. She had basically a pitch perfect voice, smooth as butter. Sang with some of the biggest music stars of all time.
    I never heard of her but checked her out, WHAT A VOICE!

• Polkie2009
    edited November 2015
    During WW2 she was nicknamed G.I. Jo, she was truly America's version of Britain's Forces Sweetheart , Vera Lynn. Vera Lynn, now referred as Dame Vera Lynn , had a fantastic voice also. She was loved all__ over the world back then , and was inspirational to all in those darkest of hours.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited November 2015
    The most haunting, chilling and beautiful voice ever...Lisa Gerrard. From her days with Dead Can Dance to her work on movie soundtracks.

[url="http://"]https://youtu.be/JGmvXGBBfjs[/url]
    No excuses!
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    @xcapri79,

I like that -- gaga over Lady Gaga!

Sure beats Nancy Sinatra, at least IMHO.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I have not gone thru the entire thread, but Karen Carpenter is right near the top of my list... We lost her way too soon.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Polkie2009
    The Carpenters were such a class act, I remember buying the DBX encoded LP "Close To You" back in the late 70's or early 80's. Great voice, so sad she left us so soon...
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited November 2015
    Karen Carpenter
    Sara McLachlan
    Donna Summer
    Sara Evans
    Anita Baker
    Sade
    Ann Wilson
    Mariah Carey
    Stevie Nicks
    Shania Twain

Honorable mentions: Pink; Amy Lee
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    I have not gone thru the entire thread, but Karen Carpenter is right near the top of my list... We lost her way too soon.
    Agreed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylh6mNdadG4

We blame food...
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    erniejade wrote: »
    n

Incredible!! Thanks erniejade..

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Agreed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylh6mNdadG4

X=IGNORED
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    October Project's 1st 2 cds were amazing. I love her voice. It is unique. I wish they would have kept her as a singer. October project is still around but this singer is not in it anymore. Bury My lovely was the song that turned me onto them so that is why I chose that song. I personally like the 1st cd better vs the 2nd but they are both good. The cd's after them have a different singer.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Polkie2009
    She's got a great voice Ernie, thanks for the video!
  • It took four pages but KC finally got some love. Just a beautiful tone to her voice.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited August 2016
  • Eva Cassidy, Vienna Tang, Norah Jones, Cassandra Wilson, Nina Simone, Shirley Horne, Sarah McLachlan, Sade, Loreena McKennitt, Katie Melua are some of my favorites.
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Ella Fitzgerald must be included on any list of top female singers. The tonal quality of her voice never changes no matter how high or low she goes. And her phrasing is impeccable.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,963
    Also a big fan of Eva Cassidy and in the singer/song writer category I really like the most recent works by Mary Chapin Carpenter.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    Nancy Sinatra may have been one cool chick but she is far from being one of the greatest female vocalists of all-time. Mediocre really but she had a few bright spots in her career. My all-time favorite Nancy Sinatra song is without a doubt the theme song to the James Bond film "You Only Live Twice". She did that title song better than probably anyone else could have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs8uYxTJ530

Petula Clark is a favorite of mine from the 60s. She was cool and had a one in a million voice to boot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws-dbq0CDtc

But my favorite female artist from the 60s is Dionne Warwick. She is second only to Aretha Franklin as the most-charted female vocalist of all time, with 69 of Warwick's singles making the Billboard Hot 100 between 1962 and 1998. She is the much elder cousin of Whitney Houston and when you listen to them side by side you can tell they are related.

The one thing Dionne had going for her that Whitney didn't was Dionne had the greatest song-writing team of all-time in Burt Bacharach and Hal Davis writing a lot of her hits for her. Bacharach discovered Dionne while she was working as a backup singer for the Drifters in 1962. A lot of the material was specifically-written for Dionne with her singing style in mind. She was a shy little girl when she first hit the scene but she had a voice that set her apart from the rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO073fekFfA
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Yes Dionne was quite a talent, sad to see her doing adds for the psycho fiends network.
  • I think my top ten list of female singers would look quite different, of course they would be ranked on other attributes.

On talent however, I really like Celine Dion.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Polkie2009
    edited August 2016
    It never fails to amaze me how many people of all ages I meet from all over the world who absolutely love Abba and their songs. This band's talent was genius in their songwriting , musicianship,harmonies,they touched hearts all over the world in different languages.It's no wonder they are the 3rd largest selling bands ever. Anni Frid and Agnetha both had beautiful voices on their own and excelled in their harmonies. Loved what Frida did with Phil Collin's song "You Know What I Mean".