CD Player biting the dust?

Options
2»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Try cleaning the lens. Also check for a loose connection as you may have bumped one while inside.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
    Options
    Alright....I spent awhile messing with it after cleaning the lens. It appears the laser pickup is actually hitting the bottom of the CD when a disc is pulled into the unit. I tried adjusting the height of the bottom disc which is spun by the motor....but now the bottom disc just pops off the spindle when trying to release from the top magnetic disc. ****. I'll try calling Teac repair Monday but this may indeed be toast.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Sounds like you damaged the optical pickup somehow when cleaning the lens.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kevhed72
    Options
    It was doing the same deal prior to cleaning it....I dunno. Almost as if the entire optical pickup which slides back and forth is misaligned with the CD tray.
    Perhaps time to invest is a good transport...thanks for the tips though.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Ok, sorry I didn't realize that. Highly unusual though.

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    It was doing the same deal prior to cleaning it....I dunno. Almost as if the entire optical pickup which slides back and forth is misaligned with the CD tray.

May have been the original issue???
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • F1nut
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    kevhed72 wrote: »

May have been the original issue???

Yep, so it would seem. I'd like to get my hands on it to see what happened.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    Looking at your last pic I can see the pickup hasn't come off the slides, so that's not it. I'm wondering if the bridge is sagging, maybe under the weight of the Dynamat? Can you tell if it is sagging?

President of Club Polk

• kevhed72
    Options
    It's tough to tell....I believe it's the original issue where the noise was being generated from maybe the disc rotating and possibly rubbing against the lens carriage. I'll drop you a pm....
  • kevhed72
    Options
    I have a short, close up video of exactly what is happening but I can't post it here. If anyone is interested drop me a PM and I can send it to you....unless the mods here can allow me to post it on this page. Thanks....
  • F1nut
    Options
    Got your PM and replied. Send me the video too.

President of Club Polk

• leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    Kevhed, no help here on your cdp. I do have one complaint. You, it does seem have a gear signature. You need an electron microscope to see your gear. Could you redo it for the betterment of us all. I also had micro font and I forgot how to enlarge the thing but it worked.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • JPete
    JPete Posts: 295
    Options
    Try a little lithium grease on the rails? Had an Adcom GCD 575 that started making clicking noise and not reading discs. A little grease got her going again.. ;) Just a suggestion as I'm no techie.
    Lexicon RT-10, Parasound P5, McCormack DNA 0.5, Polk SDA CRS+, SVS Sub
    Schiit Modi, Luminous Audio Axiom II, McCormack DNA-1, Digital Phase AP 2
    Marantz AV7701, Emotiva XPA-5, Paradigm 11se Mkii, DCM Time Windows, NHT 2C, SVS Sub

Spares - Kenwood C1 Pre, NAD 2200PE, Polk Monitor 10B, Polk Model 11, other odds and ends
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Kevhed, no help here on your cdp. I do have one complaint. You, it does seem have a gear signature. You need an electron microscope to see your gear. Could you redo it for the betterment of us all. I also had micro font and I forgot how to enlarge the thing but it worked.

44005693.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    Options
    Fixed.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    Playing an SACD.

z56h2vvrplrt.jpg

Playing a CD.

gzomh9xfms4t.jpg

President of Club Polk

• kevhed72
    Options
    Jesse.....thank you for repairing this player.....I alpreciate the help and enjoyed our audio talk the other day. You definitely know your stuff! Check your PM please....
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    The question remains....what was wrong with it that Jesse fixed? Curious minds wanna know!

That info cost mo' money ;)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a