Salamander + Sony = Happy Me.

Major overhaul to the HT/2 channel system for me. Thanks to many on this forum I've purchased a new AV cabinet and TV. With recommendations from Nightfall, DK and others I picked-up a modified Salamander Synergy 345. The cabinet is very nice, well built and sturdy as a tank. It was modified to fit my huge center channel and I have a few shelves open for future purchases. With the Synergy placed a little distance away from the back wall, I can finally and easily swap out cables to try out some different brands.

I have been also looking to upgrade my rear projection TV for some time. When I finally choose the make and model I wanted, DSkip (@ AudioThesis) set me up on a great deal for a Sony XBR75X940C (75" 4K Smart TV). So far, it is an awesome TV. Picture quality, sound (when not using the pre/pro), apps and upscaling are excellent. The camera on my phone cannot do the picture quality any justice from my low lighted basement. Thanks Derek.

Also, one more thanks to Rick88 for suggesting the Crossroads BluRay featuring ZZ Top (in the photo) and many other groups. I can't tell you how many times I've watched this blasting in 7.2!!!

Everyone enjoy the holiday weekend!

a63qz4wnywm6.jpg
tv1innevtcyj.jpg
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
DAC: Bricasti M1SE
Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics

Comments

• Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Thanks guys. I'll have to check out box trolls. I never even heard of it.

Rick, I'm in metro Detroit. My door is always open to a fellow Polkie. If you're ever out this way send me a PM. BlueFox weekend has already started for me. However, I was only on brewski #2 when I made the post. I'm a short guy but not a light weight! I went back to edit it into another section with no avail.

The Salamander and Sony are not for sale. However, I do have a perfectly working Mitsubishi Rear Projection 1080i TV I can let go for very cheap....LOL. B)
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Mike, that setup looks great. Which Crossroads BD is that?

I watch the Crossroads from Wrigley Field OFTEN. There is something magic about ZZ Top coming onto the stage.

There are so many great artists on the Crossroads videos. My music has expanded greatly watching them. Keb Mo has become one of my favorite artists; he is a really great in-person entertainer.

If you like The Eagles, another great multi-channel video is the The Eagles - Farewell 1 Tour - Live From Melbourne. I rate it as the best recorded concert I have ever seen, and better than most live concerts I have seen. The horn section of that tour was unbelievable. I have watched it at least 20-30 times in the past few years. The crowd is a wonderful part of the concert. The people who attended that concert did not pay enough for tickets.
    Harry - Marietta GA
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    Nice! And congrats on reaching a point of satisfaction. That's kind of the layout I'm leaning toward as well - out, as opposed to up. Looks fantastic.

I just looked up that Salamander unit. When you say "modified", do you mean removed the middle doors and made an adjustment to lower the shelf for the center? I like this idea better than placing a big center on top and having to raise the tv.
    I disabled signatures.
  • dagame27
    dagame27 Posts: 560
    edited May 2016
    msg wrote: »
    Nice! And congrats on reaching a point of satisfaction. That's kind of the layout I'm leaning toward as well - out, as opposed to up. Looks fantastic.

I just looked up that Salamander unit. When you say "modified", do you mean removed the middle doors and made an adjustment to lower the shelf for the center? I like this idea better than placing a big center on top and having to raise the tv.

I did the same thing. It makes sense to go wide if you have the room for it, especially with how wide the larger TV's are nowadays. I have one that is 3 shelves wide by 2 tall (can't remember the brand/name off the top of my head). This particular Salamander unit looks great!
    ChrisPreamp: Anthem Pre 2L (Jan-Phillips Green) Processor: Integra DHC 80.2Amp: B&K 200.5Streaming: Bluesound Node 2IDAC: Eastern Electric Minimax Plus4K Bluray: Panasonic UB820Mains: Von Schweikert VR2Center: Von Schweikert LCR15Analysis Plus Cables
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    @BlueBirdMusic - it's the 2010 Crossroads. It don't have the Eagles video but will put it on the top of my list to order. Thanks for the recommendation.

@msg - Yes. You can basically order the bare platform and add-on (doors, sides, etc.) or slightly modify their design. I had them lower (cut the main support) the middle shelf to fit my center but also have room below for my pre/pro and amp. I did not really want the doors covering the pre/pro so that I could read the display without having to have the door open. You do not have to order the doors when you start with just the platform.

I did not want the center on top of the cabinet. I would have had to raise the TV too high for viewing. And with all the equipment I have, I really didn't want to purchase a smaller/shorter cabinet with less shelves. I also like the look of the center in the cabinet as opposed to on top. The wife also approves.

Salamander was the only commercial maker I could find that would fit the center and also offer customization.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Yes, the 2010 Crossroads was the one in Chicago's Wrigley Field. I had never been a ZZ Top regular until I saw them on that BD.

I agree with you regarding the center speakers. My lady friend has Paradigm Studio's and Paradigm make really big center speakers. We tried and tried to find a unit that would allow her center speaker to be in the unit as opposed to "on top". She never purchased a new unit. I will have to show her your Salamander unit.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA