Onkyo vs Denon - specific thoughts/opinions

Ok I am down to two receiver choices but not sure which one to pick. It will be pairing with Polk Audio TL1600 speakers.

Onkyo TX-NR646 or Denon AVR-S710W...and go. Thanks.

Comments

• ROHfan
    ROHfan Posts: 1,014
    Neither of those AVRs has pre-outs which will be necessary down the road, but I prefer Denon's sound over Onkyo's any day of the week. The last Onkyo AVR I had only lasted about three weeks in my setup.
    TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
    Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
    Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
    Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
    Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
    AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier
  • Paradoxex
    Paradoxex Posts: 189
    I think he's just looking to power the Polk speakers in his post, which don't need external amplification to perform well.

Shane, folks on this forum are going to suggest a higher end AVR in case you want to upgrade your speakers in the future - a better AVR can accommodate things like allowing for you to add an amp or more functionality that you don't need now, but may want in the future.

Of the choices you laid out, I'd pick the Denon, which has a reputation for providing better functionality at lower price points. The Denon also offers Audyssey, which helps with improving the sound relative to your room. Onkyo recently started using a different system which is not yet proven.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    The new room calibration, accueq, doesn't calibrate the front mains. Deal killer in my opinion.
  • Yes all I will be doing is using these speakers and receiver to view movies and sports. I'm not an audiophile so expanding on what I already have down the road isnt going to happen. This is basically meant for a man cave setup to get setup and leave it so on Sundays and movie nights I can flick a switch and be ready to go and thats it. I dont need every bell and whistle, just something quality for a decent price and it seems like the Denon and Onkyo I referenced are compatible and quality for the speakers I have to put out some good sound for movies and tv.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    In that case, the Denon would be my preference also.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    I'd go with the Denon.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    I agree w the above on Onkyo....quality issues a plenty.
  • Denon versus Onkyo is like asking which is better. Ford or Chevy?
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Another Denon vote. I've put together some similar setups. Should be nice - enjoy!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    DSkip wrote: »
    Denon versus Onkyo is like asking which is better. Ford or Chevy?

Not at all. It's like Kia or Honda.

Denon all the way.

I don't think that's fair either, those are two reliable brands. Onkyo is more like Jeep/Fiat.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/10/top-10-most-reliable-and-least-reliable-cars.html

Like Skip, Denon all the way.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Pioneer is now part of Onkyo
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Pioneer
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Never had an onkyo personally. Vote goes for the Denon.
    Epson 3020 projector. Da Lite screen. Oppo 103. Yamaha CXA5000. B&K 7250ii. HSU VTF2. Def Tech Supercube 4000. Polk Rtia9 CsiA6 FxiA6. Monster hts 2600. Home theater.

Bedroom consist of NHT model 2 powered by Parasound hca1200ii coming from my computer.

Stuff laying around. Too much to list but don't want to sell either.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    I own a Onkyo and a Denon, I like them both the Onkyo I have is a powerhouse, all you guys with Onkyo issues should of made made sure they had proper ventelation as those WRAT amps get hot. I keep a usb fan on top of mine that sucks out the heat and blows it out the back never a problem and it stays cool to the touch. Heat kills electronics and is not kind to HDMI boards.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • I was leaning towards the Onkyo because its a 100w over the Denon which is 80, but I've found through my research this doesn't really make a difference with the speakers I have (that's how novice I am with this stuff). I think with my inexperience I won't be able to tell a difference in sound quality, operation, setup, etc so if Denon has had less issues and the chances of a headache are less with the Denon I should go with them, my flip flop reasoning is because the tech at Crutchfield recommended Onkyo over Denon but I am now thinking they may just make more money off of selling an Onkyo vs a Denon. I don't like that the Onkyo runs hot, of course a fan to cool it is an option but why take that extra step if the Denon is just as good if not slightly better.
  • So I have a connection to receive some BestBuy gift cards that will help me purchase a receiver and save some money doing so, the Denon AVR-S710W apparently isn't sold at BestBuy or at least I can't find it online, however I did find this Denon (link below) that is a little more expensive, expensive isn't always better though, can anyone maybe view the link and give me their opinion on this one and how it relates to my previous posts? Thanks again everyone for the input.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/denon-1155w-7-2-ch-4k-ultra-hd-and-3d-pass-through-a-v-home-theater-receiver-black/3510563.p?id=1219583812039&skuId=3510563&gclid=CI_inrONy84CFYlkhgod3rMF0Q
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    I also have 2 Denon AVR's serving light duty and I will say I like the Denon much more, mainly for their HT as the dynamics are much better than my older Onkyo, or other Onkyo's I've heard.

My first Denon I used in HT was most notable in the quiet passages of movies, just dead silent...even the fan slows down during these moments to further reduce any noise.

I would go with the Denon for sure.

• TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    The one linked to Best Buy should work well for your intended setup. Go for it.

I too have had both brands. The Denon was slightly more difficult to setup, but was noticeably better in the sound quality compared to the onkyo that I used.

2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• One more question, I am pulling the trigger tonight on the Denon AVR-S720W, I originally was going to get the S710W but actually found a better deal for the S720W even though its a more pricier unit its turning out to be less expensive for me cause of me having best buy giftcards along with a price match from them with amazon blah blah etc etc. My question is whats the difference between the S720W and the S710W? is the S710W just last years model or something?
  • andrew82
    andrew82 Posts: 144
    Shane, you are correct. The S710W is simply last year's model. The S720W has updated connections and the like.

http://hometheaterreview.com/denon-announces-two-new-s-series-av-receivers/
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Pioneer
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gudnoyez wrote: »
    I own a Onkyo and a Denon, I like them both the Onkyo I have is a powerhouse, all you guys with Onkyo issues should of made made sure they had proper ventelation as those WRAT amps get hot. I keep a usb fan on top of mine that sucks out the heat and blows it out the back never a problem and it stays cool to the touch. Heat kills electronics and is not kind to HDMI boards.

@gudnoyez
    The issues that Onkyo has been having has nothing to do with heat problems. It has to do with bad audio chips and HDMI boards. I had one or both of these problems with two different Onkyo preamps (*which sit out in the open because of their size. So ventilation is a non issue*) as well as my Integra stereo receiver. In addition two friends of mine whom own either Onkyo or Integra preamps or receivers have had the exact same issues. Fortunately Onkyo has a free fix which requires sending the unit to one of their contractors at no cost to the consumer. I wound up getting a brand new preamp from Onkyo out of all of this. I like both Denon and Onkyo,but my inherent preference is for Onkyo.
    I can fully understand the comments that I've read here because I have experienced them myself three times with three different Onkyo products.
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    edited August 2016
    Now THAT was a bit of a fluke