Sometimes the best you can do is not go for perfect

Options

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Adiophilia Nervosa is an incurable disease
    not only that, it's illegal in 49 states.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Options
    Okay, its official!! Who had August 2016 in the "Joey packs it in" pool? I had March of this year, but damned if he didn't out last my guess!!
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Okay, its official!! Who had August 2016 in the "Joey packs it in" pool? I had March of this year, but damned if he didn't out last my guess!!
    My bet was divorce papers :p
    Or a visit from the men in white coats from the nutty farm

And always remember the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem :)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    4 svs sb ultras should cure you for good this time :hushed:
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    I had July. Close!
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    4 svs sb ultras should cure you for good this time :hushed:

Bahahahaha
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Joey if it makes you feel any better I'm picking up a pair of A9s tomorrow and I'm done finished no more. I'm where I want to be, I have said that many times but this is it for me time to enjoy the goodies, as long as modifications of some SDA'S don't count. I to will be joining you in this audiophile sobriety path you have chosen.

Russ don't forget to comb your face in the morning. :o
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Every day, Steve. It takes a lot of work to look this good.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Ya Ain't out of the Rabbit hole yet buddy! not by a long way and I'm talking to both you and Stevie'O >:)

If Scott makes it to Dallas early I told him we will Raid your house 1st before we head for Marvin's.

So please have plenty of Beer & Nacho! Thanks

2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    I call BS! ;)

I would have believed you Joey, except for the fact that you said that you are going to keep up with all the latest developments, and continue to go out and audition new stuff.

So long as you do that, you will keep wanting to scratch that itch.

Being done means being done. No auditioning, no keeping up with the newest tech, if smart, staying away from boards like these that only encourage you to keep searching.

So no you aren't done, and I hope your wife realizes it. Of course she will know the first time you go out to audition something.

Enjoy Joey. :)
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    I don't agree with Cathy about.......well anything, except this.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Options
    As someone once said: "perfect is the enemy of good".

In the end It's all about the music.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    Waitaminute?!?!

You see her every moring? :o
    She owe me thirty dollars!
    Tell her I wants my money! :D
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    I see perfection in the mirror every morning.

Then I push her out of the way so I can comb my face.

• Joey_V
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Quitter.......

I'm not here to pump you up as if you're making the right decision. I'm here living vicariously through you and I AIN'T DONE YET!

Open up that wallet bucko, we're going on a spending spree!

Aw heeee## no... I aint ever going shopping with you. Before you know it, I'd be stabbed or something.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Quitter.......

I'm not here to pump you up as if you're making the right decision. I'm here living vicariously through you and I AIN'T DONE YET!

Aw heeee## no... I aint ever going shopping with you. Before you know it, I'd be stabbed or something.

Like OMG it like terrorism or somethiiiinnnnng! :#>:)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Joey if it makes you feel any better I'm picking up a pair of A9s tomorrow and I'm done finished no more. I'm where I want to be, I have said that many times but this is it for me time to enjoy the goodies, as long as modifications of some SDA'S don't count. I to will be joining you in this audiophile sobriety path you have chosen.

Russ don't forget to comb your face in the morning. :o

I'm not listening to you either, Steve. Your avatar's been an exercise in denial for months now.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Yaknow Joey, as I sit here listening to my system...built with a $400 used amp,$120 speakers with $160 in mods so far and a replacement tweeter, deeply on sale AVR $1,200 down to under $900 after taxes, used at $200 speaker cables, $35 interconnects, dirt cheap clearance priced CDP and a second hand Oppo Blu-Ray/Universal player and my clod hands controlling it...one doesn't need to spend hundreds of thousands to get such good sound. I'm realizing for my budget I'm in a happy place too...just takes a good find here or there for something thaqt makes ya happy.

Tonight I heard my first SACD on it...yep this rig can hold it's own so far, just comes right down to getting it where the sound pleases you...no one else.

P.S. All figures in Canuck bucks...so reduce by 28% to get to aprox US dollars.

Impressive
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Quitter.......

I fail to recognize the issue here...I stab with love damnit!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    Options
    I think I only have a few things to complete (ceiling treatments, diffusors), some preamp tubes, and my room seating. Maybe a sub here and there.

I rubbed my eyes and had to read it a couple of times. There it is. I don't believe it at first but there it is!

