SDA SRS 2 Amp

Options
2»

Comments

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    CH46E wrote: »
    Anyone have experience with Acurus amps?
    My primary amp is an Aragon 8008BB, however when I went to buy a pair of SRS 2 pin/blade from a guy near LA, I took along an Acurus 200x3. I also used the Acurus when I was playing with the crossovers on those speakers. My Aragons need a jumper wire to bypass 20 ohms of resistance between the channels on the ground side, but the Acurus was a true common-ground design.

I wouldn't choose the Acurus if there was an Aragon sitting next to it...but...there isn't anything "wrong" with the Acurus, and it's got zero problem driving typical Polk impedance.

The Acurus doesn't have a speaker protection relay like the Aragons do. This doesn not particularly upset me. Some folks put too much emphasis on protection devices, and aren't so thrilled with Acurus for that reason.
  • Rex81
    Rex81 Posts: 193
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Not sure about those speakers.... I have the Acurus 200/3 & its a very nice amplifier. Ive read they can be bright with some speakers. To me the Acurus seems to blends well with SDA's ive tried in what little time i have had it. I used it on 1c's & crs+'s with great results till i got the Parasound 2250 (got it here). I am eventually going to be using it back on crs's when i get the Parasound preamp for the 1c's after the xovers are complete

How does your Parasound 2250 compare to the Yaqin MS-30L? I was shopping for a 2250 when I decided to buy the MS-30L, which is what I'm driving my SRS 2 with now. I'm really pleased with the Yaqin, but have remained curious about the 2250.
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    FWIW, just got an email from Audio Advisor with a price drop of $195.00 on both the Parasound 2100 & the 2125 v2.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,453
    edited August 2016
    Options
    [/quote]

How does your Parasound 2250 compare to the Yaqin MS-30L? I was shopping for a 2250 when I decided to buy the MS-30L, which is what I'm driving my SRS 2 with now. I'm really pleased with the Yaqin, but have remained curious about the 2250. [/quote]
    Im sure you are Rex.. I have not tried the Parasound 2250 on the 1c's "YET". The Parasound is powering the crs+tl's very well using Pure Direct off the Yamaha. My plan is to move the Parasound & pick up a nice Parasound preamp later on. Baby steps with budget..... I will say this. The Yaqin matches excellent with the 1c's. Im using the stock 4 tubes & i changed out the 8 small tubes awhile back with some Mullards & i adjusted it to specs & im quite pleased with it. I may change out the 4 in due time
    I have listened to Parasound like Dskips & that is a beast. Surprised if it hasnt sold yet
    Post edited by boston1450 on
    Randy/Maine
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I've had good results with a Yamaha PC2002M.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,546
    Options
    Anyone have luck with the Emotiva XPA 2 gen 2 or 1?

I was looking at the specs for the Emotiva BASX 2 channel, but they don't seem to rate it for full bandwidth THD at 4 ohms. At 8 ohms they rate it 20 to 20k. But when they rate the THD at 4 ohms, it is 1% @ only 1kz instead of 20 to 20k.

I saw a Levinson inspired Proceed Amp 2. But it had two power transformers so I'm guessing it was not a common ground.

Would it be safe to say that if there are two power supplies in a 2 channel amp, it is dual mono and or not common ground?
  • CH46E
    Options
    At this point it looks like a used Parasound might be the way I go.
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    CH46E wrote: »
    I saw a Levinson inspired Proceed Amp 2. But it had two power transformers so I'm guessing it was not a common ground.

Would it be safe to say that if there are two power supplies in a 2 channel amp, it is dual mono and or not common ground?
    The + side of the circuit may have separate transformers and power-supply capacitors, but the - side is sometimes shared, even on designs labeled "dual mono".

My amp has two transformers and is advertised as "Dual Mono", but it's common ground except for a couple of resistors deliberately inserted into the - side. These resistors are easily bypassed with a simple jumper wire, making the amp fully "common ground".

