Good set of sealed cans cheap?

2»

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    msg wrote: »
    V shaped sonic sound - lows and highs bumped?

Yup... But I really enjoy them personally.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Yeah, that's kind of how the old Bose Triports are. Can't quite get 12hrs out of them, but I enjoy them as well. Feel naked without them on, even if I'm not listening to music. Sometimes I just have them on to block out ambient noise.
    I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I got some time on these 40's and I like em ok the 558 are better in my opinion. I wish I had the ducats to try some noise cancelers but that is out of the question for now. I am just going to get a wye splitter to A/B them for fun. Thanks for all of the ideas!
  • msg
    Better how, Bruce?
    I'm kinda dipping a toe into HPs, myself.
    I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    msg, I am not good at reviews but the best I can tell you is that the SENNHEISER open backs sound more like listening to speakers in a real room, imaging, sound stage etc. Sounds better to me. I really do like both but it really depends on what I am looking for at the moment. I do like the boxed in and spaced out sound of the 40's too.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited August 2016
    Bruce I'm not an HP guy, but I don't think it's a good idea to use a Y cable as you are adding a load like putting speakers in parallel or series on a regular amp.

You would need an passive A/B switch
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    msg, I am not good at reviews but the best I can tell you is that the SENNHEISER open backs sound more like listening to speakers in a real room, imaging, sound stage etc. Sounds better to me. I really do like both but it really depends on what I am looking for at the moment. I do like the boxed in and spaced out sound of the 40's too.

I gotcha, Bruce.
    Yeah, so for my first impression, biggest thing I notice with open design is significantly less bass. Of course, I realize I've been listening to HPs with exaggerated bottom end for years, so I'm trying to take that into account. On the Senns I've been testing from an all too gracious buddy, I now know what it's like to experience a more balanced presentation now that there's midrange presence to speak of. It just sounded tinny to me at first, but my ears adjust as I switch, and it's probably more natural what I'm hearing with the Senns than the Bose. Like you, preference depends what I'm listening to and where. I also need a closed design for isolation at work.
    I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Bruce I'm not an HP guy, but I don't think it's a good idea to use a Y cable as you are adding a load like putting speakers in parallel or series on a regular amp.

You would need an passive A/B switch

You are probably right. I only thought of doing it because I am using this POS Emotiva "Little Ego" headphone DAC it will not accept the standard Senns mini adapter due to the sorry design from an even more pathetic company. Besides I kindda want to put phones on the ol lady too, that way we could be together while ignoring each other.

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    due to the sorry design from an even more pathetic company.

02b4419f5e8c5a153baf4b4f34e6f555ea138a6e47bb4b2e1d2684fa9b2c96db.jpg
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk