Minty SDA SRS 2 score

Options
Finally got to pick them up today from a co worker and original owner. Got the owners manual also. Friend came back from a vacation so I went over to get them.

I sold my JBL L80T and excess drivers for $480 on CL.

He did an excellent job painting the oak to a nice black. I really thought they were factory black. Everything is original. He said he has never even taken one screw out. Best part is he let me have them for $300.00!

Looking at the cross cable it appears to be Blade/Blade. One blade is wider than the other but does not look like a pin by any means. g7ztd1q61njm.jpg
htcz3ojh8es2.jpg
vrtopbz6n13m.jpg

So I think I will fix the RTA12Bs and use them to replace my Paradigms in the living room.

Comments

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    $3 bills sounds like a deal to me! Great score!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 725
    Options
    Very cool! @CH46E
    First pair of SDAs? Let us know what you think if so. I personally haven't had the pleasure of owning a pair yet.. I guess I need to stop pretending that I haven't thought about purchasing a pair lately.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,549
    Options
    Well actually I can't seem to get the imaging to center. Vocals just seem to be from the right.

My Yamaha YPAO is telling that the left front is out of phase. Is this normal to for YPAO to confuse the SDA with being out of phase?

I've checked twice and the speakers are hooked up correctly and placed as per the owners manual as best I can in my room. Which is really close to the minimum suggestions.

• CH46E
    Options
    Ok, I'm confused now.

I was playing Elton John Yellow Brick Road on SACD on a Denon DVD-2910 and the imaging was all to the right side.

We are now watching the Olympics from Direct TV and the imaging is so dead center I'd swear to God I'm on Dolby Digital. But it is on stereo.

WTH...... UUGGGH. Maybe I'll check my Denon set up and make sure it's not right side bias in the set up.

But still what about the YPAO showing left channel out of phase?
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    Room correction can be tricky to bad with SDAS. Also they need to be further apart, but be sure to leave about 4ft from sidewall.
  • CH46E
    Options
    Unfortunately I can't get that kind of clearing in this room. I have about 5 ft between then but only 24 inches from the side wall. Manual states 4 min between and three from the side walls. I wish I had a bigger room!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Try listening to music in "pure direct" mode.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Try listening to music in "pure direct" mode.

This
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• soulsurfer
    Options
    Chace, 'grats on the 'new' speaks.
    Carver TX-11b - Carver 4000t - Carver TFM45 x2 - Polk SDA SRS 2 (094 tweets) - RSL CG 8^2 (Howard's XO upgrade + driver upgrade = 350w rms and amazeball toanz)
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    CH46E wrote: »
    Unfortunately I can't get that kind of clearing in this room. I have about 5 ft between then but only 24 inches from the side wall. Manual states 4 min between and three from the side walls. I wish I had a bigger room!

That's about what I have with my 2b and the imaging is great so that shouldn't be as much of an issue.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Rex81
    Rex81 Posts: 193
    Options
    Great score. I LOVE my SRS 2. Your setup isn't ideal, but you should still get proper imaging. At first I thought you might have an issue that needs to be addressed, like not getting sound from one speaker's dimensional driver, but then when you said you were getting a dead center image from the Olympics, it's probably an issue with the receiver's settings, like others have said. It's a shame you have to drive these wonderful speakers off a Yamaha receiver. They really deserve better...

Have you thought of moving these into a different room with a longer wall and dedicating them to 2 channel music with a dedicated amp? That's where they'll shine.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Rex81 wrote: »
    Great score. I LOVE my SRS 2. Your setup isn't ideal, but you should still get proper imaging. At first I thought you might have an issue that needs to be addressed, like not getting sound from one speaker's dimensional driver, but then when you said you were getting a dead center image from the Olympics, it's probably an issue with the receiver's settings, like others have said. It's a shame you have to drive these wonderful speakers off a Yamaha receiver. They really deserve better...

Have you thought of moving these into a different room with a longer wall and dedicating them to 2 channel music with a dedicated amp? That's where they'll shine.

Agreed, the 2's are a pretty good load. A dedicated 2-channel amp. would be a much better option to power them with.

The SRS 2's are the model I broke my SDA Cherry with years ago, they are special.

N'joy!

• pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    Options
    First, make sure the center channel is not running. As mentioned try things in Pure Direct mode, or a baseline, no Room-EQ 2Ch setting. The latter should sound the same as Pure Direct.

http://pdfstream.manualsonline.com/f/f3fc4f77-c978-4694-8a96-5ec6355db21a.pdf

Go to page 3, "System Check-Out"

Try some mono source music or preferably white or pink noise. Manual tuning FM to static may work, but I think it is still in "stereo" even though the stereo light is not lit. I did not see a true mono setting on that receiver.

Or on page 7, with FM white noise (stereo is fine) or well balanced music, move the balance full left, sound should be coming out of the left inside drivers, and right outside drivers. When you move it the balance full right, sound should be coming out of the right inside and left outside drivers.
    (PS I can't find the manual that talks about doing this).

With your location and set up you may have a fairly small sweet spot which can make the sounds appear to shift predominately right or left. If everything is setup and working properly but still sounds odd at times for 2Ch, try putting a blanket or something up on your right wall. It could be reflections. I have a similar set up, but a window near by. Thankfully there are curtains. If the curtains are open, it can sound a little funny, but nothing as varying as you described.

As mentioned until you know everything is working fine in something like Pure Direct mode, using their Room-EQ to set things up can have mixed results. I set mine up manually for surround sound. I entered in the speaker distances, and then played with the settings a little. I think I had to narrow the actual speaker width some. I think people have gotten decent setups by setting up the mains manually, but allowing Room-EQ's to tweak the other speakers.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Great speakers !
  • CH46E
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will turn off all processing and see how it does.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    I would also run any calibration with the interconnect disconnected...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • CH46E
    Options
    I removed the cross cable and ran YPAO. Then hooked it back up and the sound is awesome. A few small tweaks and some room treatmentservice and it should really shine.
  • CH46E
    Options
    Does anyone know if the wood on top and bottom of the speaker (that show outside the grill) are anything more that cosmetic?

They would or would not be responsible for air tightness????
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    They are bolted on and yes, a possible source of an air leak.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• stogie
    stogie Posts: 230
    Options
    On my SRS's all the bolts needed tightening and two were stripped out where they go into the wood.
    Speakers: Polk SDA-SRS xovers rebuilt by David, RDO194's, Dynamat, BH5, glued magnets, new cloth, custom aluminum terminal plates with Cardas posts and Speakon interconnect
    Speaker Cables, Jumpers & Interconnect: DIY Douglas Connection
    Power Amp: Sunfire Architect's Choice Series II
    Preamp: Adcom GFP-750
    SACD/CD: Oppo BDP-95
    Tuner: Sansui TU-717
    TT: Technics SL-MA1
    Phono Pre: Emotiva XPS-1
    Music Server: Mac Mini w/JRiver - iPad w/JRemote
    DAC: Eastern Electric MiniMax Plus
    Other Polks: SDA: 1A, 1C, 2B, CRS+ / Monitor: 10A, 5jr, 4 / RT5
  • [Deleted User]
    Options