The trick is to contact the manufacturer and ASK THEM; although you have to be careful--Adcom, for example considers some amplifiers in their product line to be "common ground" but they have resistors like my amp that must be bypassed with a jumper wire.

Some amps just cannot be made common-ground; any "bridged" or "balanced" amplifier, and any amp such as certain Carver units that have one channel inverted, for examples.
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    Options
    I have the Parasound 2125 V1 that is rated at 125w and have use it with my SDA 1C's and I am very happy with resuts. Now I dont drive them to high levels.

Also try them with an Adcom 585 and results were good also.

Cheers
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • CH46E
    Options
    I really hope the answer to these is yes.

Common ground?

Onkyo Integra M504 and M508?
    Denon POA 1500?

I know thanks to people here the Carver M500 is not. Bummer. But any of the Carver TFM amps should be right?

I've been looking for about an hour and can't find a answer.

I just purchased a lot of LED and controlable lighting for my Movie / Music room. And would really like the bigger VU meters right under my center channel. I would be retrofitting led lights into the amp that would change with the colors I select for the room.

Just like a turbo boost guage in my car I enjoy the visual que. So I am a fan of the VU meters.

I am very thankfull for the great responses I have received here.

It was a big step for me to 100% drop all my JBL (life long fan) for these Polks. The RTA 12b does not disappoint one bit. I'm amazed everytime i hear them. The SRS2 are great and I'm sure they will sound better once I get an amp and dial the room in a bit.

Between the sound quality and support I have received here, I'm very happy to be into the Vintage Polks.

Thank you all.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Denon POA1500 is common ground. I had one on a set of SDA1A. Very smooth sound sig.
  • CH46E
    Options
    Well.... I ended up ordering a Parasound 2250 v2 today. Should have it some time next week.

I like that I will be able to hook up both the srs and rta12b speakers and just switch when I feel like it from speakers a and b.

At 275 watts per @ 8 ohms I'm sure it's way more than I'll need. 400 watts @ 4 ohms.

• pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Congrats. I am sure you will love it. I have the earlier version 2250 for my 1C's. Its a very musical amp, and the extra power / current is noticed. While the previous 100+ watt Hafler and Krell could over power them without much difficulty, their is a better very deep end with the 2250 from moderate listening levels on up. #%$^#$&^@! rabbit hole.

I also have the P5 preamp which is also an improvement over the "Pure Direct" AVR options.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Not that it matters now but all Carver TFM amps except the TFM75 are common ground. IIRC
  • CH46E
    Options
    I really wanted another Carver but did not want to deal with a refresh or bulbs on the VU.

I'd like to have a preamp again but just don't have to room in my wall rack nor would it mess well with the home theater set up.

I'm pretty pleased with the Yamaha Avent age HTR I have. But I know it is not enough for the sda.

One thing I have noticed going from my JBL set up is that with the Polks my subwoofers are very seldom used. The room just sounds better without them on with the polks.
  • Cylontymany
    Options
    Alright I found some answers! I have the SDA2Bs I am tying to get a good amp for! How about some more examples-anybody except for F1nut I am trying to run away from...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    You can run, but you can't hide. I'm bad, I'm nationwide >:)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Cylontymany
    Options
    Damn it!!! I am going to order the Parasound 2250 V2 as well ha!
  • CH46E
    Options
    I have one in mint condition. Less than a year old I might be willing to sell your. Where are you located?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Let me suggest a Sunfire Signature series amp. I have used a few of them in the past and found them more than capable in driving and controlling the big SDA's. If I were to move away from my tube amps, I would give some serious consideration to getting another one.

There is a Sunfire TGA 5400 on audiogon I would grab in a nanosecond. It is listed for 1k, and for the buck, I wish you luck in doing better.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Cylontymany
    Options
    Finally settled on a Sunfire 300x2 was told this can drive a brick @600wpc into 400 ohms is way more than I will need!
  • CH46E
    Options
    Nice. Im sure it will serve you well. Do let us know how you like it