Pioneer SA-500/TX-500 Project

2»

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Man, you guys have the patience of Saints, along with fantastic DIY skills. That looks too darn good Jess, excellent job.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Looks great. So-How does it sound when hooked to speakers ? :)
    Randy/Maine
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Sounds nice. I've got a pair of modded Pioneer 22's hooked up.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited June 2016
    (nm; late to the party)
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    I decided I didn't like the tiered Pioneer emblem support, so I changed it to this, which I like a lot better. Not surprisingly, the sound quality didn't change.

on7wkkpbj2y9.jpg

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• footwedge
    footwedge Posts: 475
    Guess I missed this thread until now. Love me some vintage pioneers. My '80 SX 880 is rocking my garage. You have some serious skills and she looks beautiful.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Very Clean and classy look. I'm glad I found this area of forum to get some ideas. I acquired a Qx949 yesterday and want to install new LEDs and machine taller billet feet. Do all the old pioneer units have the same type fuse lamps? And where do we geta set?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    Impressive work Jesse. Hats off.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • F1nut
    xschop wrote: »
    Very Clean and classy look. I'm glad I found this area of forum to get some ideas. I acquired a Qx949 yesterday and want to install new LEDs and machine taller billet feet. Do all the old pioneer units have the same type fuse lamps? And where do we geta set?

I'm not familiar with that piece. Are you sure it has fuse type lamps as some use the bayonet type.

Regardless, you can contact Don at deh12110@yahoo.com for replacement LED versions. He'll know what goes in yours. He doesn't always answer emails right away, but he will get back to you.

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    Ok thanks F1. Ill send him request and tell him you sent me.
    On bracket shims you can start with oversize flat bar and mill/flycut to tolerance then bend in vice. The pic of that uJoint looks just like an old BMW steering shaft joint.
  • F1nut
    You have the machines required to make such things as the "L" bracket, I don't. ;)

That plastic coupling was a project saver. The standard coupling is a non-flexible brass tube, piece of junk. I tried a flexible metal coupling first, but the plastic version works better.

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    You can also weld the proper shim washer that are widely available to a lower steel bracket. Not as clean-looking, but no milling required.

On a side note, what is the height of those stacked units?
  • F1nut
    With the aftermarket feet, which are taller than the stock junk, the stack is just under 9" high.

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    That's the width of a 5jr. That would be a sweet looking combo...sounding as well I Imagine.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Looks great..awesome work!
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited February 2017
    What era is this stuff from?

We have an old Pioneer a SX-780 receiver, think from about 1978-1980, sitting somewhere, and it is fairly similar looking.
  • F1nut
    Circa 1969/1970.

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    F1, what kind/type wire do you use to solder between gold RCA pin and PCB?
    Thanks
  • F1nut
    I reused the stock wire.

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    Guess I should have asked what to replace with if upgrading those wires?
  • F1nut
    Upgrading them would been a major PITA as they run all over the place in very tight quarters and most are wire wrap connections. However, I did upgrade the binding post wire because it was a joke.

Are you looking to do your Yamaha? If so, you'll need to consider what gauge wire will fit before choosing the brand.

Here's what the underside looks like.

j0i79xmdbk54.jpg

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    I plan on doing my classic Akai soon. First I might practice on the shop CD player. It has metal prong/housing the RCAs that's why I asked about wire. I have some 18g multistrand OFC that looks like the right diameter to solder in the pin and PCB.
  • F1nut
    Right, I'm sure you'll do fine.

President of Club Polk

• cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    edited March 2018
    F1nut wrote: »
    cnathu1zfrvf.jpg

4eht5exkddti.jpg

F1nut, would you mind sharing the source for the black fiber mounting plate? Would they cut to any soecifyed size?

Great work on these units!

Thank you
  • F1nut
    There are any number of sources for black FR4 online. One place that will cut to size with limits is American Epoxy. They have a minimum order and charge for cutting. However, they are not all that careful about scratching it, so I can't really recommend them. If you have a buddy with a bandsaw or tile cutter talk to them as I'm pretty sure American Epoxy will not cut small pieces like I made.

President of Club Polk

• cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    Thank you for info, I want to to the same in a Model 1060 refurb, it certainly looks very clean.
  • F1nut
    It really is best to cut it yourself. Remember to wear a good mask as you don't want to inhale the dust. The edges are a bit gray after cutting, so use a wide tip black marker on them. Another tip, use new drill bits for any holes you need to make.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    The .93 FR4 I use will not flex, but yes, absolutely use a backing board when drilling and clamp the FR4 down to it using padded clamps.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Good...I ain't as dumb as I look lol. I have to drill thru sheetmetal sometimes at work and using even a piece of scrap 2x4 behind the thin metal helps prevent blow through and a messy hole. Simple solution...and cheap lumber like that is easy to get.

No, you're pretty smart. B)

President of Club Polk