Boston VR-M50 - thoughts?

Options
EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,546
Looking at maybe a set of these. Would love opinions on them.

I know @scubalab has the VR-M60 towers and loves them, but I'm not finding tons of info on them given their age..
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    Dan,
    The M50's and the M60's are both bookshelf models. I have both. The 60s use a 6" woofer and the 50s use a 5". Both use the Lynnfield tweeters.

My fronts (VR-M60):
    j7upta1zkpiv.jpeg

My rears (VR-M50):
    cmflro9ejvmk.jpeg

Check with Cathy @cfrizz. I believe she has Bostons too. I know she has the same center as I do, but not sure about her other speakers.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    @scubalab

Are the dimensions on the VR-M50's ~9 wide x ~7 tall x ~9 deep? I find conflicting info on those lol.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • EndersShadow
    Options
  • scubalab
    Options
    @scubalab

Are the dimensions on the VR-M50's ~9 wide x ~7 tall x ~9 deep? I find conflicting info on those lol.....

My 50s are 7-1/8" wide by 9-1/2" tall by 9" deep.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    scubalab wrote: »
    @scubalab

My 50s are 7-1/8" wide by 9-1/2" tall by 9" deep.

Good I LIKE this dimesions since my Sonys at 10 wide were too much. I can deal with the depth within reason.

Do they do well straight on or need toe in?
  • scubalab
    Options
    I have them all (fronts and rears) toe'd in a bit. I haven't done much 2-channel listening with them, so I can't say for sure if it's better for stereo listening.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    I have the Boston VR920 center channel. It is now my only Boston speaker.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • simm
    simm Posts: 562
    Options
    I have both the 50's and 60's and love them. I bought a pair of 703's during the last friends and family so haven't been using them the last few months but really think I prefer the Bostons. I have been using them since 1999.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Well I bought them.... They looked to be in very good shape so I paid a bit more than I wanted to, but the fact I can attach them to stands via an actual thread in the cabinet made it worth it to me.

Really hope they sound better than my Sonys lol....
  • simm
    Options
    I think you will be pleased.
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    I too think you'll enjoy the Boston speakers too Enders. Home Entertainment stores carried the Boston Acoustics line for many_ years and I knew a few folks that bought various BA speakers over the years. All were very happy with the Boston line. Enjoy!
  • scubalab
    Options
    Dan, I agree with the others chiming in that I think you'll be really impressed with not only the sound, but also the build quality of the VR series. I've seen other BA speakers that didn't really 'wow' me from a quality of craftsmanship standpoint, but the VR series were made very well. Solid (heavy) little bookies with nice finishing touches like the piano black tops, the gold Allen screws mounting the tweeter, the beveled corners, and the binding posts. Be careful with the plastic guards over the tweeters... they're nice, but can be fragile. I have one that's cracked - doesn't affect it and thankfully, you can't even see it.

The threaded insert on the bottom is a great feature. I had my 60's mounted to some nice stands before I built the shelves for them. They were rock solid!

Let us know what you think when you get them.

Now you can focus on your DIY sub & amp!
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Dan, I agree with the others chiming in that I think you'll be really impressed with not only the sound, but also the build quality of the VR series. I've seen other BA speakers that didn't really 'wow' me from a quality of craftsmanship standpoint, but the VR series were made very well. Solid (heavy) little bookies with nice finishing touches like the piano black tops, the gold Allen screws mounting the tweeter, the beveled corners, and the binding posts.

If they don't I'm coming after you :smile: jk....
    Be careful with the plastic guards over the tweeters... they're nice, but can be fragile. I have one that's cracked - doesn't affect it and thankfully, you can't even see it.

Yeah, because its me and I plan for the worst, I'm likely going to keep my eyes out for some replacement grills/drivers, etc. This assuming I like the sound.

I might even try for that "good condition" pair (that has cabinets that are totally destroyed) on CL in Chicago for like 50 bucks lol....

The threaded insert on the bottom is a great feature. I had my 60's mounted to some nice stands before I built the shelves for them. They were rock solid!

That was one of the main selling features. Now to design a DIY stand that will use that lol...
    Now you can focus on your DIY sub & amp!

As you know the hard part of that is done since I have the sub and enclosure built and just need an amp and a miniDSP and then need to clad the enclosure to fit my needs.

• scubalab
    Options
    I think you'll like 'em Dan! And if you don't like the cherry finish, let me know and I'll swap you for my black 50s. That cherry would go great in our HT with our cherry wainscoting... I'm a little envious!