Planning the budget for preamp tubes... :p
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I can enjoy music on pretty much anything. I always try to remember that. My shop rig is an old Pioneer SX-780 45watt 70's receiver and some Energy C-9's sourced by a 20 dollar used Toshiba DVD player, and on occassion I enjoy the heck out of it.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 342
    edited August 2016
    Options
    "Chasing hifi is not a good thing for the music lover, you just end up being obsessed with the best out there, and there's always something better or something newer than what you got."...True.

I know where you're coming from Joey & have been on a similar journey to you, and felt the same mixed emotions about my system. I saw big Vitus/Magico systems with mono blocks, Vitus Masterpiece Series gear and obviously wanted to reach that level of system. But you feel at times like you're striving to reach a target which is constantly moving & you feel like a mouse spinning around on a wheel...it gets exhausting.

I went through the same reflection, and asked what I wanted and what would make me happy. And although I still have a couple more purchases before I finish my system 'for now', I feel like sticking to an integrated amp has been the smartest move i've made. You can sink a lot of cash into separates, mono's & the requisite isolation and cables required.

I know the Magico M3's have now come out, and the temptation is to want to sell my S5 mk2's and aspire to own the latest and greatest thing, but I told myself the M3's are >$32k more (probably $45k after taking a hit selling my 'old' speakers). And at the end of the day, the S5 Mk2's have exactly the same midrange driver as the M3 & use many of the M3's design elements. And the bottom line is, the S5 Mk2's are bloody good speakers...they're now a very well sorted, complete design as suggested by their performance.

So with the exception of the couple of upgrades i've got planned in the next 12 months, my speakers, front end and cables are here to stay. In fact, the S5 mk2's will be my long-term reference speakers, and I will just continue to build my system and room around them. So yes it's about knowing when to say "I'm happy" and "They're good enough"!
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    It's been said a million and one times - as long as it sounds good to you, that is all that matters. Remember that this is a subjective hobby. I may think my set up sounds great and someone else may not. I don't know where it's going to go for me but I am pretty happy with what I have here. That's the whole point, I'm pretty happy with it. So, it should be approaching the point where I'm not messing with it anymore and I just get to enjoy it from time to time. A lot of people have found their sound and have pretty much stayed there. Nothing wrong with that at all and nothing wrong with further exploration. As long as it sounds good to you, that's all that matters in regards to your hi-fi :smile:
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Thanks @Nightfall for the private message....

Rockport Lyra eh?

Must resist...

theabsolutesound.com/articles/heroics-in-maine/
  • Joey_V
    edited August 2016
    Options
    LYRA-DS-CROP-1024x685.jpg

inner%20and%20outer%20housing%203000px%20SMALLER%20FILE.jpg

Thanks @Nightfall

Geez, bite the back of my hand gorgeous. I can't even imagine the heroic build that goes into 2 full aluminum enclosures with an elastomer sandwich.... that's just crazy talk for a small company like Rockport.

I remember my Rockport Aviors took 2 piano movers to move it, that was only 220lb each. This one is 500 lbs, 2 full aluminum enclosures with AN ADDITION of 150 lbs of elastomer in between (sandwiched).... holy crapola. Whoever buys this needs to have a 1st floor listening room probably 30x20 in size. Wow...

This speaker, whoever buys it, is going to be amazing.

Must not audition... keep happy with what I got.

hey.... it's ok to look right? Hahaha

• honestaquarian
    Options
    Joey
    Announcing you are going to stop buying Hi-Fi to a group of enthusiasts is about as smart as telling a bunch of broke,trailer park relatives you just won 50 million in the lottry! ;):#:D
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options

I like the look of the unfinished cabinets better than the finished version.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    Options
    Joey
    Announcing you are going to stop buying Hi-Fi to a group of enthusiasts is about as smart as telling a bunch of broke,trailer park relatives you just won 50 million in the lottry! ;):#:D

And damn, that comes from the guy with the pretty long list of stuff in the signature too. :smiley:
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • Joey_V
    Options
    halo wrote: »

I like the look of the unfinished cabinets better than the finished version.

I'm sure that can be arranged.

Andy payor would let you do whatever you want.

I spoke to him on the phone twice after I bought the Rockport Aviors... Easy to talk to and seemed to be a nice guy.

I casually asked him... Is there a new speaker that he was developing...

He said... Nothing to worry about in the Avior and Cygnus price range.

Little did I know... Him and his henchmen were up to no good...

Bravo Andy... Superb and heroic effort indeed.