better or best-Adcom pre/am or NAD 1020a or 1020b

Options
Finding myself home again w/ the itch of wanting a vintage pre amp i kinda settled on an Adcom model not readily known or my love affair w/ the NAD 1020a pre which was very responsive and did what I needed sans a remote. Cruising E-Bay I noticed a NAD 1020b pre which I never heard of. Any of you out there w/ any experience w/ the B model and how much better could it really be above the A model if at all. Yes I know it also has no remote but if you guys could suggest something in this price range and quality I would be really greatful..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Nad-1020B-Stereo-Preamplifier-W-Original-Box-/331907179851?hash=item4d4735a54b:g:jOUAAOSww9VXhW4d

2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    You can snag a B&k AV30 pre amp for about 150 bucks. They all come with a remote, connections up the ying yang, and good quality dacs built in.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The Carver pre's are fun in the right room w/ the right set-up.
    Unfortunately, they have a lot of fan$.

I liked the NAD sound but I'm not sure I'd go that way today.
    What amp to pair w/?
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    Options
    I believe the differences between the A and B models were in the phono stage, and the location of the mm/mc switch.
    My 1020 was completely torn apart, recapped, cleaned, and the back panel jacked removed and resoldered. Before restoration, it was a tad muddy and noisy. Now paired with the DNA 0.5, I think I would hard pessed to replace it without spending significant coin, or moving to tubes.
    I bought mine 25 years ago, and the refresh was $175, and to my ears, some of the best audio money I have spent.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Besides what has been mentioned, I am going to throw the Adcom GFP565, Integra p304 or p308, and Kenwood Basic C2 into the ring
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    I think I had a lead on a Parasound P-5 I think(not sure of model #) going for $200 from the Klipsch Garage Sale Site a ways back when I had no funds but 2 bills for a unit that did everything plus the remote is a great deal. The Adcoms I do not want a tuner built in at all in any unit and if not going w/ the NAD it must have a remote. I'll still wait and using Heiny's logic do your research as if your life depended upon it and it was your last piece you were going to get. Never a truer a word ever spoken !!!
    Thanks for the help and when money is in hand I will and this is a promise to let you dudes know where to steer me...Lew

http://www.audioholics.com/av-preamp-processor-reviews/parasound-halo-p-5-stereo-preamplifier
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    Sorry, I always forget something. I did have an Onkyo P-301. It had all the inputs you could use and I found it's achilles heel was the amplifier output ports would give way and make for a bad connection or throw a channel out right. The P-3150v a more updated version was ok and those motorized volume pots mesmerized me to no end like looking at McIntosh meters of the 2105s or Jerry's 2300s What can I say, it's the simple things in life that turn me on,to be polite......

• soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,387
    Options
    Haven't heard the NAD, have heard the adcoms (about 1/2 dozen of them) take the NAD.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    You can snag a B&k AV30 pre amp for about 150 bucks. They all come with a remote, connections up the ying yang, and good quality dacs built in.

I have one of these, the DAC is awesome.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    200 for a p5 is a bargain!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • JPete
    JPete Posts: 295
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    200 for a p5 is a bargain!

Yes, yes it is.
    Lexicon RT-10, Parasound P5, McCormack DNA 0.5, Polk SDA CRS+, SVS Sub
    Schiit Modi, Luminous Audio Axiom II, McCormack DNA-1, Digital Phase AP 2
    Marantz AV7701, Emotiva XPA-5, Paradigm 11se Mkii, DCM Time Windows, NHT 2C, SVS Sub

Spares - Kenwood C1 Pre, NAD 2200PE, Polk Monitor 10B, Polk Model 11, other odds and ends