As for stands, are you looking freestanding, or wall mounting them? If wall mounting, you could go as simple as a piece of metal angle iron painted black with a couple mounting holes to attach to the wall in a stud and a single hole in the base for the attachment to the speaker. He11, even a shelf bracket should work! I think I got my wall mounts for the rears on Amazon. They were cheap and they work great. Only thing with them is the base is curved for angling them, so it was not possible to drill a hole to utilize the threaded mount on the bottom of the speakers. Even without that, they are very sturdy and aren't going anywhere. Additionally, mine are mounted high - way out of reach of little hands.

If you're looking for freestanding, a couple pieces of 1x4 painted/stained for the risers, and a nice slab base. Your 'shelf' could be 1x8x10 screwed from the top to the risers. Just make sure to leave enough space in between the risers to access the mounting screw for the speaker from underneath the shelf. That'd be an easy, fun little project!
  • simm
    Options
    The Sanus SF stands have the hole in the plate and the bolt to attach the speaker to it. I used, I believe, 28" stands filled with sand for my VR-M60's and have never had a problem with them. The stands are pretty reasonably priced.
  • EndersShadow
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I think you'll like 'em Dan! And if you don't like the cherry finish, let me know and I'll swap you for my black 50s. That cherry would go great in our HT with our cherry wainscoting... I'm a little envious!

Aint happening lol... the cherry finish sealed the deal on the cabinets lol...

.......If you're looking for freestanding, a couple pieces of 1x4 painted/stained for the risers, and a nice slab base. Your 'shelf' could be 1x8x10 screwed from the top to the risers. Just make sure to leave enough space in between the risers to access the mounting screw for the speaker from underneath the shelf. That'd be an easy, fun little project!

Freestanding for sure... have some "inspiration" stands saved (images below)..

s-l500.jpg

TGMR_1.jpg

stand_riser.jpg

10433.jpg

usher-4.gif

The below would use two beams and have a hollow section to fill with sand/shot, and allow for connection of the mounting screw and a gap to run speaker wire....

18473187499_227bef4164_c.jpg

18659479555_12ed9db405_z.jpg

18661702851_4ea9b526fa_z.jpg

18471676880_9fb54babbd_z.jpg
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    They arrived this morning and I've got to give the seller PROPS for his packaging.

To say I was leery of having speakers shipped to me from a eBay seller would be an UNDERSTATEMENT. I went in with the assumption they would be packaged bad, but I was very surprised.

4FA76849-4214-4D76-9D29-819AE00C7782.jpg

468C35F3-4E22-4EDF-90E7-97ED6DA24E81.jpg

Each speaker was triple wrapped in bubble wrap that was form fitted to the speaker. Again pleasantly surprised.

4B331AE4-1494-4EBE-A650-C2E939F88640.jpg

Now they are unwrapped sitting on my desk...

52C138BF-2034-4D54-917C-7AA1F4337B1F.jpg

The cabinets are in VERY GOOD shape with very few noticeable nicks to the veneer and the piano gloss black top is in perfect shape.

Tonight when I get home I plan to test em quick, then use the following products, unless @F1nut tells me not to (since he's the resident expert on restoring wood veneer I'd bet):

mos-original-lg.pngd072ab2e-a3fe-4968-9d46-9fa98ed9cbf2_1.e1001d36889e0e6f55625da7a375fd1b.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

First the front/side/bottom/rear will get wiped down with a damp rag with a mixture of warm water and Murphys Soap Oil. After that, they will be wiped down with a clean towel, and then after that the top/side/front will be wiped down with a rag with Lemon Oil. The top will NOT be included in this, as I will just keep wiping it down with a lint free cloth, and if needed a damp lint free cloth... The bottom is just black so it will just get wiped down, but there is no veneer there so the lemon oil would be a waste.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    These are my favorite towels for my audio gear, especially gloss paints and black lacquers

I have no swirl marks
    http://www.autozone.com/wash-mitts-chamois-and-other-wash-and-wax-accessories/cloths-towels-and-chamois/clean-tools-27-x-17-in-the-absorber-chamois/200030_0_0/

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    And then they'll be the best smelling speakers ever. Run with it, Dan!
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    These are my favorite towels for my audio gear, especially gloss paints and black lacquers

I have no swirl marks
    http://www.autozone.com/wash-mitts-chamois-and-other-wash-and-wax-accessories/cloths-towels-and-chamois/clean-tools-27-x-17-in-the-absorber-chamois/200030_0_0/

Might stop and get some of those on the way. I've got a nice cloth, but could use a couple extras. My LSi 15's are overdue for a cleaning too and we've got company coming over on the 4th, so its a good excuse lol.

