Pig Roast ? any thoughts suggestions

Options
polk500
polk500 Posts: 1,171
edited July 2016 in The Clubhouse
So we are having a pig roast in the middle of August at a friend’s place out in the Country. They have a hobby farm and are raising the little porker.
The pig should be around 80lbs dressed, and I’ve been voted in as the dispatcher and prime cook of said pig. Which is fine looking forward to it and looking for ideas, thoughts, recipes, best way to go about it, funny stories and so on. Figured I would see if any of you folks can offer advice.

Cheers

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,989
    Options
    Roast it a LONG time. I'm talking long time.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,862
    Options
    IIRC, it goes something like this. Dig a pit, lots of hot hardwood coals, place pig in pit, cover with banana leaves, roast for 24 hours.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,909
    Options
    Low and slow baby, and constantly mop that little piggy. Or you can do it the Hawaiian way, dig a pit, wrap it in banana leaves, Hot rocks on the bottom and cover it up.

Many ways to do it, you just have to pick your poison and go from there.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,323
    Options
    ^^ This but add some softball size stones with the coals to absorb the heat and release it slowly. Spice the inside and outside of pig with what spices you like with pork, put some apple halves or pineapple on the insde of cavity.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Yeah, that's right you have to add rocks.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dromunds
    Options
    And LOTS of coals.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Make sure you take before and after pics!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • tonyb
    Options
    That's what I said gents, "Hot rocks"....a must when doing a pit pig. Now I'm darn hungry for Pork. Dang you all...

Why does such a dirty animal taste soo good anyway ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • polk500
    Options
    Thanks guys, we are doing the pit method the plan is to start the day before the crowd (around 40) gets there. So should have plenty of time to get it cooked nice and slow.
    Funny story when to the farm for a visit the owners grandkids were there as well they told us no eye contact allow with the pig because he is going to be dispatched later this summer (I'm quite sure they have no Idea what dispatched means).They have the pig down it the woods away from the main area so it doesn't become a pet.

Cheers
  • tonyb
    Options
    Too late, I already named him Porky.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • polk500
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Make sure you take before and after pics!

Will do.

Any suggestions on a alternative to banana leaves as we don't have access to fresh one up north. I can get some frozen ones that I will get as in adds flavour apparently. But to get enough to wrap a whole pig isn't going to happen. So probably a few leaves and real heavy duty aluminum foil.

Cheers
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Substitute corn husks for banana leaves.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    All I can tell you, if you have never done a pit before you are in for a rude awakening.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • polk500
    Options
    All I can tell you, if you have never done a pit before you are in for a rude awakening.

Hmmm that don't sound good, would you care to elaborate or can I take from this comment that it tough and if you don't know what you're doing it's not going to turn out to well.

I know from research that it's not easy but we feel at this point we can pull it off.

Cheers
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,660
    Options
    Just remember where you buried it and you should be OK, lol...
  • littlewoodboats
    Options
    If Banana leaves are going to be a problem you can substitute wet burlap sacks. If the porker is 80 pounds bone in feeding 40 people could be a stretch. Cook low and slow

I buy burlap sacks at a local feed store.
  • polk500
    Options
    40 is the top end and half of those are kids. As for 80 lbs it's a guess at this point and it have 4 more weeks before the hammer comes down.
    Thanks for the input keep them coming.

Roger
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    As long as you have done lots of research and have help you should be ok. As Woodboats mentioned, burlap bags make a good alternative.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    I hope PETA doesn't see this thread. They might protest and call out to have the Polk Audio forum shut down. o:)
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    I hope PETA doesn't see this thread. They might protest and call out to have the Polk Audio forum shut down. o:)

People Eating Tasty Animals?

I think they'd want an invite.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • lightman1
    Options
    Erik Tracy wrote: »
    lightman1 wrote: »

People Eating Tasty Animals?

I think they'd want an invite.

Funny how the lunatic fringe goes to either side of the spectrum.
    I like tasty animals.
    And, oddly enough, just this morning I stopped to have a quick breakfast in Lexington, NC. The bacon overshadowed the four over medium on the plate. It was cut to an easy eating thickness and not burnt or raw. I could go on about the finer points....but we all know what bacon can do to us.....
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    aj8q86xp58w2.jpg
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • lightman1
    Options
    Atta boy, Ron!!!
  • polk500
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    aj8q86xp58w2.jpg

Hmmm I wish...
  • F1nut
    Options
    Hey now, you know talking about sausage is going to offend someone.

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Hey now, you know talking about sausage is going to offend someone.

....and make others smile too. We just like to be "all-inclusive" here on the Polk forum. :p
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    aj8q86xp58w2.jpg

HEY!....that picture has 2 BUTs!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,323
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    aj8q86xp58w2.jpg

HEY!....that picture has 2 BUTs!

I didn't even notice that there were words on the photo.
  • dromunds
    Options
    Somebody say something about buts?
  • polk500
    Options