Pig Roast ? any thoughts suggestions

Options
2»

Comments

• oldmodman
    oldmodman Posts: 740
    Options
    Do your friend have a really big smoker?

That would be my choice as a cooker. I really really hate to stoop over at my age. A nice big smoker makes it a lot easier. Inject flavor and hit it with a nice rub. And plenty of mop. I was cooking a whole ham and I under estimated how much coal and wood I was going to go through. Had to run out and get some more at about the 15 hour mark. Turned out incredible though. Low temp and slow. Don't want to be accused of having dry meat.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Porky looks a bit thin to me. I think he knows your plan, and he's going to fvck you up in the end. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    @Tony, are you saying porky might go on a hunger strike......LOL.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • tonyb
    Options
    @Tony, are you saying porky might go on a hunger strike......LOL.

Exactly, hey man, pigs are smart....dirty but smart. Don't be surprised one day you go to check on him out in the woods and he's gone. Then you guys will be ordering pizza for 40 people. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The pig roast was a success, we only cooked half the pig about 85lb. We injected it a gallon of juice (Apple & Pineapple) mixed with spices and hot sauce.Used a sweet hot rub on the exposed meat.
    Wrapped it in banana leaves, parthment paper, and 30' of wet burlap.

We started the fire about 7 am and got the pig in the pit around 11:30, we certainly underestimate how long would take the fire to burn down and prepare the pig. We had knocked it down on Thursday and decided to take it to the butcher to split it in as we tried and failed as we didn't have the correct tools(namely a band saw) so 4.5 hours we got it on the pit.

Being everyone's first time we debated how long to cook it and settled on 7 hours and a hour to rest after it came out of the pit.

Well thankfully it turned out perfectly tender, juicy and with some homemade BBQ sauce man oh man what a feast.

4hkdzdd7pd9v.jpeg
    dmpj4ixqvhd7.jpeg
    vd1gpqyci3jf.jpeg
    fprdlxoaifat.jpeg
    jemqkdahjdlt.jpeg
    4sumnpbg6cym.jpeg
    uguyjsp2rgxi.jpeg
    n5ywoaspaeay.jpeg
    ph7b8t56karz.jpeg
    qj4oc9o82q71.jpeg
    0cyyd8ye9uho.jpeg
    z9g50q3cvq1b.jpeg
    6816w07ccvt5.jpeg
    58qhhivq7ma3.jpeg
    pvzmba554r7l.jpeg
    eplgmbaxf5ye.jpeg
    s0s9vwl464gi.jpeg
    2skn1wr91fe0.jpeg
    361yjs0j1c84.jpeg
    y89ognvom0t7.jpeg
    bg2e6fplbifs.jpeg
    q493793t93v8.jpeg
    myrbwrbe26fr.jpeg
    i0ir7fp3d9x7.jpeg
    3abfouloehqw.jpeg
    vhus0fet710y.jpeg
    z1owibuer6u0.jpeg
    axwggbfccqcv.jpeg
    pmuo6kjpf8hn.jpeg
    pz9v1zj0eyof.jpeg
    nd5fvjmwnw1f.jpeg
  • polk500
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Well I thought I had the pictures in order sorry about that and I just realized I don't have pictures of us pulling the pig from the pit. I will get some and post later..

Cheers
  • tonyb
    Options
    Cool man, was going to say....why are those hot rocks on top of the ground ? In any event, success.

Did Porky have any idea the hammer was coming ? lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • polk500
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Cool man, was going to say....why are those hot rocks on top of the ground ? In any event, success.

Did Porky have any idea the hammer was coming ? lol

Yes he did as we had dispatched the pink one first and while we were processing it the brown one broke out of the pen, and tried to make a run for it he only got about fifty feet before the hammer came down.

Cheers
  • tonyb
    Options
    LOL.....pigs are smarter than most give them credit for. Though as soon as they put them out in the woods separate from the others, they should have known and gone on a starvation sit in. Nobody wants to slaughter a skinny pig.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    polk500 wrote: »
    Well I thought I had the pictures in order sorry about that and I just realized I don't have pictures of us pulling the pig from the pit. I will get some and post later..

Cheers

I was looking at the pictures and got totally confused. I was going to tell you that you had wasted a LOT of time burying, digging up, and reburying the pig throughout the day. Hell, at one point it looks like you pulled the pig out of the ground because you forgot to put the rub on. :D

Digging holes are so much easier with a tractor....
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • polk500
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    polk500 wrote: »

Cheers

I was looking at the pictures and got totally confused. I was going to tell you that you had wasted a LOT of time burying, digging up, and reburying the pig throughout the day. Hell, at one point it looks like you pulled the pig out of the ground because you forgot to put the rub on. :D

Digging holes are so much easier with a tractor....

Ya the hole was done with a backhoe, I had told then 3 x 6 and I think it turned out to be 7 x 8 and beer was probably a issue as well LOL