These are fine to put the soap oil and lemon oil on as well as just to wipe down the piano black gloss correct
    lightman1 wrote: »
    And then they'll be the best smelling speakers ever. Run with it, Dan!

Yup, there's that too lol... My Infinity RS-II's smelled GREAT when I did this on them and it really brought back the finish on the wood, which in their case they needed. These aren't really that bad, but figured I might as well just do it anyway.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    I've never used oil on them
    Never had to oil my wood, just clean and spit shine B)
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• EndersShadow
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I've never used oil on them

lol.... well then I will just use regular hand towels for the oil and then dry/wipe them down with those.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Let them set

I wouldn't use the chamois' till the next cleaning

• EndersShadow
    Options
    Let them set

I wouldn't use the chamois' till the next cleaning

so regular towels for this first time cleaning and wipedown. Then for next time, which should just be a regular wipe down (baring kids getting crap on them) use the chamois'
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    You don't want to incorporate excessive moisture with oil as it may spot or show discoloration

Those absorbers have a dampness. I like them for general wipe downs because they are virtually lint free, and just slightly damp. Also no circles. I just to a back to front wipe on my gear just to pick up the dust.

• scubalab
    Options
    Just do it Rick!

Well Dan, anxiously awaiting your impressions...
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Got home changed and mowed and weed eated two yards.

Then took care of the kido's and ate....

Then put them to bed....

Finally at 10 I got a minute or two to check these babies out. I had JUST enough time to make sure all the drivers worked and then clean em. I turned off XT32 (setup for my LSi 15's), crossed them over at 80hz, threw them into "stereo" mode, and then queuded up Pandora via my Xbox One.....

Wont comment on sound yet since I have like 15 minutes on them.....

Pics...

Quick driver tests:

2E02C6BD-2105-4ACA-B348-463D17FCCB17.jpg

The supplies:
    0976F279-A45C-4F90-A210-EBB42F5CB987.jpg

Cleaned with soap oil and ready for Lemon oil
    B9207233-9CE4-4622-805C-DF897CD99062.jpg

Lemon oil applied
    B9781D5C-FB9F-4651-8666-146D49F86663.jpg

First one done..
    D998BBC5-93C6-4EF7-B286-D5998BD1EDCD.jpg

A/B compare:
    B47227A0-2750-4A15-ACC5-CA68E114D012.jpg

From here I deoxit'd the binding posts and clips to remove the old soot on them and now I'm drinking a Diet MD, relaxing a couple mins before hitting the hay.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Rick88 wrote: »
    Looking great Dan! I'm anxious to hear your thoughts after you get some time with them... B)

Yeah. I'm home sick today, but with two kids to take care of, still aint happening lol...

Hope to run ARC this weekend with them connected up to the Anthem and go from there.

Also looking at finalizing a design for the custom speaker stands I want to build to see if I can get those done this weekend with some help from my Father in law. Or at least version 1 lol...

Found a set of 12' signal cable ultra speaker cables for a decent price I may try to snatch up too so I've got something better than my makeshift Audioquest FLX 14/4 w Monster Audio quick disconnects on em lol....
  • EndersShadow
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Here is a image of the stands I plan to build to use for now. Long term I plan to try and either build or buy a set VERY similar to that usher stuff I posted earlier in the thread.

Stands are fairly basic using 1" thick wood with a hollow section in the middle, a hole to use the attachment screw on the bottom of the speaker, and a cutout for cable management as well (forgot to include that cutout in the bottom plate, but will just drill a decently wide hole there).

Plan to attach the pieces together with locktite and then L-brackets on the inside for the front to side connections so there are no holes to fill. The rear will be screwed directly into the sides. I will screw through the bottom plate into the front/sides/back and same with the top plate.

The hollow section will be filled with sand or shot. Given there will be holes for cable routing at the top and bottom, the sand or shot will be put into Ziploc bags (double bagged at that) first then loaded into the stand so it doesn't spill out.

I will potentially change the height of the sides/front/rear to 22" - 24" which would make the stand 24" - 26" (adding width of top and bottom plate) to allow for me to spike it and still keep the total height under 38" tall with the speakers on top.

After that's done I will probably stain it a dark mahogany or espresso to match the entertainment stand and contrast the cherry in the speakers.

Thoughts appreciated.

1E6EB0CC-E5C1-48F0-BD8D-FD3EF7423462.jpeg
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Some pictures of the measurements and how I have them temporarily positioned...

wgy9fbiheerv.jpg
    gdfigs0a9jek.jpg